brucin

Kerosene

Does anyone know where I can get 5 gallon kerosene cans filled? Preferably Morris or Sussex counties.

I've called several oil distributers and they have all said they don't carry it.

50 minutes ago, brucin said:

Does anyone know where I can get 5 gallon kerosene cans filled? Preferably Morris or Sussex counties.

I've called several oil distributers and they have all said they don't carry it.

Does it have to be Kero? I've used the low sulfur diesel they sell these days in my forced air heater when Kero prices got too expensive.

Now diesel prices are outrageous as well but at least its easy to find.

There was a gas station or two on Rt. 23 north of Butler that sold Kero but I haven't been up that way lately.

https://www.fredericksfuel.com/fuels/kerosene/

8 hours ago, brucin said:

The Conoco on Main Street in Boonton has a dedicated kerosene pump, set to the left of the building.   I've no idea if they actually have kerosene (website doesn't say), but their number is (973) 794-4877

9 hours ago, 45Doll said:

In the past I bought mine here. They're just north of Newton on 206. Although I don't know if they have any at the moment. Or what the price is!

Heating Fuels | Northern New Jersey | Fairclough Fuel

Thanks I filled out their customer form because there was no phone # on the website waiting to hear back.

A representative from Dixon Oil told me there is no kerosene in NJ. I'm thinking it's like getting gun law advice from a gun store employee.

We shall see.

11 hours ago, 10X said:

The Conoco on Main Street in Boonton has a dedicated kerosene pump, set to the left of the building.   I've no idea if they actually have kerosene (website doesn't say), but their number is (973) 794-4877

Thanks tried calling but it was a fax machine. I've tried them before I think. They had the sign and the pump but no kerosene.

1 hour ago, brucin said:

Thanks I filled out their customer form because there was no phone # on the website waiting to hear back.

If  you do let me know what they say, and if they have any what the price is.

Also, I remember now the Shell station on 206 south just south of Andover has a kerosene pump. I don't know if they have stock or the price, but if I go past them in the near future I'll stop and ask.

As for the Dixon rep, he may not be bullshitting. Kerosene may be lower on the demand scale than diesel or fuel oil, and production may be deliberately paused.

Note: Tucker tonight with a rep from Combined Energy Service said kerosene in the NE including NJ "if you can find it" is over $7.00/gal. He also mentioned NJ has outlawed boilers over 1MM BTU using fossil fuels and they must convert to electric by 2025? 8,300 of them? When the hell did that happen?????

Watch tonight's episode to see that interview. Also, home heating oil over $6.00/gal.

Edited by 45Doll
Note added.

2 hours ago, brucin said:

told me there is no kerosene in NJ

Not true.  I don't use kero so I don't pay attention too much, but I see kero pumps at random gas stations all the time.  For the next few car fill ups, maybe go to different stations around you and see if they have it.  Also, wouldn't a camping supply store or some hardware stores carry it in cans.  I know you are looking for refills, but in a pinch you can probably find it through retail channels.

I know many of you hate Facebook. I don't like it much either and use it rarely. But if your town has a Facebook page (or perhaps that competitor service, Nextdoor), I have to admit, local town social media pages really are great for situations exactly like your current conundrum. On the rare occasions I need to locate a service or product in my local area (like most recently - a firewood supplier, and a chimney sweep), I post the question to my town's very busy Facebook page and "voila" - within a few hours people are chiming in with helpful recommendations. Once I see several people recommending the same supplier - now I know where to start. It really is extremely helpful for stuff like that. Actually, it's the only reason I still keep a Facebook account, as I never post anything to my own personal page. Anyway, you might want to explore that, if you haven't already. 

Edit: this article might help too - might take a little online digging and calls though - https://frugalreality.com/gas-stations-that-sell-kerosene-near-me/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I have to admit, local town social media pages really are great

That and the marketplace are the only things I miss since I forsook FB.  They are both excellent resources, it's how I found a good roofer.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

That and the marketplace are the only things I miss since I forsook FB.  They are both excellent resources, it's how I found a good roofer.

Agreed, I just cannot bring myself to be responsible for giving anymore money to zuckerberg, even though it's not from me directly. I kinda wish Musk had bought fb instead of twitter. 

@brucin Kerosene does seem to still exist in NJ, just don't know about your area. Here is a google street-view image of the Gulf on 537 on the border of Millstone/Jackson. About a mile East of I-195. 

gulf-2.thumb.jpg.6f639ca9bd6cfe936cf03507cb642396.jpg

My wife the lovely Cindy went on our local facebook page and low and behold I got a lead on a station nearby that sells kerosene.

They have a plaque on the wall in the office with the 2nd amendment on it so they deserve our support. It's an old school station built in the 30's still independent. The kerosene pump is inside the building. Never saw that before.

Topspeed Automotive

146 Landing Rd

Landing NJ

7.98 a gallon

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, brucin said:

My wife the lovely Cindy went on our local facebook page and low and behold I got a lead on a station nearby that sells kerosene.

They have a plaque on the wall in the office with the 2nd amendment on it so they deserve our support. It's an old school station built in the 30's still independent. The kerosene pump is inside the building. Never saw that before.

Topspeed Automotive

146 Landing Rd

Landing NJ

7.98 a gallon

$ 7.98 A gallon  Thats crazy!

19 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

$ 7.98 A gallon  Thats crazy!

Not if you've been tracking the distillate supplies. Home heating oil is going to be another big shock, at least here in the northeast.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Not if you've been tracking the distillate supplies. Home heating oil is going to be another big shock, at least here in the northeast.

Yes.  Between electric space heat and a fireplace, I am trying to reduce oil use as much as possible for that exact shock..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

Yes.  Between electric space heat and a fireplace, I am trying to reduce oil use as much as possible for that exact shock..

Yup! I've lived in this house for 16 years... just bought a cord of wood for the first time. I'm going "old school", lol... because I can't even imagine what the fuel costs will be like. Last winter was bad enough. Now it's just CRAZY. I think I'll just leave my thermostat low and try to maximize the woodburning stove.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Yup! I've lived in this house for 16 years... just bought a cord of wood for the first time. I'm going "old school", lol... because I can't even imagine what the fuel costs will be like. Last winter was bad enough. Now it's just CRAZY. I think I'll just leave my thermostat low and try to maximize the woodburning stove.

Time to break out those Mr. Rogers sweaters.

• Agree 1

I stopped at the Shell station on 206 about a mile south of Andover where they have a kerosene pump. The price was $6.95.

I spoke to the owner who told me their pump was broken but there was plenty of kerosene in the tank. And yes they're going to get the pump fixed.

On 11/5/2022 at 10:03 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

fans.

my house is slightly less than 1,000 square ft. i have a vornado vertical fan next to the stove. it blows the air tot he front of the living room. another fan there blows the air down the hallway and into my bedroom off the hallway. those are enough that it circulates nicely, usually keeping the entire house around 80-85 when temp is into the mid 20's. little cooler if/when we get into the teens.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I have a traditional open fireplace in the living room at far end of a single story ranch house. That can get the living room sweltering hot, my problem is, it draws the heat from the rest of the house. Other end of the house is freezing. I wish I had been smart enough to install an insert years ago when we had extra cash and prices were better. 

Fairclough Oil on 206 north of Newton is where I have historically gone to buy kerosene. I only use it in really severe weather conditions, or a power outage.

I drove through their station yesterday to check their price on kerosene. Couldn't tell, because the big sign over the pumps said NO KEROSENE.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:05 PM, brucin said:

Delta in Wantage next to Cow Patty's usually has. 

On 11/5/2022 at 4:49 PM, brucin said:

Topspeed Automotive

146 Landing Rd

Landing NJ

found it here a few weeks ago Thanks everyone for still looking and I'm sure others might still need some