Lawnmower2021

KelTec Sub-2000 fore-end wiggle

Hello all,

I barely shot my sub-2000 but notice that the front half has some noticeable wiggle when it's fully extended. It makes a huge difference in the sight picture, which is already awkward on this gun.

Calling KelTec, they say it's "normal" but they're willing to take a look if I send it in.

Any thoughts? Is this something I should bother with?

4 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

What do you mean by 'wiggle'?

I have several thousand rounds through mine but I've never noticed any movement that impacts performance.

I mean when it's fully extended there is some play with the barrel end. Even when locked in, I can rotate the forearm just slightly enough to displace the sights.

It's a gen 2 in 9mm. I thought it was just a side-effect of the folding design, but I see others have it rock solid once extended.

It still shoots, but I feel the need to consciously pull the forearm down all the way.

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I mean when it's fully extended there is some play with the barrel end. Even when locked in, I can rotate the forearm about 1/8" at the joint which is enough to displace the sights.

It's a gen 2 in 9mm. I thought it was just a side-effect of the folding design, but I see others have it rock solid once extended.

It still shoots, but I feel the need to consciously pull the forearm down all the way.

Just checked mine - Gen 2 9mm w/ Beretta mag insert - rock solid.  

Have you tried tightening the forend screws?  If you can rotate the front end - where is it rotating?  At the folding joint?  Mine's completely tight with no play whatsoever - can that screw be tightened?  Check the receiver frame - make sure it's not cracked.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Just checked mine - Gen 2 9mm w/ Beretta mag insert - rock solid.  

Have you tried tightening the forend screws?  If you can rotate the front end - where is it rotating?  At the folding joint?  Mine's completely tight with no play whatsoever - can that screw be tightened?  Check the receiver frame - make sure it's not cracked.

Hopefully this video attachment works.

It's been like this since I got it and didn't think much of it before. I don't see any cracks in the frame.

37 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

That looks like the latch mechanism may not be tight - is there any wiggle on the trigger guard when you do that?  

The trigger guard seems solid. It still pivots the same even if I hold the trigger guard down hard.

On 1/2/2023 at 1:13 PM, Lawnmower2021 said:

Hello all,

I barely shot my sub-2000 but notice that the front half has some noticeable wiggle when it's fully extended. It makes a huge difference in the sight picture, which is already awkward on this gun.

Calling KelTec, they say it's "normal" but they're willing to take a look if I send it in.

Any thoughts? Is this something I should bother with?

I have one of those and I must chime in that mine is also solid. Once it is locked in the open, unfolded position, it is as if it were one solid piece. You wouldn't even know that it comes apart, so tightly does it lock.

• Thanks 1