leo-польд

carry and leave gun in car while not carry

Hi, so I got permit and I do carry now thanks to God! :) no restrictions! Questions:

- I can't carry at my work, i got safe in my truck and I could lock it there. Since NJ law we need to keep guns unloaded and ammo/gun separate place, does it apply on ccw pistol if keep in safe?

- If above is ok to keep in safe loaded, can I just occasionally drive like this with gun in safe?

- if police stop you, would you say - I have ccw pistol in safe if they ask about gun?

Thanks! 

Here in Texas, we are required to notify a LEO that we are carrying, or have a firearm in reach, if we are pulled over. 

I get that. 

AFAIK, we are NOT required to notify LEO if we have a weapon in the vehicle that is not on our person, or within reach. 

4 hours ago, leo-польд said:

Hi, so I got permit and I do carry now thanks to God! :) no restrictions! Questions:

- I can't carry at my work, i got safe in my truck and I could lock it there. Since NJ law we need to keep guns unloaded and ammo/gun separate place, does it apply on ccw pistol if keep in safe?

- If above is ok to keep in safe loaded, can I just occasionally drive like this with gun in safe?

- if police stop you, would you say - I have ccw pistol in safe if they ask about gun?

Thanks! 

Interesting question.

I'm not a lawyer, but if it's OK for you to be driving the vehicle with the loaded pistol in a holster on your belt, I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to carry it locked in a travel safe under your seat.

Interested to hear some more expert opinions...

We do not have to inform Law Enforcement that we're carrying.  Keep it concealed, keep your lips zipped.  If it's loaded but locked, you're still fine if you have a NJ PTC (for now).  If you're crossing the border into PA - that needs to be unloaded unless you have a PA CCW (Follow FOPA).  

• Like 5

If you want to lock it up while it’s in the car check out “Vaultek”. They make some cool safes especially for traveling etc. A lot of ‘em are even biometric and you can even run a cable through it so somebody can’t just break into your car and walk off with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stacks73 said:

If you want to lock it up while it’s in the car check out “Vaultek”. They make some cool safes especially for traveling etc. A lot of ‘em are even biometric and you can even run a cable through it so somebody can’t just break into your car and walk off with it. 

I did install safe in my Ram already, it is pretty good with the key for the console which is huge in Ram 1500. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2FN3WY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1

so a question on this.

there's a ton of "the ammo has to be in a separate container" vs "the ammo can be in the same container as long as the gun's not loaded".

so.....bolting a small safe into ones vehicle, and transporting the pistol unloaded, but with loaded mag also in the safe......legal?

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

so a question on this.

there's a ton of "the ammo has to be in a separate container" vs "the ammo can be in the same container as long as the gun's not loaded".

so.....bolting a small safe into ones vehicle, and transporting the pistol unloaded, but with loaded mag also in the safe......legal?

Yes. Unless you cross a state border

On 11/23/2022 at 9:22 AM, 124gr9mm said:

I'm not a lawyer, but if it's OK for you to be driving the vehicle with the loaded pistol in a holster on your belt, I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to carry it locked in a travel safe under your seat.

3 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

I don't understand the mental gymnastics here, and jumping through hoops. If you have PTC, you can carry and can quickly access the firearm if needed. Locking it in a safe defeats the whole point of getting a permit for personal protection. Are you going to tell a carjacker, hold on while I open my safe, get out my pistol and pick up the separate mag, then load and rack the slide, then you're ready? 

Kneeing to these bureaucrats every time, is why we find ourselves in this situation. What happened to Shall not be Infringed? Why are people agreeing to all these barriers to self protection?

27 minutes ago, BigGuns said:

I don't understand the mental gymnastics here, and jumping through hoops. If you have PTC, you can carry and can quickly access the firearm if needed. Locking it in a safe defeats the whole point of getting a permit for personal protection. Are you going to tell a carjacker, hold on while I open my safe, get out my pistol and pick up the separate mag, then load and rack the slide, then you're ready? 

Kneeing to these bureaucrats every time, is why we find ourselves in this situation. What happened to Shall not be Infringed? Why are people agreeing to all these barriers to self protection?

i don't have my ptc yet.

29 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i don't have my ptc yet.

My point was, we can get a PTC in other states, that we don't reside in, by just mailing in a piece of paper with basic information on it. No restrictions on which pistol you can carry there.

With reciprocity, I can carry in states that I never even sent in any personal information.

But this state, that we actually live in, guys are willing to jump through all these unconstitutional hoops, for the hope of carrying to protect themselves. This defies logic.

2 hours ago, BigGuns said:

No idea why you quoted me.

Also no idea why you can't understand the OP's question and are looking to turn the thread into some kind of drama.

I'll make it simpler for you so you can follow:

"Do the absurd firearms transportation laws apply in the same way to people with carry permits, or would there be exceptions if a carry permit holder transports his loaded pistol in a safe instead of his holster"/

7 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

absurd firearms transportation laws

That's why I quoted you. All the laws are absurd. From the processes to apply for permission to buy a firearm with a FID, for the process to apply for permission to buy a handgun with a PTP, for the process to apply for the permission for a PTC, and now talking about installing safes in the vehicle to adhere to the absurd transportation laws.

In each of these absurd unconstitutional steps/processes/permissions, gun owners just keep going along with them, when they actually are an individual Right. At what point do gun owners say enough?

10 hours ago, BigGuns said:

My point was, we can get a PTC in other states, that we don't reside in, by just mailing in a piece of paper with basic information on it. No restrictions on which pistol you can carry there.

With reciprocity, I can carry in states that I never even sent in any personal information.

But this state, that we actually live in, guys are willing to jump through all these unconstitutional hoops, for the hope of carrying to protect themselves. This defies logic.

deleteed

10 hours ago, BigGuns said:

That's why I quoted you. All the laws are absurd. From the processes to apply for permission to buy a firearm with a FID, for the process to apply for permission to buy a handgun with a PTP, for the process to apply for the permission for a PTC, and now talking about installing safes in the vehicle to adhere to the absurd transportation laws.

In each of these absurd unconstitutional steps/processes/permissions, gun owners just keep going along with them, when they actually are an individual Right. At what point do gun owners say enough?

OK, you go first.  Start defying (absurd) gun laws.  Let us know how that works for you.

OP is in uncharted waters.  There was a small victory in the fight and he now has a carry permit.  Unfortunately he still needs to navigate the legal quagmire that is NJ, so he's looking for support among fellow travelers.

The way to fight is through the courts.  Join ANJRPC, GOA, NRA, and support the Strikeforce.  Send e-mail, snail mail, and make phone calls to legislators.

Being a dick to a fellow gun owner who's just trying to do the right thing is senseless.  OP obviously spent time and money to be part of the process, so doesn't it make sense to try to help him out?

44 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

The way to fight is through the courts.  Join ANJRPC, GOA, NRA, and support the Strikeforce.  Send e-mail, snail mail, and make phone calls to legislators.

THIS!!!! 

If you are not in the fight, you are doing it wrong. Don’t stand by and ride on the coattails of others doing the hard work. Get involved. 

• Like 1

I am not a lawyer, but my reading of 18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6106 (b) (11) is that one can carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle in PA without a PA LTC but with NJ PCH:

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=18&div=0&chpt=61&sctn=6&subsctn=0

Specifically:

"(b)  Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11)  Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state."

4 minutes ago, sorvanetzsorv said:

I am not a lawyer, but my reading of 18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6106 (b) (11) is that one can carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle in PA without a PA LTC but with NJ PCH:

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=18&div=0&chpt=61&sctn=6&subsctn=0

Specifically:

"(b)  Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11)  Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state."

Yes.  Exemption #11 will work for a NJ license too.

Open carry is legal in PA without a PA license (except in Philadelphia!) as long as there is no declared state of emergency, which are now limited to 30 days unless the legislature extends it.

Think about short trips between "post offices" and your gun is in car safe loaded, how would you do it now without braking current NJ laws? Taking it out of safe and stick it into pants every 5 min is not anyhow easy as well, also not that good if people/cameras watching you doing it around your car. So, what the solution on this?

7 hours ago, leo-польд said:

Think about short trips between "post offices" and you gun is in car safe loaded, how would you do it now without braking current NJ laws? Taking it out of safe and stick it into pants every 5 min is not anyhow easy as well, also not that good if people/cameras watching you doing it around your car. So, what the solution on this?

I dunno.  Sounds kind of easy.

Keep the holster on at all times (IWB) and take the gun out for storage (or put it back in holster) in your vehicle...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

I dunno.  Sounds kind of easy.

Keep the holster on at all times (IWB) and take the gun out for storage (or put it back in holster) in your vehicle...

What could go wrong with xxx,xxx people doing that daily multiple times per outing…. I saw first hand the skill level on more than half of the total people in the groups I saw at a jersey club range qualifying….Half seemed like they’d not handled or shot much if at all… half of that half was downright scary.. like “click” turn it sideways muzzle at the guy on the line next to him… a couple shot the ground when drawing 5’ in front of them… a few mags dropped on the first shot…. 

I could imagine lacking those fundamentals, holstering in a seated position with outer garments to deal with etc … I could foresee reading about people banging off rounds into their seat/themselves .. logically they should all be getting training and practicing safe handling manipulations but in reality I doubt most will… and the more it’s handled it exponentially increases the chances of ad/nd’s ….where as if they are able to get dressed and holster up in the privacy of their home and not touch it until they return that would be the safest for everyone around lol

• Agree 1

These new restriction are going to have people upholstering and unloading then reholstering and loading several times per outing.  

I don’t under stand how the legislature does not see that as an issue.  Forget about the increased likely hood of 911 calls reporting  suspicious people handling firearms.

Dont most police locker rooms have a safe containers officers are required to point there firearm in whenever loading or unloading to prevent the frequent accidental discharges from killing other officers or themselves?  Where do I point my gun when doing this in my cramped car? 

I think the reality is we are going to become a car carry state, It is just so impractical and so few places you are allowed to carry on your person to realistically take advance of the permitt. 
Our best realistic use to to keep it secure in your vehicle, carry it occasionally and have delayed access should a situation arise where you have time to receive and load it from your vehicle  but for some reason driving away in your vehicle is not possible.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Jfoster99 said:

These new restriction are going to have people upholstering and unloading then reholstering and loading several times per outing.  

I don’t under stand how the legislature does not see that as an issue.  Forget about the increased likely hood of 911 calls reporting  suspicious people handling firearms.

Dont most police locker rooms have a safe containers officers are required to point there firearm in whenever loading or unloading to prevent the frequent accidental discharges from killing other officers or themselves?  Where do I point my gun when doing this in my cramped car? 

I think the reality is we are going to become a car carry state, It is just so impractical and so few places you are allowed to carry on your person to realistically take advance of the permitt. 
Our best realistic use to to keep it secure in your vehicle, carry it occasionally and have delayed access should a situation arise where you have time to receive and load it from your vehicle  but for some reason driving away in your vehicle is not possible.

Just throwing a scenario out there, New Jersey concealed carry permit holder, traveling from his home to a destination one of the 1.5 places he would be able to carry …….during his drive as a law abiding citizen. He has it locked up in a case, unloaded separate from the Ammo in the trunk of his car, he’s car jacked at gunpoint at a traffic light unable to defend himself or his vehicle. The criminal now has his car, gun and ammo. 

listening to the hearings, they’re talking about public safety and protecting people and yada yada yada. The only people these restrictions are protecting or the criminals which I guess would be their revenue source and voter base so obviously I guess thats why they are. So hell-bent on protecting them.

Looking into away to secure my handgun in the car when I can't CCW at a particular location and am forced to leave it in the car.  I like this because it is small making more options for placement, but mounting it and changing the holster to fit different guns would be a major PITA I think.  

https://varasafety.com/

r2s_6_2000x.jpg?v=1668264789

Yeah, there are a lot of options out there.  Seems like  LOT of companies are jumping into the frenzy and putting out different solutions.

I'm probably going with a basic single gun safe that I can cable lock/hard mount under a seat,or one of the console safes like this:

FullSizeRender.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=0bb0a3

If someone steals the entire vehicle it doesn't matter (bad guys will get everything) but I want something that will prevent the smash and grab type person from getting my pistol.