H2oVento

At pistol brace rules vs other firearms

After scouring the internterwebs for many minuets, I found nothing on how the new ATF rules will effect other firearms. As others are not pistols and not considered rifles. Just like to start conversations. I am not looking for legal advice 

2 hours ago, Jon K said:

I thought they were just going to make them illegal to own, so it must be removed from an other and destroyed?

No you can still own them if they fit the new " guidelines" they want to put into place. They just make shit up as they go

It depends.  The new guidelines determine if a brace is a brace or a stock.  1) If they say all braces are considered braces unless they meet the criteria in the guidelines, then it won't effect Non-NFA Others.  or 2)If they say all Braces are considered Stocks unless determined to be braces by the criteria to be stocks, then it would effect Non-NFA Others.  It sounds like it will be option 1, but no one knows for sure.  It would be a shit show if they tried option 2, but when has that stopped them.  

3 hours ago, PK90 said:

Let's face it, nobody uses a brace as a brace. It is used as a stock 99.9% of the time. Your non-NFA Firearms will become SBSs. The pistols will remain pistols but with no brace.

Why can't we just remove the stabilizer, doesn't change anything in so far as the other is suppose to be a 2 handed weapon anyway.

49 minutes ago, Jon K said:

Why can't we just remove the stabilizer, doesn't change anything in so far as the other is suppose to be a 2 handed weapon anyway.

Correct.  If they were to say that Braces are now considered Stocks for Non-NFA Others, you would just have to take them off, before the law/ruling whatever went into effect.  That way you can say it never had a stock on it.  A Non-NFA Other is still legal as long as it has a VFG, is over 26" OAL, and does not have a stock on it.    

Based on the proposed rules, anything over 26" is excluded from their points system. This means that there is no assessment of the brace and it would not be considered. 

However, the rules do mention some "others" by name I think 12g ones like the TAC 14 and braces were a no go. 

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Based on the proposed rules, anything over 26" is excluded from their points system. This means that there is no assessment of the brace and it would not be considered.

Sooooo, a pistol over 26" can have a brace?

18 hours ago, PK90 said:

Sooooo, a pistol over 26" can have a brace?

I beleive they say a pistol over 26" cannot have a brace.. which is why the 26" limit was imposed. I beleive the rule reasoned that even with a brace it would be too heavy to operate with one hand. 

My response Is about non-nfa others, which are not mentioned with respect to this limitation.