Ryan Sykes

Is this legal for a rifle build in Jersey?

Link shows 13.5” barrel. Are you building an ‘other’ firearm? 

Oops, never mind. That was the hand guard length. 

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be legal for a rifle build as long as the muzzle device is replaced with a brake or comp, and it’s pinned and welded. 

5 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

Excuse my ignorance. Why would they use a pistol length gas block on a 16” barrel? 
I thought they were usually either carbine, mid length or rifle length for AR rifles?

Wouldn't they have issues either short stroking or ejection issues?

The pistol length gas system is designed to run .300 ammo most reliably, especially subsonic offerings. These slow and heavy rounds need as much pressure in the system as possible to run reliably. You want the higher pressure of the shorter system to make sure all the moving parts move correctly (dwell). So basically, placing the gas port closer to the lower receiver allows more time for gas build up while the round travels down the bore.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

The pistol length gas system is designed to run .300 subsonic ammo. These slow and heavy rounds need as much pressure in the system as possible to run reliably. You want the higher pressure of the shorter system to make sure all the moving parts move correctly (dwell). So basically, placing the gas port closer to the lower receiver allows more time for gas build up while the round travels down the bore.

OK so specific to this round in the link.  I usually hear about .223, 5.56, 7.62 x 39 and 300 blackout.

Always learning!

1 hour ago, Ryan Sykes said:

@High Exposure can you run supersonic rounds through it too ?

I don’t have this upper, so I am not speaking from experience. I don’t know how reliable all super rounds will be, but I think you should be ok.

The Pistol length gas system is a compromise between the myriad super and sub .300 offerings to offer the best reliability across the caliber.

55 minutes ago, Ryan Sykes said:

@High Exposure if you were to use the barrel for a build for a cqc home defense scenario would you use supersonic or subsonic rounds ?

I use 5.56/.223 for all social long-gun needs.

I am not a .300 convert and am not 100% spun up on the ballistics. If I had a suppressor, I would use subs. If I didn’t, I would use supers.

On 12/24/2022 at 11:12 AM, Ryan Sykes said:

totally legal