M1152

NJ LAWMAKERS ANNOUNCE PLANS TO DESTROY RIGHT TO CARRY

Just for an update. This Friday March 17th a request for a preliminary injunction of the cancel carry bill will be heard by the court with US district federal Judge Renee  Bumb presiding.  If the gun owners get the PI then its likely that the State of NJ will appeal it to the 3rd circuit court of appeals. I do believe that the forces of freedom and liberty will prevail and that we can continue to legally carry.

The bottom line is that Murphy doesn't trust lawful citizens to carry a pistol, yet he has a large armed security detail all the time. The man is a hypocrite.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, b47356 said:

How do you figure that?

There is a justice in charge of considering emergency appeals and other matters assigned to each circuit. When the NY sensitive places case was sent up to the Supreme Court to ask for emergency action, Sonia Sotomayor was in charge of the 2nd Circuit and she declined to hear the case. 

Alito has 3rd Circuit.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, g17owner said:

There is a justice in charge of considering emergency appeals and other matters assigned to each circuit. When the NY sensitive places case was sent up to the Supreme Court to ask for emergency action, Sonia Sotomayor was in charge of the 2nd Circuit and she declined to hear the case. 

Alito has 3rd Circuit.

Sotomayor didn't decline to hear the case, she chose to bring it to all 9 justices who then declined to intervene because the second circuit hadn't, and still hasn't, issued an opinion on the matter.

The 3rd circuit would first have to issue an opinion with a stay before Alito and the court would intervene.

• Informative 2

48 minutes ago, Spartiati said:

Sotomayor didn't decline to hear the case, she chose to bring it to all 9 justices who then declined to intervene because the second circuit hadn't, and still hasn't, issued an opinion on the matter.

The 3rd circuit would first have to issue an opinion with a stay before Alito and the court would intervene.

Good point.

19 hours ago, Fawkesguy said:

I am fairly confident judge Bumb will rip NJ to shreds.  Either way, it will go to the 3rd circuit.  I have far less faith in them than I do in judge Bumb.

If the 3rd does not rule in our favor, wouldn't it then go to SCOTUS eventually?  

12 minutes ago, ESB said:

If the 3rd does not rule in our favor, wouldn't it then go to SCOTUS eventually?  

It could be that SCOTUS is asked to take it, but they are famous for refusing cert on gun cases. Bruen was an outlier historically.

• Like 1

If Bumb gives the PI, and the 3rd circuit overrules it, it just means the case continues in Bumb's court. SCOTUS is not going to get involved in that..

Well, Thomas or Alito might write an entertaining dissent on the failure to grant cert, but that is all..

3 hours ago, g17owner said:

Dial-in instructions for tomorrow's hearing in front of Judge Bumb are posted on the homepage of my 2A news site: https://www.news2a.com.

Great that we can listen in!

You need to take the period off the end of the link.

11 hours ago, g17owner said:

Dial-in instructions for tomorrow's hearing in front of Judge Bumb are posted on the homepage of my 2A news site: https://www.news2a.com

Hey... love your site! Bookmarked:) The more gun owners out there promoting the 2A & shooting sports - the better! Well done.

• Like 1

Just now, Mrs. Peel said:

Hey... love your site! Bookmarked:) The more gun owners out there promoting the 2A & shooting sports - the better! Well done.

Thank you very much! We're just getting started. We just had John Petrolino of Bearing Arms publish to the site and we'll have a few interesting guest authors in the near future. Glad you like it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Ditto.  Just saw this.  Nice work!  I'll definitely keep an eye on your site. 

Im live tweeting and providing updates during the hearing using the hashtag #NJCarryKiller. For those unable to listen in, you might be able to stay up to date by checking in on that hashtag.

Anyone else planning to tweet stuff out during the hearing, please use that hashtag and maybe we can get a nice feed going.
If there's a lull between 10:30-11 its because I was forced into a meeting 
  • Thanks 3

I had a different call and was unable to jump on the conference call... now I'm locked out but I am following the twitter feed. Observation + question: weeks ago, on one of these threads, I had asked in so many words whether combining these 2 pro-A cases carried any inherent risk --- meaning, would the approaches of the 2 teams necessarily be well-coordinated? 

Now, today...  I'm reading comments from the hearing that Judge Bumb was questioning whether Jensen's legal argument may have inadvertently undermined Schmutter's legal argument. Because I'm not actually "hearing" the convo... for those of you who are either physically there to read the body language -or- at least listening in and catching all the inflections... did that sound like a big problem? Or, did it seem like a minor hiccup that was smoothed over quickly? Appreciate your insights....!

Jensen was all over the place regarding sensitive places.  He was almost making the State's case for them.  Bumb kept trying to shepherd him and get him to clarify, but he seemed terribly unprepared, and very nervous.  He was awful.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1