jm1827

An alternator question.

My daughter just recently moved to Richmond VA after graduating college.  She called me last week to tell me that her car wouldn't start, and she thought it was the battery.  Of course, she didn't leave any of the lights on or anything like that (had to take her word),

I told her to get a jump and if it starts take it to the local Midas and if needed get a new battery.  She went to Midas, and they told her she needed a new alternator, and it would cost her at least $1000.

I told her to hold off and I would check myself.  After she got the jump start, she drove the car for a week back and forth to work with no issues. She works nights, so she drove home every night with the lights on, a 10-minute drive but lights on, nonetheless.

When I met her this weekend, I first tested the battery with the car off, got 12.3V.  With the car running I got 13.9V.   To me, this points to a good alternator and a weakening battery since it was below 12.6V under no load.

Was the dealer trying to scam a 22-year-old girl or could the alternator still be bad?  I drove the car from VA back to NJ with no issues. 

Thanks,

21 hours ago, jm1827 said:

My daughter just recently moved to Richmond VA after graduating college.  She called me l she needed a new alternator, and it would cost her at least $1000.

I drove the car from VA back to NJ with no issues. 

A $1000 "at least" for an alternator?!  :fie:

What kind of car is this? How old is the battery? 

VA to NJ with a non functioning alternator? You would've stalled out in an hour or less. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

An $1000 "at least" for an alternator?!  :fie:

What kind of car is this? How old is the battery? 

VA to NJ with non functioning alternator? You would stalled out in an hour or less. 

2013 Mazda 3, battery is probably 4-5 years old. 

Yep, VA to NJ plus back and forth to work for a week.  

14 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Those chain shops overcharge to the point of robbery. 

Probably a bad battery, if you get 13.9v at idle. 

Yes- 13.9v at idol. I am thinking bad battery or... my lovely daughter left a light or something on in the car. 

Can you charge the battery with a trickle charger?  Maybe over a weekend?

Could have been a loose battery cable?  I thought my batter was dead earlier this year.  Went out, didn't start.  Popped the hood and moved the battery cable a little.  Fired right up.  Tightened down the battery cable.

Tell your daughter to start askeing friends and co-workers for some suggestions for honest mechanics.  Many not too honest places out there.  Almost same exact thing happened to my wife about two years ago.  She stopped to get gas at a local place.  Her vehicle wouldn't start back up.  There was a garage attached to the gas station  Told her it was "probably the alternator" and would probably be close to $1k.  She drove it to a mechanic friend.  It was the battery.  No problems starting since it was replaced.

If she needs a battery, tell her to go to Walmart and buy it herself and put it in herself or have a friend help her.  Or if she's a Costco or BJ's member to check their prices.  They are usually more reasonable and will intall it.

11 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I normally buy a new battery after 4 years.  No failures, no problems.

Just sayin'

This.  Just did all 3 vehicles batteries over the last few months.  None of the batteries were older than 5 years.  They don't make 'em like the used to.

12 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I normally buy a new battery after 4 years.  No failures, no problems.

Just sayin'

I agree, I think I will just change her battery, and if the alternator is still outputting 13.9V at idol, we should be good to go.

On 10/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, jm1827 said:

My daughter just recently moved to Richmond VA after graduating college.  She called me last week to tell me that her car wouldn't start, and she thought it was the battery.  Of course, she didn't leave any of the lights on or anything like that (had to take her word),

I told her to get a jump and if it starts take it to the local Midas and if needed get a new battery.  She went to Midas, and they told her she needed a new alternator, and it would cost her at least $1000.

I told her to hold off and I would check myself.  After she got the jump start, she drove the car for a week back and forth to work with no issues. She works nights, so she drove home every night with the lights on, a 10-minute drive but lights on, nonetheless.

When I met her this weekend, I first tested the battery with the car off, got 12.3V.  With the car running I got 13.9V.   To me, this points to a good alternator and a weakening battery since it was below 12.6V under no load.

Was the dealer trying to scam a 22-year-old girl or could the alternator still be bad?  I drove the car from VA back to NJ with no issues. 

Thanks,

13.9 is perfect charging voltage. you should have the alt. output amperage. if she drove it for a week with no problems, slap a battery in it and avoid any/all chains. find a privately owned shop. she's less likely to have someone try to rip her off because she's a woman. which is what it sounds like they were trying here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jm1827 said:

2013 Mazda 3, battery is probably 4-5 years old.

That's the typical lifespan of batteries today. And that is before any issues like, running them down to dead, driving short distances where the battery isn't getting fully recharged. etc.

7 minutes ago, BigGuns said:

That's the typical lifespan of batteries today. And that is before any issues like, running them down to dead, driving short distances where the battery isn't getting fully recharged. etc.

My 2004 Honda Accord had a small battery to shave off fuel consumption for CAFE standards. Honda also had two modes on the alternator for high and low speeds - also to save fuel for CAFE standards. Don't have a dog in this hunt now (Tesla) but I found it funny that they'd bump up MPG that way, especially since it varies so much with driving. 

2 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

My 2004 Honda Accord had a small battery to shave off fuel consumption for CAFE standards. Honda also had two modes on the alternator for high and low speeds - also to save fuel for CAFE standards. Don't have a dog in this hunt now (Tesla) but I found it funny that they'd bump up MPG that way, especially since it varies so much with driving. 

Honda alternators actually turn off when there's no load on the system.

16 minutes ago, ltcap said:

Honda alternators actually turn off when there's no load on the system.

And at low RPMs they drop the voltage. It's hard on the battery because it deeply cycles the battery if you do a lot of low RPM driving (stop and go city driving). When new my car lost its first battery in the first 2 years. 

18 hours ago, H2oVento said:

Battery... If you close to west caldwell. I can load test the battery for you

Thank you for the offer, I will probably just change out the battery.  It is testing less than 12.6V open circuit and drops way down when lights are turned on, so I am thinking it is starting to go.

• Agree 1