ESB

What's in your Bug Out Bag/Get Home Bag?

I went with this one. Has 30,000mAh.  I like that the cords are built in, so can't lose them and take up less space.  It also has built in wall charger which is nice for same reason.  There is a 38,00mAh version without the built in wall charger but still has the built in cables.  

It also has solar, but I seriously doubt either could be fully charged in 2 days via solar, even the one posted above.  In fact the one above says it takes 10.5s to charge when plugged in so no way it could do 2 days via solar.  It probably would be good enough to keep topped off though.  

https://amzn.to/3klWy5T

71-XoxYkBbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

53 minutes ago, ESB said:

I went with this one. Has 30,000mAh.  I like that the cords are built in, so can't lose them and take up less space.  It also has built in wall charger which is nice for same reason.  There is a 38,00mAh version without the built in wall charger but still has the built in cables.  

It also has solar, but I seriously doubt either could be fully charged in 2 days via solar, even the one posted above.  In fact the one above says it takes 10.5s to charge when plugged in so no way it could do 2 days via solar.  It probably would be good enough to keep topped off though.  

https://amzn.to/3klWy5T

That's a nice feature set.  I checked it out on Amazon.  Someone did ask how long it would take to fully charge using the built in solar panels.   The vendor responded 50 to 60 days.

I think there are really good lists here that have been posted. When I was building mine, I wanted all quality items and that would be expensive so I set off on Ebay purchases, I had to bid on everything for the most part 6 or 8 different auctions, but I have really good items that were much cheaper than cheap items are new. First item was a good weight distributing backpack. New $185.00 Ebay used in good shape $23.00 shipped. An so on. It took 4 months to get everything, but it gives you time to think about what you need.

• Like 1

Having a list of items snd having them ready to go is great but all of that is useless with out a plan and knowledge to execute.  I know many people with most of the items listed but couldn't last 5 minutes in an off grid scenario.   I do a camping trip every year by kyak down the Delaware in Feb March more or less for the solitude but it reminds me that I'd needed I can do what is needed to survive.

In all reality.  The below 10 or 12 items I could last weeks

Water or way to collect n make water safe

Fire starter

Food (or way to procure take down 22) and or shotgun and handgun fishing kit buck knife

Shelter (small pup tent)

Sleeping bag

Compass (know how to use it)

Signaling device(flare, mirror whistle)

Wool clothes (warm when wet)

First aid kit (glue and sutchers) 

10 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

what brand backpack?

you know you can sometimes get stuff like that on here too, right? i bought a pretty dam good backpack from one of our south jersey members for a great price.

Not sure.  I came free from a client.  

EDIT: https://techproducts360.com/collections/bags/products/tech-pack-16

techpackblackangledshopify_2048x.jpg?v=1582085504

On 1/7/2023 at 11:53 PM, Scorpio64 said:

Buging-in is only a viable strategy for as long as the location is safe.  You have to acknowledge that hunkering down may not be an option from the get go, or becomes unsustainable as time passes.  Obviously the nature and severity of the event informs your decision, but at some point you may have no choice.

There's bugging out, and then there's heading for the hills.  Bug out is more of a short term plan.  Your chances of surviving a disaster, calamity or riot go up exponentially if you can sustain yourself for 72 hours. Your BOB is just a little insurance that you hope you never have to use.

I plan on bugging in as well.  Major concern is fire or threat of fire though.  Some asshole throws a rock through your window and then a molitov cocktail what are you going to do after?   

50 minutes ago, ESB said:

I plan on bugging in as well.  Major concern is fire or threat of fire though.  Some asshole throws a rock through your window and then a molitov cocktail what are you going to do after?   

shoot the perp then put out the fire.

• Like 2

One big dilemma I see with bugout bags and supplies is that when you need to use them, you will want good quality stuff because your life will be on the line.  On the downside, you can spend a lot of money acquiring all that, but then will be unlikely to ever need any of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

One big dilemma I see with bugout bags and supplies is that when you need to use them, you will want good quality stuff because your life will be on the line.  On the downside, you can spend a lot of money acquiring all that, but then will be unlikely to ever need any of it. 

IMO, it's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it.

• Like 1

On the bug out vs bug in topic...

Look from the perspective of the people already there wherever you are going. If you had a stranger approach your home area who was armed, how willing would you be to have them set up camp in your back yard so close to where you have your supplies stored? Unless you're planning on surviving in the wilderness, you need to have already established a relationship with the people in the place that you go to.

Having a BOB is fine, but you need a plan and prior preparation to go with it.

• Agree 2