hostak126

Bear problem/hunt

Recently Governor Murphy acknowledged we have a bit of a bear problem with sightings in more urban areas as well as constant sightings and some attacks on pets and people. One of which was an elderly lady in Sparta a few months back. The Governor has stated he's trying to come up with a solution... Moving them to another area, out of state or doing nothing are not solutions. Please take a minute out of your day and contact the Governor's office at 609-292-6000 or email and let him know you support a black bear hunt!

Anyone have a pickup I can borrow if we get a hunt? I'll bring it back with a full tank

1 minute ago, hostak126 said:

The Governor has stated he's trying to come up with a solution.

I predict he’ll try to bus them to border towns in Texas. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

We all knew this would happen. 237% increase in nuisance and damage reports.  

In addition, here have been 62 aggressive encounters with people compared to seven in 2021 and one person was attacked this year compared to no attacks in 2021. Bears entered a dozen homes this year compared to three reported the previous year and there have been 84 cases of property damage exceeding $1,000 compared to 25 reports last year, according to the report. And there were 12 attacks on dogs, compared to one at this time last year..

Hopefully they learn that ignoring the problem won't make it better... 

17 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

We all knew this would happen. 237% increase in nuisance and damage reports.  

Hopefully they learn that ignoring the problem won't make it better... 

"They" don't learn very well.  The fact that he was so close to getting booted out of office proves it, but I digress...

I have to admit I have mixed feelings about this. I am not against the beer hunt. However, I love seeing Bucky get smacked down by the courts. I also laughed at how the anti-hunters got upset with him for not keeping his campaign promise to not allow the hunts to resume. 

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

I am!!!  What did those poor beers ever do to you?

I am not against the concept of hunting overall, even though I am not a hunter. I don't know if it is the best solution in this case. I think the real solution was to stop infringing on wild animals habitats, but that ship has long since sailed I believe.

While I don’t disagree with the notion of stopping human encroachment on bear habitats, hunting DOES serve a valuable purpose. 
Keeping a herd to a size that is suitable for its food supply, keeps animals from starving to death. Reintroducing species to areas where they had been driven, or hunted out (wolves in Montana/Colorado/Wyoming comes to mind) keeps a natural balance in place. 
Game, and predator management programs. Also the management of invasive species (such as feral hogs). In Texas, for example, feral hogs are a serious problem for both farmers/ranchers, AND game/non game species. They destroy habitat and food supply of many native animals (quail come to mind). They breed faster than we can gun them off. 

There are people out there who think that hunters have a ‘bloodlust’, but it It may surprise them to know that most hunters are actually conservationists. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

In Texas, for example, feral hogs are a serious problem for both farmers/ranchers, AND game/non game species. They destroy habitat and food supply of many native animals (quail come to mind). They breed faster than we can gun them off. 

Let us know when we can come down to help clear out the feral hogs from your land... yanno - because we just wanna kill stuff :D

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 4:55 PM, Krdshrk said:

Let us know when we can come down to help clear out the feral hogs from your land... yanno - because we just wanna kill stuff :D

On 12/1/2022 at 4:58 PM, Displaced Texan said:

This can be arranged. Seriously. 

I'm in. Say when. 

Nick

1 hour ago, DaddyNick said:

I'm in. Say when. 

Nick

Might do an ‘official’ Displaced Texan’s NJGF great Texas hog hunt adventure in Feb/March. Depends on my work schedule. If I can make it happen, I’ll announce it. 

• Like 4