M1152

NJ LAWMAKERS ANNOUNCE PLANS TO DESTROY RIGHT TO CARRY

2 hours ago, Walkinguf61 said:

it was only the state troopers unions that testified to the bill

I don't think that is correct.

“I would like to thank legislative leadership for agreeing to over 20 amendments at our request over the last several weeks to get this bill to a better place.  Although we would like to have seen a few more changes, this bill respects the training, qualifications and tremendous experience our retirees deserve.  They will remain an important component in keeping the residents and visitors of New Jersey safe and secure.” Patrick Colligan, President of the New Jersey State Policemen’s Benevolent Association

https://www.njspba.com/President-Message/Read.aspx?id=4

This is the state-wide org for the local PBAs.

2 hours ago, Walkinguf61 said:

It’s not the police making these laws. And it was only the state troopers unions that testified to the bill. They did it to get exceptions for their members as was their job. Note the urban officers did not testify . 

These lawmakers who made this law don’t give a —— about what cops think. Especially retired cops ad proven by the the 3rd revision to the bill and the one lawmaker harping on the fact that retirees don’t have a legal obligation to the general public. They only put it in for the political optics . Did you see how the bill’s sponsor was arguing over his holster requirement for a retention strap with the police who did testify ? He does not care about the police beyond a political expediency.

Not a knock on active officers. The union should not be allowed, or should have at least been challenged in their endeavor to get RPOs exempt from the proposed bill. They are essentially creating 2 classes of citizens. A savvy politician would have argued that retired State Police are exempt, but other agencies would be subject to sensitive places. 

13 minutes ago, Mike77 said:

Is there 1 more step? Or was that it? 

Still to come, a vote by the state senate.   Calls and emails may help there, maybe not by stopping it, but at least for sending it back for significant changes.   Once past the senate,  it needs the governor's signature, and there is no stopping that, this bill is governor gopher's wet dream.  

I assume the request for an injunction will be ready to file immediately after bucktooth signs, potentially granting us relief while the court challenge is underway. 

20 minutes ago, 10X said:

Still to come, a vote by the state senate.   Calls and emails may help there, maybe not by stopping it, but at least for sending it back for significant changes.   Once past the senate,  it needs the governor's signature, and there is no stopping that, this bill is governor gopher's wet dream.  

I assume the request for an injunction will be ready to file immediately after bucktooth signs, potentially granting us relief while the court challenge is underway. 

Did i hear they have to get in before dec 31 or they have to start all over? Chances that happens? 

30 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

I don't think that is correct.

https://www.njspba.com/President-Message/Read.aspx?id=4

This is the state-wide org for the local PBAs.

I stand corrected. Sort of. You are correct . But if you are a member of a large union , that the upper union leadership don’t necessarily represent the views of some or even most of their members. And I only saw white faces up there. I doubt these particular union leaders truly understand what it’s like to be a cop and live in these urban neighborhoods.
However, it doesn’t really matter because they got the exemption for their members. That’s is their job . Like a lawyer, their responsibility is solely to their client and not other people’s clients. They were kissing butt to get it and is not necessarily what their members believe . 

25 minutes ago, RichP said:

Not a knock on active officers. The union should not be allowed, or should have at least been challenged in their endeavor to get RPOs exempt from the proposed bill. They are essentially creating 2 classes of citizens. A savvy politician would have argued that retired State Police are exempt, but other agencies would be subject to sensitive places. 

Like what happened in New York? Police officers, active peace officers and retired police are exempt but retired peace officers are not. 
And a savvy politician would not because it would be a news story how they screwed up not allowing police officers to be exempt. 

And they are not creating two classes of citizens. That already exists both at the  NJ state level and on the federal level. But that is after giving years of service. Veterans get benefits that mere citizens don’t also. 
I made a choice to work in a profession that my gun rights would be recognized when I retired. I would have taken a different profession if they weren’t . 
This is not to say others shouldn’t have their rights recognized too. 

33 minutes ago, 10X said:

When is the end of the legislative session for the year?

8 minutes ago, Walkinguf61 said:

When is the end of the legislative session for the year?

I believe they are scheduled to end on Dec 31, although last year the session carried over into early Jan.

To answer @Mike77's question, if the bill isn't passed in identical form by the assembly and the senate, I believe it will have to be re-introduced next year.  

The dem's probably have a bot set up to mindlessly re-submit time and again.  In this case, the bot may be the actual human sponsor of the bill.

I didn't get to listen to the proceedings, but apparently a highlight was when Assemblyman Brian Bergen, R-Morris, having had several lines of questioning stonewalled by bill sponsor Danielsen, said on mic:  “God. he’s such an a**hole.”

After a reporter tweeted the comment, Bergen replied: “I did say it. And I meant it.”

I'm proud to have Bergen representing me in Morris county.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2022/11/tough-nj-concealed-carry-gun-proposal-moves-closer-to-law-after-fierce-debate-at-statehouse.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I watched Bergen grill Danielsen previously; he's good. His office sent me a (non-auto, non-cookie cutter) reply to my email thanking him for supporting law-abiding gun owners as well. 

Same here, and I'm not even in his district. 

I watched a few clips. Disgusting clown world. Bergen was not permitted to quote Thomas Jefferson. Danielsen pretended he couldn't hear Bergen. The Speaker was clearly biased. 

29 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Same here, and I'm not even in his district. 

Same. I need to do some more research on him, but he might be the first politician I will ever donate money to. 

2 hours ago, 10X said:

I didn't get to listen to the proceedings, but apparently a highlight was when Assemblyman Brian Bergen, R-Morris, having had several lines of questioning stonewalled by bill sponsor Danielsen, said on mic:  “God. he’s such an a**hole.”

After a reporter tweeted the comment, Bergen replied: “I did say it. And I meant it.”

I'm proud to have Bergen representing me in Morris county.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2022/11/tough-nj-concealed-carry-gun-proposal-moves-closer-to-law-after-fierce-debate-at-statehouse.html

I was there, witnessed it first hand. It was great to be there despite the vote not going our way.

1 hour ago, kc17 said:

I watched Bergen grill Danielsen

He reminds me of Adam Sandler, but less funny and easily flustered.  I could not watch the entire session because the people representing 2A were so incredibly inarticulate.  There was one guy that did a decent job. 

They need a 2A group to give them a structured and well explained list of talking points.  They all had something relevant to say, but they were not "on message" very much.  Frankly, they sounded a bit like whiners.  They need writers that can help them put a strong unified message together. 

The bit where Bergen was asked to speak up was funny.  It proved something.  All along I thought dems were humorless dicks.  I was wrong, it turns out they are just dicks. "stop yelling" was hysterical, everyone had a chuckle.