bennj

FID change of address

You have to apply all over again through FARS. The PD in your new town will do the background check all over again, including the mental health records check all over again. Most towns don't require fingerprints all over again, but a few did before FARS. I don't know if they still do.

In case you're wondering, yes it is duplicating the costs, work and delays all over again.

ETA, you may as well apply for a few pistol purchase permits at the same time (while they are still cheap) as it is the same set of checks, all over again.

2 minutes ago, bennj said:

Don't know where exactly to put this. If someone needed to make a change of address to their FID would they have to pay a fee if it's only for a new card showing the address change? It's still an NJ address, just different township.

Thanks,

Ben

I don't know what the exact fee is but you'll have to go though FARS for change of address. of course you'll need your new matching DL with new address too

27 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

You have to apply all over again through FARS. The PD in your new town will do the background check all over again, including the mental health records check all over again. Most towns don't require fingerprints all over again, but a few did before FARS. I don't know if they still do.

In case you're wondering, yes it is duplicating the costs, work and delays all over again.

ETA, you may as well apply for a few pistol purchase permits at the same time (while they are still cheap) as it is the same set of checks, all over again.

Incredible, just more proof of unnecessary requirements to further complicate a basic right! He only moved 20 minutes from his previous township! His original card isn't even a year old.Thanks for the quick responses guys, I'll pass it on.

• Agree 1

I’ll do you one better: I moved from one side of Kenilworth to the other and waited almost two months to get change of address for FID. Now the NJSP link to the E-file won’t open so I can’t print it out. Either it’s a corrupt file they sent or my Adobe Acrobat is ferkakt.

Im pretty sure i read that if you have lived in NJ for 10 years or more and you have applied for FID or PP and have been issued them, mental health sp66 is not required . I read that on the nj.gov site. Obviously you would have filled out the SP 66 form for your FID etc initially

Just got my new FID following a change of address.  It took three months, even though I just moved within Wayne.  In fairness, the town has been pretty good in the past, but they said they are swamped with CCW applications and are having trouble keeping up. 

So after months of waiting, I got the notice that it was OK to print out my new FID.  Seriously?  I had to cut out a piece of paper that is too big to fit in any wallet, so I just folded it over and shoved it in next to my Florida CCW card.  The State of NJ can't even send a card that looks like an official document anymore?  Good grief!

3 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Just got my new FID following a change of address.  It took three months, even though I just moved within Wayne.  In fairness, the town has been pretty good in the past, but they said they are swamped with CCW applications and are having trouble keeping up. 

So after months of waiting, I got the notice that it was OK to print out my new FID.  Seriously?  I had to cut out a piece of paper that is too big to fit in any wallet, so I just folded it over and shoved it in next to my Florida CCW card.  The State of NJ can't even send a card that looks like an official document anymore?  Good grief!

Just reduce it on your printer to credit-card size and laminate it at Staples.

26 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I appreciate your helpful suggestion.  But that thing is still pretty cheesy.

Oh it's ABSOLUTELY cheesy.

It's either intentionally done to piss people off, or it's incompetence.

Or maybe a little of both...