Cheflife15

Close to mid range optic

I'm looking for a nice optic for my rifle. 

Most of my shooting will be within 50 yards but I would love the option of going further. 

I'm debating between the following but after jumping down the rabbit hole I can't decide. 

I'm debating between the following

Trijicon TA31F.

aimpoint duty or pro and magnifier. 

Eotech and magnifier.

any insight is welcome

i want something that is bomb proof and my budget is 1000. 

I was in the middle of typing a response, but High Exposure summed it up quicker than I could. 

T2 with a 50/200 yard zero. You’ll be within 4” or so of POA from 0-200 yards, and drop to 300 from there is only a few inches. 

I have 6-7 ACOGS…while they are fantastic, I think a good quality red dot is much more practical. 

• Like 1

On LaRues site, the price difference between a H2 and a T2 is less than $100, and it includes your choice of LaRues excellent mounts. 

https://www.larue.com/category/optic-combos/red-dot-combos/aimpoint/

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

I picked up a scallerworks mount as I heard they're pretty awesome. Trying to keep the rifle as light as possible. 

When they had them in stock, their mount+optic buddles were the best priced. I think I paid 800 for mount and t2.  

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 6:19 PM, High Exposure said:

All you need is a red dot sight.

I’d get a T2 and call it a day.

Magnification does not help you shoot better. It only helps you see better. A plain unmagnified red dot sight is good out to 300 yards with just a little practice. 

7 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Any suggestions for a decent magnifier. I don't want to skimp but I don't see myself investing as much money into it. Is $300 a decent starting point?

See High Exposures post above. 

If you really feel you NEED magnification, and you want to keep your rifle light, IMHO, you might as well go with a magnified optic in the first place. 
Magnifiers, and associated flip aside mounts for them, aren’t exactly light.

For your stated purpose, I’d probably stick to just the H2. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

See High Exposures post above. 

If you really feel you NEED magnification, and you want to keep your rifle light, IMHO, you might as well go with a magnified optic in the first place. 
Magnifiers, and associated flip aside mounts for them, aren’t exactly light in the first place. 

For your stated purpose, I’d probably stick to just the H2. 

Yeah this makes sense. I think I wanted a magnifier just for the sake of it. After seeing how much some weigh I'll stick with the red dot only. 

Thank you all for your help!

8 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Yeah this makes sense. I think I wanted a magnifier just for the sake of it. After seeing how much some weigh I'll stick with the red dot only. 

Thank you all for your help!

I’ll make you an offer….

I have an ACOG that doesn’t currently have a home. If you want to try it, I’ll loan it to you to see if you like it. I’m currently using it to spot deer in my backyard.

No obligation at all, other than covering shipping both ways. 
It’s a 4x32 model, so you can see if you want or NEED magnification. Clamp it on your rifle, and take it to the range and check it out. 

Let me know if you want to borrow it. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Displaced Texan said:

I’ll make you an offer….

I have an ACOG that doesn’t currently have a home. If you want to try it, I’ll loan it to you to see if you like it. I’m currently using it to spot deer in my backyard.

No obligation at all, other than covering shipping both ways. 
It’s a 4x32 model, so you can see if you want or NEED magnification. Clamp it on your rifle, and take it to the range and check it out. 

Let me know if you want to borrow it. 

That's an extremely generous offer. I'll probably regret this but after purchasing the red dot I'm going to commit to it for a while. I have a baby coming in 7 months so this was my last fun expense for a while. Thank you very much though! 

I think the red dot was the right call. Most of my shooting is 50 yards or less at old bridge rifle club. 

2 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

That's an extremely generous offer. I'll probably regret this but after purchasing the red dot I'm going to commit to it for a while. I have a baby coming in 7 months so this was my last fun expense for a while. Thank you very much though! 

I think the red dot was the right call. Most of my shooting is 50 yards or less at old bridge rifle club. 

Fair enough, just thought I’d extend the offer. I haven’t built the rifle it was going to reside on yet, so it’s sitting around. 

FWIW I think the red dot is the right call for you as well.

Should you decide you want to try it, let me know. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2022 at 7:19 PM, High Exposure said:

All you need is a red dot sight.

I’d get a T2 and call it a day.

Magnification does not help you shoot better. It only helps you see better. A plain unmagnified red dot sight is good out to 300 yards with just a little practice. 

Unless he is using NV - then probably an H2. A lot less with the same functions except NV capability.

2 hours ago, Bellasdaddy said:

Unless he is using NV - then probably an H2. A lot less with the same functions except NV capability.

Absolutely.

Also, after having some time on one, I’d say the Aimpoint Duty RDS is a good option for a “budget” micro Aimpoint optic. They are about $450-$500 vs $800-$875 for an H2.

Just keep in mind the difference in height when buying mounts. An absolute T1/T2 mount will be a lower 1/3 mount with a Duty RDS.

Aimpoint Pro is a good choice as well. With a little work, you can find them under $400 new and under $350 used. I just grabbed a used PRO for $300 a few months ago.

• Like 1

i went with a Burris elite 3200 scope, 4-12x with adjustable objective mounted on a pepr, and a Magpul Pro buis canted and flipup.  Having the AO is nice with settings from 10 to 300+ yards, making the rotate from iron to scope fast.

My other has a holosun 503bu (circle and dot), with optional qd mounted primary arms 5x.