GFarra31

Storage solutions, some help please!

Hi Everyone,

I was planning on purchasing one of the the Secureit ultralight cabinets so i can organize and put all my stuff in one place.    I was originally hoping to put it into a closet but that option is not going to work out as i thought...even the Agile 40 is too tall.   So I am looking for potential alternatives......shorter and wider.

I do not have any long guns and most likely will not in the future.   So 2 pistols right now, but would like some additional space for 2 more, mags, ammo, eyes/ears, cleaning supplies, etc.    I like the Secureit concept.  I do not need fire rating.    I am going to be using a room on the second floor that contains some workout stuff and a wall mounted TV.   I'd like some sort of security cabinet that can fit under the TV.   The pistols will be stored in a secured case and the ammo is all in locked ammo cans.   It would be great if the cabinet can lock, but I want this to be inconspicuous.   There are no kids in the house, so this is to keep things out of view to family & friends that visit and of course strangers that shouldn't be there in the first place.

I already have a night table set up with a fingerprint case that holds my main 9mm for home defense.   This would be to hold pistols and stuff that I do not need to reach right away.    I'd also like to be able to put a small fire proof safe to hold important documents just to give them a chance of surviving a fire.

Let me hear your creative thoughts on this!

Thank you, George

Horizontal file cabinet? It does not scream guns inside. You can get wooden ones if you don't want the metal look. Locks are usually standard. TV stand type thing, but they are usually open for ventilation. 

Edit to add... just watch the weight rating. Ammo supplies get heavy quickly. 

16 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Why not just put a lock on the door to the closet you want to use? If you don’t want a keyed lock, look at some simplex lock options. Affordable, secure, and very fast to unlock.

@High Exposure, the closet I was planning on using is a bedroom closet with 2 sliding bi-pass doors.    I guess I can see what kind of locks are available for those.

Thank you everyone.    Some great ideas here.

George

Thank you everyone.   Some great options for me to consider.

George

22 minutes ago, GFarra31 said:

@High Exposure, the closet I was planning on using is a bedroom closet with 2 sliding bi-pass doors.    I guess I can see what kind of locks are available for those.

George

George

You may need to do some other modifications in addition to the lock.   By-pass doors easily come off the rails if lifted up, and the guide that is often fastened to the floor is usually pretty flimsy as well.   Even with the two doors locked together, unless you harden the installation it would still be easy to get in.

33 minutes ago, GFarra31 said:

George

George

Yeah, Sliders won’t work. Too easy to dismantle and get around any security you may install.

Oh I know!   That is why I was hoping to fit a lockable security cabinet (like Secureit's Agile 40) inside the closet and bolt the thing to the wall & floor.    I was unable to configure the closet to accommodate my plan since there is also clothing and shoes in the same space.   Wife wasn't happy with me buying a standalone wardrobe cabinet for the displaced clothing.

Thinking slightly out of the norm, but would your original idea of the SecureIt model work if you laid it on it's back with the hinge along the back wall of the closet - lift the door away from you to open. With a total weight of only 100lb, I can't imagine the door is so heavy that an average person couldn't lift it in its hinge.

Free bonus is hanging space in the closet is all still available.

I have been a happy owner of an Agile 52 which I have in the corner of a spare bedroom. Laying the Agile 40 on its back is an interesting suggestion.  However doing so would preclude you from using its CradleGrid system which is fundamental to its design and utility.  I can also foresee the door accidently closing on your head or hand as you have the door propped open. 

Well, laying the Agile 40 on its side or back wont work.    The closet has one of those California Closet set ups in it that I am not allowed to remove (wife's orders, LOL), so I don't have the width needed.   I have the height for a 40 or even a 52, on the hanging side of the closet.    Honestly I think I just need to figure out where to relocate the clothing and shoes so i can use the space I originally wanted to use.

Thank you all,

George