My1stGlock

Ruger Mini 30 with Hannibal rail

I was looking for a rail upgrade for my Mini 30 and found this product which in my opinion makes it look so tacticool and actually allows me to eventually mount a red dot on my rifle!

Samson makes it for both variants. (models 2007 and older or the 2008 and newer) They also offer in black and natural gray is what i opted for. I love the way the wood and the gray works so well. It matches the original hardware quite well as you can see in the pics. The link below includes the vortex red dot but you can also get it without the red dot which was what i opted for. Comes with a QD mount and additional 2" pic rail. 

https://www.samson-mfg.com/hannibal-rail-and-vortex-red-dot-package.html

IMG_8902.jpg

IMG_8895.jpg

IMG_8894.jpg

IMG_8893.jpg

IMG_8903.jpg

• Like 1

That actually looks pretty good. You'd basically have it set up like a scout rifle.  I have a scope on mine, but my main problem with that is when you do a full strip and clean you have to remove the scope in order to get the bolt back in. Doing this might look like a good alternative to that. Though it does say that for 2007 and earlier it's only for the Mini-14 and not the Mini-30.

16 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Looks cool, but won't you be mounting the red dot too far forward?

You can get small sections of picatinney rail that mount over the ejection port as well...

Haven't tried yet. The red dot will mount forward of the ejection port and rear of the pic rails. 

I've see that but wanted to keep clear of the ejection port. Had a scope mounted and the dial/ knob looked like it was getting dinged when the the shell casings were ejecting. 

Here's the picture from their website with the vortex red dot mounted. They are not using the pic mounted red dots but rather the ones for the handguns. 

Vortex Hannibal Package_web_640x640.jpg

15 hours ago, planenut said:

That actually looks pretty good. You'd basically have it set up like a scout rifle.  I have a scope on mine, but my main problem with that is when you do a full strip and clean you have to remove the scope in order to get the bolt back in. Doing this might look like a good alternative to that. Though it does say that for 2007 and earlier it's only for the Mini-14 and not the Mini-30.

I see what you mean. The description for the 2007 and earlier barrels do not reference the Mini 30 but from what I gather the differences they point out are the pencil barrels on 2007 and older versus the flanged barrels on the 2008 and newer.  Prob best to shoot them an email and they can tell you yes or no. Here's the PDF instructions that they included but again no indication of the Mini 30 in the 2007 and older version.

Hannibal_Rail_Gen2_Instructions.pdf

15 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

I see what you mean. The description for the 2007 and earlier barrels do not reference the Mini 30 but from what I gather the differences they point out are the pencil barrels on 2007 and older versus the flanged barrels on the 2008 and newer.  Prob best to shoot them an email and they can tell you yes or no. Here's the PDF instructions that they included but again no indication of the Mini 30 in the 2007 and older version.

Hannibal_Rail_Gen2_Instructions.pdf 4.87 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the info. I don't have a Mini-30, but I do have the Mini 14 Tactical. I was kicking around the idea of a Mini-30 lately, preferably one of the ones the made in 7.62X39, I wasn't sure they if they still make that version as I know there's a 300 Blackout one that's out there. 

1 hour ago, planenut said:

Thanks for the info. I don't have a Mini-30, but I do have the Mini 14 Tactical. I was kicking around the idea of a Mini-30 lately, preferably one of the ones the made in 7.62X39, I wasn't sure they if they still make that version as I know there's a 300 Blackout one that's out there. 

I love mine just the issue of using steel cased ammo. Every 10-15 rounds I would get a light strike but follow up shot it goes off. Its a known issue all over on the forums when using steel cased. The Ruger's a prima donna lol. Looks like it prefers brass.. But that costs more to shoot obviously.

If you are looking for 300 blackout then the Mini 14 has one for that caliber. 

https://ruger.com/products/mini14TacticalRifle/specSheets/5864.html

21 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

I love mine just the issue of using steel cased ammo. Every 10-15 rounds I would get a light strike but follow up shot it goes off. Its a known issue all over on the forums when using steel cased. The Ruger's a prima donna lol. Looks like it prefers brass.. But that costs more to shoot obviously.

If you are looking for 300 blackout then the Mini 14 has one for that caliber. 

https://ruger.com/products/mini14TacticalRifle/specSheets/5864.html

I think I'd actually prefer the 7.62X39 chambered ones, I think 300 Blackout might end up being hard to get one day due to it's niche status so far. I'm curious does you rifle have the cut in the bolt to do stripper clips, like my 5.56 has?

2 hours ago, planenut said:

I think I'd actually prefer the 7.62X39 chambered ones, I think 300 Blackout might end up being hard to get one day due to it's niche status so far. I'm curious does you rifle have the cut in the bolt to do stripper clips, like my 5.56 has?

So sounds like u will be looking for a Mini 30 in the near future? Lol.

I am not familiar with that. I do see a cut on my bolt how does that work w/ stripper clips? Here's a few pics of the bolt. Is that the cut on the right of the bolt?  

IMG_8934.jpg

IMG_8935.jpg

17 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

So sounds like u will be looking for a Mini 30 in the near future? Lol.

I am not familiar with that. I do see a cut on my bolt how does that work w/ stripper clips? Here's a few pics of the bolt. Is that the cut on the right of the bolt?  

IMG_8934.jpg

IMG_8935.jpg

My bad, I made a mistake. The stripper clip option is an aftermarket add on feature. Might be a good option for NY or CA legal Mini where you may have to have a fixed magazine. Here's a link to that setup.

https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/load-your-mini-14-via-stripper-clips.358257/

On 1/1/2023 at 3:12 PM, planenut said:

My bad, I made a mistake. The stripper clip option is an aftermarket add on feature. Might be a good option for NY or CA legal Mini where you may have to have a fixed magazine. Here's a link to that setup.

https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/load-your-mini-14-via-stripper-clips.358257/

Nice option but Is that also required if the stock is not collapsible and no muzzle brake? Looks like the scope option is lost when you mount this piece.