Mike77

Vehicle Carry With Permit

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Off body carry of your CCW is dumb. It is only acceptable as a last resort, a special requirement, or an accommodation for a disability

If you are going to CCW, keep it on your person wherever it is legal and appropriate to do so.

You are sitting in your car, you need to pull your gun, you need to lean to side, battle the seat buckle, trying to unholstered it.    Or you pull up from a holster mounted between your legs on your seat, or under dash that you can draw from. 

Explain the "dumb" part. 

On 11/29/2022 at 5:07 PM, Mike77 said:

You are sitting in your car, you need to pull your gun, you need to lean to side, battle the seat buckle, trying to unholstered it.    Or you pull up from a holster mounted between your legs on your seat, or under dash that you can draw from. 

Explain the "dumb" part. 

3 basic reasons why it’s dumb:

The first rule of getting into a gunfight while seated in your car is: Don’t.

Cars are bullet magnets and offer almost no protective cover from incoming rounds. So, if you’re in a car and you need to pull your gun, hit the gas and drive away instead. If you can’t drive away, your best course of action is to bail out of the car and make space between you and your aggressor/bad guy. I bet you’ll wish the gun was already on your person then. Think about this - If you are carjacked, would you rather have the gun on you as you are forced out of the car? Or still in the holster between your legs that you can’t get to without telegraphing your intent to fight? Or is it better to leave it in the car as a gift to the bad guy?

Fighting while trapped in a car is the last resort. If that’s the case and you have to fight from inside your car, carrying off body is dumb because:

You spend hours and hours of training time and ammo drawing from your body. Do you really think you are going to remember, under the stress of a physical altercation where you need your gun, that today, for the 15 minutes you are in your car, that you put the gun over here? In this spot? Not on your body where you are used to it? News flash - you aren’t.

Ultimately, no one rises to the occasion. Everyone falls back on their highest level of training. In other words - under stress - your 20 reps from the off-body car rig will not override your 10000 reps of drawing from the holster on your belt.

Keep the gun on your body and attend a training class that will teach you the proper way to fight from a seated position. It’s not hard to do once someone shows you the way.

ETA: I thought of a third reason - the first time you walk into a Stop & Rob and realize your holster is empty because the gun is in the car - because you forgot to transfer it over to your hip when you got out of the car to get a Twinkie and a coffee - you’ll never off-body carry again.

So - to sum up:

1) If you choose to get in a gunfight while seated in your car - That’s dumb.

2) If you have to bail out of the car and you leave your gun behind - That’s dumb.

3) If you react to a deadly threat and unconsciously reach for your gun at your hip/appendix (where you normally carry it) and you find an empty holster - (either due to forgetting you moved it to a new location or forgetting it altogether in the car) - That’s dumb.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

3 basic reasons why it’s dumb:

The first rule of getting into a gunfight while seated in your car is don’t. Cars are bullet magnets and offer almost no protective cover from incoming rounds. So, if you’re in a car and you need to pull your gun, hit the gas and drive away instead. If you can’t drive away, your best course of action is to bail out of the car and make space between you and your aggressor/bad guy. I bet you’ll wish the gun was already on your person then. Think about this - If you are carjacked, would you rather have the gun on you as you are forced out of the car? Or still in the holster between your legs that you can’t get to without telegraphing your intent to fight? Or is it better to leave it in the car as a gift to the bad guy?

Fighting while trapped in a car is the last resort. If that’s the case and you have to fight from inside your car, carrying off body is dumb because:

You spend hours and hours of training time and ammo drawing from your body. Do you really think you are going to remember, under the stress of a physical altercation where you need your gun, that today, for the 15 minutes you are in your car, that you put the gun over here? In this spot? Not on your body where you are used to it? News flash - you aren’t.

Ultimately, no one rises to the occasion. Everyone falls back on their highest level of training. In other words - under stress - your 20 reps from the off-body car rig will not override your 10000 reps of drawing from the holster on your belt.

Keep the gun on your body and attend a training class that will teach you the proper way to fight from a seated position. It’s not hard to do once someone shows you the way.

ETA: I thought of a third reason - the first time you walk into a Stop & Rob and realize your holster is empty because the gun is in the car - because you forgot to transfer it over to your hip when you got out of the car to get a Twinkie and a coffee - you’ll never off-body carry again.

So - to sum up:

1) If you choose to get in a gunfight while seated in your car - That’s dumb.

2) If you have to bail out of the car and you leave your gun behind - That’s dumb.

3) If you react to a deadly threat and unconsciously reach for your gun at your hip/appendix (where you normally carry it) and you find an empty holster - (either due to forgetting you moved it to a new location or forgetting it altogether in the car) - That’s dumb.

So i had this nice long response typed out, but i will be the bigger man, and let you think you are correct, and know everything. I bow to your statement, bc obviously any answer that doesn't mimic yours, is wrong. 

Cheers

• Like 1
  • FacePalm 3

13 hours ago, High Exposure said:

So, if you’re in a car and you need to pull your gun, hit the gas and drive away instead.

This is why, whether I have a firearm with me or not, if coming to a stop I always leave enough room between me and the vehicle in front of me to pull out.

• Agree 4

17 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Off body carry of your CCW is dumb. It is only acceptable as a last resort, a special requirement, or an accommodation for a disability

If you are going to CCW, keep it on your person wherever it is legal and appropriate to do so.

"Off body carry of your CCW should only be used as a last resort, a special requirement, or an accommodation for a disability

If you are going to CCW, keep it on your person wherever it is legal and appropriate to do so."

See how easy it was to convey information effectively without starting a pissing contest?

Concealed carry is BRAND NEW to NJ so there are going to be a lot of questions asked.  It would be a lot more beneficial if the people here with the most knowledge provided responses that helped noobs instead of making them feel like idiots.

"The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked"

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Mike77 said:

For those with CCW, while in vehicle, do you keep it on you. Or do you use a vehicle holster, either under dash, seat. Console, etc. If so, what do you use?

10 hours ago, Mike77 said:

So i had this nice long response typed out, but i will be the bigger man, and let you think you are correct, and know everything. I bow to your statement, bc obviously any answer that doesn't mimic yours, is wrong. 

Cheers

Based upon your response, it sounds to me you weren’t really looking for advice. Why did you ask the question in the first place? 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

"Off body carry of your CCW should only be used as a last resort, a special requirement, or an accommodation for a disability

If you are going to CCW, keep it on your person wherever it is legal and appropriate to do so."

See how easy it was to convey information effectively without starting a pissing contest?

Concealed carry is BRAND NEW to NJ so there are going to be a lot of questions asked.  It would be a lot more beneficial if the people here with the most knowledge provided responses that helped noobs instead of making them feel like idiots.

"The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked"

Pissing contest? Give me a beak…

I didn’t say the OP was dumb. I said the off-body carry of a CCW was dumb. And it is.

I stand by my statement.

If I was teaching a class, I would (and have) said the exact same thing to the faces of my students.

Are we so soft skinned now that calling a particular TTP dumb is hurting feelings? C’mon now.

You and I have been here long enough to know I wasn’t attacking the OP.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Pissing contest? Give me a beak…

I didn’t say the OP was dumb. I said the off body carry of a CCW was dumb.And it is.

I stand by my statement.

If I was teaching a class, I would (and have) said the exact same thing to the faces of my students.

Are we so soft skinned now that calling a particular TTP dumb is hurting feelings? C’mon now.

You and I have been here long enough to know I wasn’t attacking the OP.

OP has barely been here 2 months and obviously asked the question because he was considering it.  That means it didn't seem 'dumb' to him.

Noobs regularly provide feedback that this place is hostile to newcomers.

This thread is an example of that.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Noobs WITH BIG EGOS regularly provide feedback that this place is hostile to newcomers.

ftfy

There was noting hostile in anyone's response in this thread.  When a noob comes on board, asks for help and gets EXPERT help, then snarkily rejects it.  Well, that's on the noob.

After reading the thread a couple times, it's apparent what the noob was actually looking for.  Places to hide a handgun in a car that are easily accessible.  That right there is a red flag.

8 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

OP has barely been here 2 months and obviously asked the question because he was considering it.  That means it didn't seem 'dumb' to him.

Noobs regularly provide feedback that this place is hostile to newcomers.

This thread is an example of that.

After reading his response to me, I realized that he wasn’t really looking for advice. What he was really looking for was validation that his idea was a good one. Well, it’s not and he didn’t like it when someone told him that what he thought was a good solution was actually a dumb one.

If I’m new at something, and ask a question of a group of people with the same interests, and someone with 20 years of experience tells me my idea is dumb, then takes the time to explain why it is dumb, I generally re-think my position and don’t accuse the person I asked advice of being a know-it-all.

But maybe i’m wrong. I don’t have all the answers.

At the end of the day, his concern of drawing a handgun while seated and the obstacles to overcome while conducting that TTP is valid. However, his solution is not preferred. 

9 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

his concern of drawing a handgun while seated and the obstacles to overcome while conducting that TTP is valid. However, his solution is not preferred. 

Maybe lead with that next time.

Keep the new people round a little longer :)

• Like 1

iiii dunno how this went south so fast. what i saw was a reasonable question asked. then i saw a reasonable VERY detailed response. don't see how anyone could get bothered or offended by that.

me personally, i will keep my pistol on my person. if it's off-body in the car, there's too many variables for that to be safe in my opinion. on my person seems the only sensible way to go.

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

After reading his response to me, I realized that he wasn’t really looking for advice. What he was really looking for was validation that his idea was a good one. Well, it’s not and he didn’t like it when someone told him that what he thought was a good solution was actually a dumb one.

I

i'm sure you've been there/done that.....but do you know how many "friends" i've lost because i didn't give the answer they wanted to hear when asked for advice or my opinion on something? more often than not, people don't want any actual advice, as you said....they just wanna hear that what they think is right/good/ok.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

Maybe lead with that next time.

Keep the new people round a little longer :)

I get what you are saying, and I’ve seen what you mean - but this ain’t that.

I have always, and will always, call dumb TTPs dumb. Otherwise, they take root and fester and suddenly these terrible ideas are widely accepted.

If that makes people feel badly, that’s on them.

Leave the ego at the log-in screen - If you’re asking a question, you clearly don’t know the answer. Maybe listening to those that do with an open mind will save everyone some time, money, and heartache.

I’ll continue to answer question and go into detail for anyone, the OP decided to be snarky and shut it down, not me.

At the end of the day, my advice is worth what you paid for it. If if you don’t know me, my background, or my demeanor, it may be worth even less than that. Everyone is free to take it or leave it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'm sure you've been there/done that.....but do you know how many "friends" i've lost because i didn't give the answer they wanted to hear when asked for advice or my opinion on something? more often than not, people don't want any actual advice, as you said....they just wanna hear that what they think is right/good/ok.

My TRUE friends know what my advice is calling it how I see it, and they accept it for that. Sometimes very bluntly. 

I see their advice the same way. And I value that from them. That’s WHY they are my friends .

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

My TRUE friends know what my advice is calling it how I see it, and they accept it for that. Sometimes very bluntly. 

I see their advice the same way. And I value that from them. That’s WHY they are my friends .

key word there. TRUE. i could cut off my thumb abd a couple fingers and still count  my true friends on that hand. and i'm fine with that. quality over quantity.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

key word there. TRUE. i could cut off my thumb abd a couple fingers and still count  my true friends on that hand. and i'm fine with that. quality over quantity.

I hear ya!  Lol

55C5E6A0-CF73-4DFC-9004-63201EEE6975.jpeg

• Haha 1

Devil's advocate here...

I gotta admit - something like this piqued my interest at first... (Stopbox Strike).  You can deploy it just by shifting your thigh!

..... but wait... ok - it goes in between your seat and your center console... And that looks like a freakin gigantic car... Looking at the gap between seat and console in my Subaru... this thing ain't fitting... and shit - my fat ass thighs would hit that motherf all the time.  

GIMMICK.

SB-Strike-7_a919f66c-08d5-42a5-a348-89ee

Strike_OMGPhoto_826__3.jpg?v=1661539697&

Items like that prey on the unknowing and the untrained. The “it’s uncomfortable” or “it’s hard to do” crowd love this stuff. They are a hardware solution for a non-existent problem that are marketed towards people that would rather throw money at a “solution” to a perceived “problem” than to seek useful knowledge based in real world experience and then work to be trained.

I‘m not saying having a pistol safe in your car is a bad idea. The opposite actually - it’s a great idea for times when you have to secure the gun in your car because you can’t carry it into wherever you are going. But those aren’t supposed to be quick access or out in plain sight. They should be hidden and solidly installed. They are a safe storage option not a holster.

• Agree 1