BIGfeet94

Liberty Safes of NJ?

First time poster here.  Relativity new firearms owner.  Just have a couple so far.  Looking next to get a gun safe.  I don't have the ability to transport one myself and would like to get something decent.  I see Liberty has couple stores in Mt. Laurel an Bordentown.  Anyone have experience dealing with either store?  I plan to go there one of these weekends when I have nothing else going on.  I am about an hour away.  Thinking of going with one of the lower tier Liberty or American Security.  Thank for any info.

I have a winchester I think14 gun safe from tractor supply. It was an ordeal. They wanted to charge shipping even though it was being shipped to the store for pickup, I filed a claim for a broken piece of the gun rack (just wound up fixing it myself with a piece of wood some glue and screws). The nice thing is it came with three handgun holsters and a couple of pockets on the inside door. After all that and cancelling the order i get a either 15 or 20 coupon in my email. Went to the store burned the coupon and picked up the safe i had cancelled.

The old Sportsmen’s Center on Rt 130 Bordentown NJ has safes, at least they did last time I was there. I say the old Sportsmen’s center because they use to have the entire property but it appears its sub divided now. I went in there to purchase a Henry Lever action and noticed they had a bunch of safes, that was a few years ago. If you're interested call them first to make sure they are up and running. when I was there it appeared to be a one man operation

https://www.henryusa.com/dealer-location/sportsmens-center/

the above is a copy + paste from this thread I would call first before driving out, I have a Liberty that I purchased used from a private party. I'm not a fan of the digital safes, I like the old school dial type

Wait for BLACK FRIDAY .... Tractor Supply does sales on safes every Black Friday.

Watch for their ad.  Below is a link to LAST YEAR'S Black Friday ad, to give you an idea:

https://blackfriday.com/ads/black-friday/tractor-supply-company

3 hours ago, FXDX said:

The old Sportsmen’s Center on Rt 130 Bordentown NJ has safes, at least they did last time I was there. I say the old Sportsmen’s center because they use to have the entire property but it appears its sub divided now. I went in there to purchase a Henry Lever action and noticed they had a bunch of safes, that was a few years ago. If you're interested call them first to make sure they are up and running. when I was there it appeared to be a one man operation

https://www.henryusa.com/dealer-location/sportsmens-center/

the above is a copy + paste from this thread I would call first before driving out, I have a Liberty that I purchased used from a private party. I'm not a fan of the digital safes, I like the old school dial type

Sportsmans Center closed a few years ago.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, b47356 said:

They still sell gun safes from part of the same location.

I don’t get out that way too much but if it still open that’s good to hear. I know it was a one man operation and the guy was juggling phones, faxes and walk-ins all at the same.  If that’s fished its conclusion probably came at the hand of the scamdemic but if it survived it as you say good for him.

7 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Yes, but I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up about finding firearms, bows and other things there.

that was already covered in the post I linked to... its been reduced to safes and a small assorted of firearms. The manager Eric (IIRC) is from the original store and has an FFL

The "old" sportsman location is now Liberty safes of NJ - Bordentown, plus a run down flee market. I had no complaints when visiting there and they sell more than just the liberty brand, I just choose to go a different route.  If you end up going, you can always stop at Cheyenne Mountain outfitters as well - 10 minutes apart.

Cheers,

M

• Agree 1

I remember stopping in there several years ago. Had a good amount of safes on display, prices were close to msrp. The guy didn't try to hard sell and offered free delivery since I live about 2 miles away. I have been meaning to stop back in since he had a few barely scratch and dent models at lower prices.

A little bit off topic but may be helpful. I could not accommodate a large heavy safe in my home for several reasons(no room for it on first floor, too heavy for second floor, hassle to move it in the future, etc). I went with a SecureIT Agile 52 safe three years ago. Very pleased with my choice, extremely flexible inline storage, not overly heavy for second floor, and effective enough for my needs.  albeat on the pricey side.

Worth considering depending on your needs, security priorities, etc.

For staging handguns elsewhere in my home I use “Fort Knox Pistol Box”s. Simplex mechanical combo lock, built like a tank.

I was looking into purchasing the Ft. Knox Defender and stopped by the Liberty store last year, gave them my information and never heard back. When I was there, the salesman went into the back office a few times to speak with the manager/owner(?) but the back-office guy didn't bother to speak to me in person. I never heard from them again, I figure if they're not looking to take my money I'm not chasing them down for business. 

I ended up calling http://safemanllc.com/ and they delivered my safe (basement delivery). I was impressed with their professionalism and delivery crew. They earned my business and I'll recommend them since they were very good at callbacks and email responses to all my questions. 

• Like 1

My father had one from Liberty.  Delivery will be $300-550 or so depending on where in the house you want the safe.  Stairs cost more.  They charge about the same to move it to my sister's after my dad passed away.  \

This past weekend, I bought a great safe from BJ's, on sale, for less than $500.  Right next door to BJ's, I rented a 15' truck and appliance dolly from U-Haul.  Two guys from BJ's helped to get it in the truck and my girlfriend and I got it off and into the garage.  It would have been tough for us to get it into the basement but we could have done it.  I have more space in my garage and a smaller safe in the bedroom so I'm not worried about access for home security.  

DM me if you want to know more.  The same may end today but you can check with them about buying and pickup in a few days.  

• Like 1

I have 2 Liberty safes. They are good quality and Liberty has different levels of fire ratings as well as paint and finishes. After liberty there is a massive jump in price to thicker and stronger steel.

I have looked at the Tractor Supply safes and know a friend who owns one, not bad safes but not the quality of Liberty.

Given some time and the right tools all of them can be broken into or more likely breached through the side steel. They are a necessity to keep your guns safe and out of the hands of kids, they will stop most robberies of opportunity

Another thing to know is that for any gun safes they do not hold as many guns as they advertise. A 20-gun safe might hold 14-16 long guns.

• Like 1