GFarra31

NJ Real ID.....How Long Does it Take?

I renewed my CDL with NJ Real ID 3 ~4 months ahead of time in August 2021, as we seen on full display the scamdemic had caused additional problems to an already dysfunctional system so I want to get it done.  I made the appointment and still had to wait in line with walk-ins which made no sense at the Baker’s Basin Lawrenceville location, it took about 90 minutes. 

On a side not if you even want to pull an abstract or do other NJDMV online stuff you need an UIN number so that might be handy, it don’t cost anything just apply online  https://mymvc.state.nj.us/userid-request/

3 hours ago, GFarra31 said:

Hello All,

Just wanted to give you all an update on my experience.   Made a 9am appointment at Oakland, NJ DMV.    My wife and I were in in and out in 30 minutes.   New DL with RealID should sow in 2-3 weeks.  

Thank you all, George

My wife did hers at South Plainfield - like you said - 30 mins.  Unfortunately they give you a temp license first and the Real ID License in the mail.  It used to be you got your license same day.

• FacePalm 1

Took me like 2 hours because it was North Bergen. I will never go back there again. Too crowded and the security guard likes to yell at people. But I have the star, license mailed from West Trenton in about 2 weeks. I normally use my passport card to fly though.

I actually went the Passport card route. This was at the beginning of COVID when everything was backed out the ass, it was basically easier than doing my license at the time. It was $20 add on to the Passport Book and is good for 10 years vs 4 Years for Drivers License. Something to consider.

1 hour ago, planenut said:

I actually went the Passport card route. This was at the beginning of COVID when everything was backed out the ass, it was basically easier than doing my license at the time. It was $20 add on to the Passport Book and is good for 10 years vs 4 Years for Drivers License. Something to consider.

For flying it works great. It's federally recognized ID. It will of course also let you cross the border to Canada or Mexico by land or sea. 

That said I didn't want to get carded buying liquor, show my DL, then the clueless store clerks see "not valid for real id purposes" and think it's a fake ID.