Peter Goldwing

Out of state application

1 hour ago, RadioGunner said:

Seems silly that people like you who only visit a few times per year will have to spend $200+ just to exercise your constitutional right.

Seems silly for the rest of us, too.   Silly being far too mild a word.

• Agree 2

Good morning All,

NY State resident.  As of today, my $50 money order has been cashed.  Now that they have my money, we will see when I hear from them.  Applied 10/25/22 Totowa NJSP.  No communication since then.  Also, I have an appointment to pick up my Pennsylvania permit on 3/14/22 at Pike County. 

NY resident here.  I received an e-mail from the NJSP this afternoon informing me that my permit was ready for pickup.  I picked it up and the date of issue was 3/14/2023, valid for 2 years.  There were no restrictions on which handguns I can carry.  The permit is printed on a continuous page that folds over with my photo on the back.  There also was printed "Employee of armored car company".  I inquired about that and was told that it does not apply to me and that the box next it was not checked.  It also said "This card may be laminated".  The chronology follows:

Oct. 25, 2022   Applied at NJSP Totowa for PTC.
Jan. 17, 2023   Sent update request to Totowa SP, auto reply said I would be contacted by court or SP when permit is approved/denied.
March 17, 2023  Sent request to NJSP Firearminvestunit, reply same day said my application was received, pending approval/denial.
March 20, 2023  Received email from NJSP to come pickup the permit.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Hello everyone! I’m new on this forum and live in West Virginia. I been watching this topic (forum) since submitting my application for the NJ PTC. As an update:

Application submitted to Woodstown NJSP Troop A (Salem County) on Friday 11/4/2022. 
References called on 2/10/2023.

Received call to pick up permit today 3/30/2023.

Long process paid $50 and no court since the application submission. 

Edited by WVPRO2APanther
  • Informative 1

Today I have sent an email to NJSP and I was called back in a short while.

They say the permit was approved last week. I have to see if I can convince them to mail it to me or otherwise Il pick it up in about 3 weeks

I applied around Jan 5 or so. The references were not called as far as I know

Congrats! It is a permit to carry. NJ issues it that way. NO NJ open carry allowed. Concealled only.  It was a long process huh!  Also, go to this range for other NJ carry information and recent updates to NJ law, prohibited places and lawsuits. Www.gunforhire.com. Click NJ CCW. 

21 minutes ago, Notown said:

Congrats! It is a permit to carry. NJ issues it that way. NO NJ open carry allowed. Concealled only.  It was a long process huh!  Also, go to this range for other NJ carry information and recent updates to NJ law, prohibited places and lawsuits. Www.gunforhire.com. Click NJ CCW. 

Actually until July 1st nj makes no distinction open or concealed as long as you have a permit to carry 

True. But, I wouldn’t open carry in nj as a civilian. Asking for trouble and a scene and a hassle. I live near northern border of Bergen county and there r too many anti gun people here. Police would be called. No doubt in my mind so I’ll conceal. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Peter Goldwing said:

They wouldn't mail to me. Today I went and picked it up

It just simply states that I can carry a handgun. 

Congrats on getting the PTC. Hopeful the 3rd Circuit don't overrule the injunction to carry (meaning more sensitive place like the whole state of NJ). It is unbelievable that the highways and streets are included where you can’t carry, since the state own those roads as part of the new law. Smh. 

8 minutes ago, WVPRO2APanther said:

Congrats on getting the PTC. Hopeful the 3rd Circuit don't overrule the injunction to carry (meaning more sensitive place like the whole state of NJ). It is unbelievable that the highways and streets are included where you can’t carry, since the state own those roads as part of the new law. Smh. 

That is not my understanding. Roads are not considered state property in this context. Even in the hearings for the law, people would be allowed to carry on the street but if they accidentally stepped on someone’s property , it would be a felony. 

50 minutes ago, Notown said:

True. But, I wouldn’t open carry in nj as a civilian. Asking for trouble and a scene and a hassle. I live near northern border of Bergen county and there r too many anti gun people here. Police would be called. No doubt in my mind so I’ll conceal. 

I agree. I wouldn’t open carry even if NJ allows it officially. Right now when the new law kicks in open carry is speculative. Also, it’s just something allowing criminals to see my firearm while open carrying. It a high probability they will attempt to take the gun even if it is in a level 3 holster. Definitely don’t want to be part of a NJ DA investigation and possibly getting my PTC revoked as they look for any excuse to do it. 

6 minutes ago, WVPRO2APanther said:

I agree. I wouldn’t open carry even if NJ allows it officially. Right now when the new law kicks in open carry is speculative. Also, it’s just something allowing criminals to see my firearm while open carrying. It a high probability they will attempt to take the gun even if it is in a level 3 holster. Definitely don’t want to be part of a NJ DA investigation and possibly getting my PTC revoked as they look for any excuse to do it. 

I agree I never open carried even when I carry in arizona.  The issue with the new law will be accidental exposure, even though it has exceptions for it reaching switching positions etc

14 minutes ago, Walkinguf61 said:

That is not my understanding. Roads are not considered state property in this context. Even in the hearings for the law, people would be allowed to carry on the street but if they accidentally stepped on someone’s property , it would be a felony. 

Oh ok. I thought the new law restricted PTC holders to carry in cars as the state argued that highways and roads are state property and the injunction overturned that portion of the law (well at least stopped it for now.)

Edited by WVPRO2APanther

17 minutes ago, WVPRO2APanther said:

Oh ok. I thought the new law restricted PTC holders to carry in cars as the state argued that highways and roads are state property and the injunction overturned that portion of the law (well at least stopped it for now.)

Carrying in cars has nothing to do with public roads . A lot of car carrying restrictions also apply even if the car is on private property. 

State roads are owned by the state.  County roads are owned by the county.

Regarding roads and private property rights - there are 2 different types of people: invitees and licensee. A licensee is someone who has explicit permission. An invitee has implied permission. For example a Burger King - nobody has to tell you that you have permission to enter. It's implied permission and considered the default rule. The state attempted to change the default rule that says if there is not explicit permission that you're not allowed. Judge Bumb saw through that and struck it down as it would be a flat out ban on carry.  This applies to roads as well. 

• Agree 3

53 minutes ago, Walkinguf61 said:

Carrying in cars has nothing to do with public roads . A lot of car carrying restrictions also apply even if the car is on private property. 

Agreed. Carrying in cars should have nothing to do with a firearm on a public road. But that was NJ argument and NJ included that as a “sensitive place.” NJ legislators seen it as if you are in a vehicle on a NJ highway and road are considered government property. That restricted you to carry in the car on government own property in this case highways and roads. Even with a PTC, NJ expected you to follow Federal regulation while traveling which is gun in a case separated from the ammunition. Judge Bumb overturned that portion as there wasn’t no historical law for that and the plaintiffs proven that wasn’t reasonable based on NJ carjacking stats. 

Edited by WVPRO2APanther

2 minutes ago, WVPRO2APanther said:

Agreed. Carrying in cars should have nothing to do with a firearm on a public road. But that was NJ argument and NJ included that as a “sensitive place.” NJ legislators seen it as if you are in a vehicle on a NJ highway and road are considered government property. That restricted you to carry in the car on government own property in this case highways and roads. Even with a PTC, NJ expected you to follow Federal regulation while traveling which is gun in a case separated from the ammunition. Judge Bumb overturned that portion as that wasn’t no historical law for that and the plaintiffs proved that wasn’t reasonable based on NJ carjacking stats. 

That was not because a road is considered government property. It’s because a car is place of easy movement and the dangers of car stops. I point out that I can carry under LEOSA in all 50 states and DC. The exception to where I can not carry without permission is government property. But I can drive or walk on a public road armed. It’s a public road but not government property in this context . There are plenty of other laws that have “ on government property “ restrictions or enhancements that don’t apply if even the act is committed on a public street . But there are laws about guns in cars even on private property