M1152

NJ LAWMAKERS ANNOUNCE PLANS TO DESTROY RIGHT TO CARRY

1 minute ago, Scorpio64 said:

Over the past few years my weight has started fluctuating more between warm and cold seasons.   I got into the habit of buying pants with stretchy/adjustable waistbands.

American Eagle jeans are mostly Flex. They all have softer and stretchy. 

6 hours ago, DAHL said:

The good news coming off yesterday was that the Sielgel vs Platkin and the Koons vs Reynolds cases were combined and will be sent back to judge Bumb.  The complaints of the entire case are now up for review by judge Bumb and it is unknown what parts will fall under the TRO and what parts will not.  For instance the part of the law that takes the issuing authority away from the courts could stand but all of the higher fees and the other parts of the law that require registration of all firearms may also be maintained. The state has yet to make its move but I would not rule out an appeal to the third circuit court to rescind the TRO. 

"other parts of the law that require registration of all firearms may also be maintained." I read the law, where is this stated? I must have missed it. I am under the impression that reg is voluntary other than the implicit reg one creates by submitting the Qual paperwork with has the Model and S/N.

7 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

this consolidation of the cases is good for us then?

I'd say so.   Judge Bumb gave us what we wanted in the Koons TRO request, and bitch-slapped the state of NJ pretty hard is a wise and impartial judge with a firm grasp of constitutional law.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Walkinguf61 said:

No, but it can get you in to trouble. Both with the general population and the police. A 911 call “ man with gun” is one— I will let you ponder all the ways that can go bad. 

Its unfortunate that peoples ignorance in their phrasing can elevate a situation beyond what it needs to be. When I worked at a range we were instructed if there was ever an accident involving a firearm, we were specifically to call it a "training accident" when speaking to dispatch. Saying someone was shot was a surefire way to have swat roll in hard.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Over the past few years my weight has started fluctuating more between warm and cold seasons.   I got into the habit of buying pants with stretchy/adjustable waistbands.

That helps. When my weight is on the low side for me, I have no trouble concealing G26. When I get a little fatter, I either go to single stack or get bigger pants. I also have a holster/belt/band systems for when I wear sweatpants. Some systems and positions are better than others . I have boxes of holsters, not just drawers full, that I have collected over the years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

this consolidation of the cases is good for us then?

Judge Bumb has Bruen pretty well outlined "road mapped" with how to assess sensitive places. That was the argument for consolidation. Williams reviewed and agreed with it. It's not "in favor" for us or the state, it simply reiterates what Bruen would allow as a restriction. The state wanted Williams to create her own road map, using the states absurd logic. Williams saw no reason to hash out something she already said was what she would have conclude herself. 

So yes, it's good considering we know where the bar is set, but then again Williams could have set that same bar by her own admission. It really just moves things along faster for us. 

Either way we know in writing Bumb is a REAL JUDGE. That's the win. The remaining sensitive places will follow the same strict reasoning as the ones already 

• Like 2

The mistake that many made was about Judge Karen Williams. She is a Biden appointee but has proven to be a moderate, fair and even handed jurist. Whatever way the case went the result would have been the same. We read that the Murphy administration would have preferred Judge Williams thinking that she could legislate from the bench on the carry ban but she stuck with strict constitutional principles and applied them fairly. Judge Williams has earned my respect and its a sure thing that the left is not very happy with her today. .

• Agree 6

51 minutes ago, Spartiati said:

Funny how the law is so bad even the Biden judge agreed with the Bush judge.

SCOTUS is no longer the play thing for dems and Roberts with his too powerful swing vote.  The lower courts know this and foresee many of their dubious cases eventually getting slapped down.  Losing BIG cases does not look good on a post federal resume.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Walkinguf61 said:

No, but it can get you in to trouble. Both with the general population and the police. A 911 call “ man with gun” is one— I will let you ponder all the ways that can go bad. 

No need to ponder anything. Just plan.

When I carry I plan what I wear accordingly. People talk about 'printing' as if it's a Boogeyman. 

Unless you brandish or otherwise wave your pistol around you won't be in 'trouble'. 

If you're worried about that kind of 911 call then you're not planning properly. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

When it comes to carrying the accompanying paperwork, under what situations can they ask to see it? I imagine you would have to be involved or suspected of a crime? Similar to demanding id?

I presume if at any point you're discussing your firearm with the police there's a fair chance it won't be a brief encounter.  

While they shouldn't ask to inspect your gun or paperwork without a reasonable cause, I would err on the side of complying with what they ask and complaining/protesting after. 

• Agree 2

Those of you smarter on the law than me (e.g., pretty much everyone here, lol)...help me understand... I just want to know next steps & timing of those steps (forgive me if I've mangled the legalese):

• These newly consolidated cases will now go back in front of Judge Bumb... first, to rule on the issue of TRO (and then later, she will also preside over the full consolidated case, is that right?)
  • What happens in a consolidated case? Is it natural that both 2A legal teams will strategize and work together to some degree?
  • Because a TRO is now being requested on the "other" sensitive areas listed in the law (and not just the 5 in the CNJFO case which Bumb already ruled on), isn't there some sense of urgency with TROs? What kind of timing are we talking about here? Is it a set number of days or weeks by which those particular kinds of actions must be heard and ruled on? This should happen pretty quickly, right?
  • In the meantime, the state can still appeal the initial TRO, correct (even if it's a high bar)? How long do they have to do their appeal?

Thanks... I'm just trying to get a timeline in my head! (Now that we're winning, I kinda feel that mo' winning can't come fast enough... ! :D)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Kinda sucks that our 2A rights (and I suppose others as well) hinge on the ideological/political whims of the judge hearing the case. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

Kinda sucks that our 2A rights (and I suppose others as well) hinge on the ideological/political whims of the judge hearing the case. 

Indeed.

That's the world we live in.

When you exhaust your options in the lower courts you then get to the Supreme Court for the 'final' decision, but that's just 9 individuals who operate with THEIR ideological/political whims.

It's the worst system in the world...except for all the others.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Well, yes and no. The issue is reviewed by a single judge, then 3 more, possible en bac by the entire circuit and possibly 9 more at SCOTUS.. so there are a decent amount of "checks" on those opinions. 

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

Indeed.

That's the world we live in.

When you exhaust your options in the lower courts you then get to the Supreme Court for the 'final' decision, but that's just 9 individuals who operate with THEIR ideological/political whims.

It's the worst system in the world...except for all the others.

Exactly, the alternative is dictatorship. 

On 1/13/2023 at 1:52 PM, Jfoster99 said:

Great Answer… Thank you…

So every time I have to unholster, unload, open the trunk, open my storage box to secure my weapon it will be plainly visible to anyone in a 10 meter radius.  Could it be done in a stealthy manner, sure but to do it 3-4 times per typical outing as a normal course of action it will certainly be getting exposed.

Not to mention the danger of  all this loading and unloading… Did they know most Police Stations have a special bullet  proof container to point the weapon in to load/unload because of all the accidental discharges that happen!   I now have to point it at my balls in the front seat of my car to load/unload without being seen.

My head just spins with all of this…

The law specifically allows for this and mentions this specific example of unloading and loading in and around your car.  In case you put the gun in the trunk, you need to be outside but around your car.  

I think the whole "leave it in the car" is bullshit.  I would never leave my gun in the car.  Too many assholes around here looking to steal my car.  They can have the car but I'll never be responsible for some punk ass thug walking around with any of my guns.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I don't believe that a court date has been set for judge Bumb to rule on the combined cases of Koons vs Reynolds and Siegel vs Platkin but I'll guess that it will later this month. Did anyone see a date? 

24 minutes ago, DAHL said:

I don't believe that a court date has been set for judge Bumb to rule on the combined cases of Koons vs Reynolds and Siegel vs Platkin but I'll guess that it will later this month. Did anyone see a date? 

They just filed Saturday to update TRO for all areas. Courts closed til tomorrow. They hoping she will just add the areas ASAP. 

• Thanks 1