kc17

Trying to narrow down candidates for a revolver

On 10/30/2022 at 7:50 PM, kc17 said:

She won't shoot because of recoil or other reason? I'm pretty set on wanting a 3" unless someone is able to definitively change my mind based on first hand experience. I'm also waiting on permits, so cannot buy immediately. 

The 38 special is just too snappy for her likes.  I went through what you are going through right now.  She cant rack ANY of my compact 9mm  so I went with the only obvious choice left...the S&W .380 EZ.  I got her the Performance Center Model 12718 with the ported barrel and she just loves shooting it and she can operate the slide with just a few fingers  They have a 50 dollar rebate too right now through Dec. 31.  The base model can be had for under 300 right now.  I bought a pack of snap caps for her to practice loading it.  Solved all of my problems.  The day and night sights on the PC model are just awesome.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

40 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

The 38 special is just too snappy for her likes.  I went through what you are going through right now.  She cant rack ANY of my compact 9mm  so I went with the only obvious choice left...the S&W .380 EZ.  I got her the Performance Center Model 12718 with the ported barrel and she just loves shooting it and she can operate the slide with just a few fingers  They have a 50 dollar rebate too right now through Dec. 31.  The base model can be had for under 300 right now.  I bought a pack of snap caps for her to practice loading it.  Solved all of my problems.  The day and night sights on the PC model are just awesome.

How does the EZ eject the cases? My M&P Full & Shields tend to eject straight back at the shooter; SIGs more 3-4 o'clock. 

29 minutes ago, kc17 said:

How does the EZ eject the cases? My M&P Full & Shields tend to eject straight back at the shooter; SIGs more 3-4 o'clock. 

No problem with the ejection range that I am aware of.  It is one of the sweetest shooters I own and she likes it.  The .380 is just perfect for her.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kc17 said:

So, I bought two guns today. A Shield .380 EZ, to take advantage of the rebate and a used S&W Model 36-6 in .38. Got them both for right around the high end of my budget for a .357 revolver. 

Did you get the standard model or the Performance Center model?  Both are super nice.

Standard, black, no thumb safety; SKU 180023. Dealer had to order it, he entered the NICS for the revolver tonight, so I'll get the Shield 31 days plus whatever the NICS delay then is after this NICS processes. He said NICS was still working on last Thursday today. 

On 11/16/2022 at 4:51 AM, Underdog said:

That video's explanation of reactive interference comports exactly with the difference in my performance with a laser training setup vs. the live fire range. And I've been aware of that for some time without a solid idea about how to deal with it. I'm definitely going to explore his suggestions.

And the female postscript was spot on.

I think of John Creasy. "Welcome the sound. The shot will set you free."

Thanks @Underdog for that post!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, kc17 said:

Late update.

Today was second range trip for the revolver and first for the Shield. I like them both, wife likes them both, she prefers the Shield. Now I need to stock up on .380 ACP and .38 Special and/or consider reloading them. 

I have these .380 snap caps sitting here that I used to teach her how to load it,  You are welcome to them if you want to go that route.  The EZ model are nice because the mags have nubs that stick out and are easy to pull the spring down to load it.

11 hours ago, Tunaman said:

I have these .380 snap caps sitting here that I used to teach her how to load it,  You are welcome to them if you want to go that route.  The EZ model are nice because the mags have nubs that stick out and are easy to pull the spring down to load it.

Thanks. She's pretty proficient with loading and handling and I doubt I'd be able to get her to do enough dry firing practice to justify them. The nubs are nice, springs were still tight yet, I needed to hold the mag baseplate against my stomach or table to get that 8th round in. 

20 hours ago, kc17 said:

Now I need to stock up on .380 ACP and .38 Special and/or consider reloading them. 

I'm a fan of reloading, but if you're not already setup for it things will be pretty expensive...

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

I'm a fan of reloading, but if you're not already setup for it things will be pretty expensive...

I'm setup for 9mm already, so I just need new dies, case holders and cartridge gauges. I think. Not counting projectiles of course. I "assume" I can use the same powder. I know I can use the same primers. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 2:01 PM, kc17 said:

I'm setup for 9mm already, so I just need new dies, case holders and cartridge gauges. I think. Not counting projectiles of course. I "assume" I can use the same powder. I know I can use the same primers. 

Depends on what you use for 9mm but most powders work in 380. I use silhouette for both. Projectiles are same diameter  .355 but 380 is only really good up 100gr .

• Informative 1

.38/.38+p/.357 Ruger Security 6 double action and Blackhawk single action were my choices. (I love overbuilt Rugers)

Going with .38/.357 opens the doors for pistol caliber rifles like the Henry Big Boy - which is a load of fun to shoot

Going with a pistol and rifle combo, you'll definitely want to reload !