Peter Goldwing

Out of state application

If you’re in FL you apply at the closest barracks which is Woodbine. You do not have a choice and can’t shop around. It’s always the closest one to you. 

You also need to apply in person. They do not accept applications by mail like Florida does.

The good news is that I was told that Woodbine will look over your paperwork if you email it to them first. Call them first and ask.  (609)861-5698

There are no approved ranges. Any NRA instructor at any range (or in their back yard) can certify you.  There are three ways to qualify.  See the section of the NJ administrative code below.

• #1 below doesn't exist so you can't use that.
  • For some reason, nobody is offering #3 and I'm not sure the local police departments even know it's an option so it might be rejected if you used that method.
  • That leaves option #2. 

An NRA (or other organization) firearms instructor must certify on paper that you demonstrated "thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of firearms" and you must submit your qualification scores.   There is no official qualifier that you have to shoot but most instructors are using some sort of modified version of the HCQ1 or HCQ2 qualifier.  Google those and you'll find the courses of fire.

NJAC 13:45-2.4

(b) Each applicant shall demonstrate a thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns by indicating in the space provided therefor on the application form, and on any sworn attachments thereto, any relevant information. Thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns shall be evidenced by:

1. Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6j;
2. Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or
3. Passage of any test in this State's laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor.

(c) The information in (b) above shall be accompanied and validated by certifications of the appropriate instructor(s).

More information can be found starting on page 32 here: https://nj2as.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Firearms-Investigation-Guide-2014-redactedRedacted_1_1.pdf

a few other things you need to know, make sure you have 3 ink copies, not one ink and two Xerox. Have your Notary notarize everything and be your witness for the mental health form. There may be more things I'm forgetting, did mine in July. At at least you have someone to contact at the NJSP barrack who will take a look before you submit.

23 minutes ago, Moutinas said:

a few other things you need to know, make sure you have 3 ink copies, not one ink and two Xerox. Have your Notary notarize everything and be your witness for the mental health form. There may be more things I'm forgetting, did mine in July. At at least you have someone to contact at the NJSP barrack who will take a look before you submit.

NJSP required me to bring the unsigned form to the station and the trooper was the witness. I would call them first and ask what their procedure is. Some will take a notary witness and others will require the trooper be the witness. 

55 minutes ago, Walkinguf61 said:

Is NJ really accepting out of state applications or is it really lip service and they don’t approve them in reality? 

I personally know 3 people who live in PA and have their NJ carry permits. It is not just lip service.

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, Walkinguf61 said:

Is NJ really accepting out of state applications or is it really lip service and they don’t approve them in reality? 

There is one PA resident on this board who submitted their app after me and has their permit while I'm still waiting. Let that sink in.

• Sad 1

I will be in NJ on the end of December. I have all the paperwork done,

I see the forms posted online are old so im not sure what amount the check should be for permit to carry,

Can I give them a personal check or a credit card, when do I pay for fingerprinting, and can that be done out of state?

Thank you

32 minutes ago, Peter Goldwing said:

I see the forms posted online are old so im not sure what amount the check should be for permit to carry,

The current form is dated 7/19/2022 and can be found here: https://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-642.pdf

The instructions for completing the form can be found here: https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/NJSP_WEBSITE_REVISION_FOR_PTC_v2.pdf

The mental health check form is here: https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/sp-066_201907.pdf (use Microsoft Edge to download this one - Chrome doesn't work)

36 minutes ago, Peter Goldwing said:

Can I give them a personal check or a credit card, when do I pay for fingerprinting, and can that be done out of state?

You will need a money order for $50 for the permit application. Fingerprinting is in addition to that and is paid directly to IdentoGo and they do take credit cards.

NY resident here. Applied to the NJSP @ Totowa (Passaic County) in August 2022. Got a call yesterday that the permit is ready for pickup. Scheduled to go to Court on the 19th of January to pick it up. Assuming everything goes to plan that would be around 5 months from the application date.

NJSP took my application in person. They are extremely backed up with applications and are impossible to reach via phone. The single person handling CCW at the time I applied checked and responded to emails around once or twice a week. It took them 4 months to process the application before forwarding it to the superior court. The 60 or 90 day limit which according to the law they have to abide by is irrelevant - they don't care. I was told that the longest part of the process is getting a reply from my state's mental health authority. The NJSP has you fill out mental health history search consent form, they send it to your state and wait for reply confirming that you haven't been committed or anything like that. My state (NY) apparently takes its time to get back to them. 

I don't think any of my references got called. Also, I took the qualification from an NRA instructor in my state - at least at the time I didn't have to go to a NJ instructor. Things may have changed with the new law NJ passed in December.

Hope this helps someone. 

• Informative 1

Thank you for posting

I put in my application on Dec27. I also had my qualification done here in FL. 

I don't understand why there is a need to see a judge again but were talking NJ here

I had the fingerprints done by IDENTOGO here in Fl because they didn't have any appointments for the days I was in NJ. They charge $40.00 more because it's out of state. The total charge was $100.45

I was told by an officer that starting July they will take applications online. He actually said that Murphy signed such a law. I tried finding it but no luck

.I appreciate all out of state experience postings so we can get a reference point

1 hour ago, Peter Goldwing said:

I don't understand why there is a need to see a judge again but were talking NJ here

I was told by an officer that starting July they will take applications online. He actually said that Murphy signed such a law. I tried finding it but no luck

As of 12/24, the judge has been taken out of the process.

There's been no publicly disclosed information on putting the process online that I know of.  Stay tuned to this forum for the latest.

The only caveat for out of state residents will be the training. The live fire has to be done at a range listed by the superintendent. 

administered by a certified firearm instructor on a firing range approved by the superintendent and on the list of approved ranges published on the State Police website.  

But that’s not until July. Plenty of time for court challenges. 

On 1/10/2023 at 12:14 PM, trnq said:

NY resident here. Applied to the NJSP @ Totowa (Passaic County) in August 2022. Got a call yesterday that the permit is ready for pickup. Scheduled to go to Court on the 19th of January to pick it up. Assuming everything goes to plan that would be around 5 months from the application date.

NJSP took my application in person. They are extremely backed up with applications and are impossible to reach via phone. The single person handling CCW at the time I applied checked and responded to emails around once or twice a week. It took them 4 months to process the application before forwarding it to the superior court. The 60 or 90 day limit which according to the law they have to abide by is irrelevant - they don't care. I was told that the longest part of the process is getting a reply from my state's mental health authority. The NJSP has you fill out mental health history search consent form, they send it to your state and wait for reply confirming that you haven't been committed or anything like that. My state (NY) apparently takes its time to get back to them. 

I don't think any of my references got called. Also, I took the qualification from an NRA instructor in my state - at least at the time I didn't have to go to a NJ instructor. Things may have changed with the new law NJ passed in December.

Hope this helps someone. 

Sorry for late reply guys, had too many things going on. 

Got my permit on the 19th. When the clerk called me to schedule a day to come in he sounded like it was just an appointment to pickup the permit, though it turned out to be a full blown hearing. There were about 20 people there, from what I gathered mostly NJ resident applicants. Judge was pretty cool, a ccw holder himself, gave us a 40 minute talk on the NJ and national gun laws. Each applicant was called one at a time and the judge asked routine questions such as whether all info in the application was correct, confirmed gun serial numbers, training location, etc. This was all done under oath. Few people had potentially disqualifying criminal history - there was a lady present who the judge referred to as the prosecution who presented any evidence against granting the permit to each individual. Seems like they did their homework - few people had driving related history such as license suspensions, driving without license, DUI. One guy had domestic violence related arrest or restraining order from couple decades back. Judge said those are old offences and aren't considered disqualifying factors for CCW permit. No mentions of social media or anything like that. Everyone present received their permits. Several people lived in different counties previously and the prosecutor didn't have mental health forms from those counties. The judge just asked those individuals under oath whether they were ever committed to a mental institution while living in those counties before granting them their permits. This was the last group of people that were being processed through the court according to the judge. All further applications are being handled by the PD or NJSP from start to finish.

The permit is a folded heavy paper print with photo, signature and the guns qualified with listed on the back. Pretty underwhelming to be honest, though I'm happy it finally happened, I've been wanting to get a NJ CCW ever since I moved to NJ in 2008 and got my first handgun. I now have NY, NJ, PA, CT, FL ccw. The only one still outstanding is the NYC carry license, which the NYPD is dragging their feet with...

Edited by trnq
  • Informative 1

Glad to hear that no more judge meetings are required.

The cost for a FL or other far away guy will be prohibitive.

I come to NJ maybe 3 times a year to see family on special occasions, but I cannot schedule a judge appointment.

Asides from some speeding points like 30 years ago my past is pristine so  I see no problem. If I get the permit that will add only two states. NJ and Minesota.

Lets hope that the permit becomes national

Having the qualifying gun listed on the back is silly . What happens if you decide to sell it and get a new one?

Once you can drive a car you can drive all sorts of cars( maybe not stick shift)

3 minutes ago, Peter Goldwing said:

Glad to hear that no more judge meetings are required.

The cost for a FL or other far away guy will be prohibitive.

I come to NJ maybe 3 times a year to see family on special occasions, but I cannot schedule a judge appointment.

Asides from some speeding points like 30 years ago my past is pristine so  I see no problem. If I get the permit that will add only two states. NJ and Minesota.

Lets hope that the permit becomes national

Seems silly that people like you who only visit a few times per year will have to spend $200+ just to exercise your constitutional right.

• Agree 1