ESB

What's in your Bug Out Bag/Get Home Bag?

Seriously though, my bag at home is different from the one in my truck.  The truck bag's purpose is to get home.  The home bag's purpose is to get the 4 of us in the house out to our "spot."

Both have the following items:

First aid kit

Bandanna

Flashlight(s) with backup batteries

H20 filtration

Dried food

Compas

Camp knife

Multi-tool

Para chord

Mylar Survival Blanket

Plastic full-size (55 gallon) trash bag

Multiple fire sources and hand sanitizer (for starting fires in damp / wet situations)

Insect repellent

Sunscreen

Toilet paper

Small Note Pad / Pencil

Pepper spray

Duct tape

Fishing kit

Small animal snare

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 3:55 PM, Mike77 said:

Never thought about this before.....

What would you say is difference from get home / Bug Out?

Get Home Bag would be if you are stranded and need to walk home or are stuck in your car for more than a day.  Think of when 95 was shut down last year during snow storm and all those cars where stranded for more than a day without help.  Imagine you ran out of gas during that, what would you need/want in that situation?

Bug Out Bag is for when SHTF and you need to leave ASAP and get somewhere else because where you are is not safe or will not be safe soon.  

Some items/categories to consider:

Clothing/PPE

Food/Water/Fire

Shelter/Warmth

First Aid/Hygiene

Communication

Navigation

Tools

Protection

I think your Bug Out Bag would need most of what is in a Get Home Bag, but also more protection as well as more long term food/water/shelter options?  

• Agree 1

Good lists to get you started from CMJeepster and ESB.  The GHB stays in your car, while the BOB stays in your home.  In practicality, I have used the items in the GHB a great deal, while I have not ever used the BOB, and the likelihood is that I never will.

There are lots of lists and videos online about how to prepare these.  Do a quick search and you fill find plenty of info

In my opinion, the "bugging out" concept only works if you have somewhere to go and the knowledge to survive once you get there. 

I have come to the conclusion that bugging out with my family in NJ is not realistic for me. At home, I have security, warmth and supplies. 

I was once on the road all over NJ. Now I just commute 25 mile each way to work. But I still carry lotsa stuff in my car everyday.

My car stuff includes....

Water and nuts and jerky for me for several days if needed. I rotate these provisions several times a year.

2 full changes of clothes, including shoes. In winter, I carry long johns and an old coat.

The ability to sleep in my car...camp pillow, space & cuddly blankets.

The ability to make fire.

The ability to stay dry if forced to leave car... poncho & tarp & paracord.

The ability to dig and chop.

Hygiene, medicines & 1st aid kit.

A big ass backpack to carry all of this.

If my travels permit, I have a long gun and ammo in my trunk.

Once my PTC comes in, I will add a handgun to the mix.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ESB said:

Get Home Bag would be if you are stranded and need to walk home or are stuck in your car for more than a day.  Think of when 95 was shut down last year and all those cars where stranded for more than a day.  Imagine you ran out of gas during that, what would you need/want in that situation?

Bug Out Bag is for when SHTF and you need to leave ASAP and get somewhere else because where you are is not safe or will not be safe soon.  

Some items/categories to consider:

Clothing/PPE

Food/Water/Fire

Shelter/Warmth

First Aid/Hygene

Communication

Navigation

Tools

Protection

I think your Bug Out Bag would need most of what is in a Get Home Bag, but also more protection as well as more long term food/water/shelter options?  

This.

17 minutes ago, dajonga said:

In my opinion, the "bugging out" concept only works if you have somewhere to go and the knowledge to survive once you get there. 

I have come to the conclusion that bugging out with my family in NJ is not realistic for me. At home, I have security, warmth and supplies.

I'm in agreement with this.  My first plan is to stay at home.  The plan after that is to go to a relative's house.  The option after that is to move to a local predetermined location where we can hunker down and live out as long as possible.  The last option is exactly that.  Should we need to go totally off-grid, we can last a while with the basics, but that's pretty much a Mad Max scenario.

18 hours ago, Mike77 said:

Recommendations for the Bag itself?

You'll want to be able to carry it hands-free, so I'd think any weatherproof backpack would be fine.  A bigger one for the BOB.  Have some free space available in either, in case you pick up anything useful along the way.

Keep this in mind......NJ is a peninsula, surrounded by water on 3 sides.

If the shit ever really hit the fan.... Do you think PA is gonna let 7 million NJ residents across the Delaware?

Hell no. Those bridges will be blocked or blown up.

If you are in NJ during the end of times, you will not get out of NJ.

The "Bug Out" concept works if you live in Idaho or Kansas and have somewhere to go.

• Agree 1

Here is what I'm thinking for a Get Home Bag and start for a Bug Out Bag.  Thoughts?  

CLOTHING/PPE

Broken in boots or sneakers

Merino wool socks

Zip off technical hiking cargo pants

Fleece sweatshirt

Undershirt

Underwear

Military poncho

Hat

Winter Beenie

Gloves

Cotton orange bandana

Neck gator

Vented N95 mask

Sunglasses w/case

Earplugs

Hand warmers

SHELTER

Lightweight sleeping bag

SOL Escape Bivvy

Survival Cord (550 paracord with tinder juke and fishing line inside)

#36 bank line

Guyline Cord adjusters

Alum/TI tent stakes

Military poncho (can be used as a rain fly/tarp)

Large HD garbage bags (held together with ranger bands)

Gorrila Tape (wrap this around as much stuff as possible to reduce wasted space)

Sewing kit

Deck of cards

FIRE

Fast Fire Stick Tinder

Lighters (Bic and propane torch)

Ferro Rod and striker

Storm matches

WATER

2L Camelbak Bladder

Camelback Lifestraw filter

Iodine drops/tablets

Coffee filter

Stainless nesting pot/bottle/cup

Vitamin/Energy/Electrolyte water flavor packs

Instant Coffee/Cocoa

FOOD

SOS 3600cal Emergency Ration

Cliff Bars

Granola Bars

Caffeine gum

HD Aluminum Foil

FIRST AID/HYGIENE

Nitrile Gloves

SWAT-T Tourniquet

Sharpie

Emergency Trauma Dressing

Gauze

Steril Pads

Medical Tape

QuickClot Gauze

BleedStop powder

Trauma Sheers

Tweezers

Hyfin vented chest seal twin pack

Various Bandaids

Moleskin pads

Crazy Glue

Alcohol wipes

Razor blade

Space Blanket

Burn Gel

Splint

Large Safety Pins

Neosporin Pain/Itch/Bite

Butt Wipes

Hand Sanitizer (can also be used to start fire if high alcohol %)

Camp Wash

Shammy

Advil

Tylenol

Aspirin

Claritin/Allegra

Pepto-Bismol

Imodium

Tums

Vitamins

Prescriptions/Medicine

Contact lenses

Contact lens case

Contact solution

Eye drops

Sunscreen

Bug repellant

Tiny First Aid Guide

NAVIGATION

Maps

Quality compass w/ mirror

Ranger Beads

Flashlight (USB rechargeable)

Headlamp (USB rechargeable)

Tiny LED reading light

Glow Sticks/Chem Lights

Tiny Survival Guide

TOOLS/PROTECTION/HUNTING

Survival Knife

MultiTool

EDC folding knife

Pepper spray

COMMUNICATION

Baofeng 8W GMRS/FRS UHF/VHF FM 2-way radio

Directions to use Baofeng radio

Large USB Battery pack

USB charging/data cables

Headphones

Whistle

Mirror

Orange Bandana

Rainproof Notepad

Mechanical Pencils

Twin Tip Sharpie

MISC

$125 Cash (5 $20's, 5 $5's) in a money clip or ranger band

Use Kiwi Camp Dry to waterproof items that need extra waterproof protection

Basically looking for stuff that is lightweight, compact and multi-use when possible.  I'm using a regular sized backpack (not a camping backpack), so space is an issue.  

12 hours ago, ESB said:

Here is what I'm thinking for a Get Home Bag and start for a Bug Out Bag.  Thoughts?  

Use Kiwi Camp Dry to waterproof items that need extra waterproof protection

Basically looking for stuff that is lightweight, compact and multi-use when possible.  I'm using a regular sized backpack (not a camping backpack), so space is an issue.

Too much stuff that won't fit into your "regular sized backpack, IMHO.  While I'm no expert, I have spent a good deal of time in the outdoors and have many hiking miles under my belt.  To me, the greatest tool is knowledge.  You can do more with that than you can with paracord or bandanas.

• Agree 2

i don't really have a bugout bag set up. probably should, but i don't see bugging out being a viable option. unless something happens that we see coming a week or two ahead, really all that'll happen trying to bug out is that we'll leave the relative security of our home and land ourselves in the relative insecurity of a traffic jam somewhere.

that all said, i keep an emergency bag in my truck. warm socks, couple bandannas, pants, couple shirts, boony hat, foldup shovel, kabar, booboo kit, and a couple other things. even at that, the thing weighs around 18 pounds.......

11 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i don't really have a bugout bag set up. probably should, but i don't see bugging out being a viable option. unless something happens that we see coming a week or two ahead, really all that'll happen trying to bug out is that we'll leave the relative security of our home and land ourselves in the relative insecurity of a traffic jam somewhere.

that all said, i keep an emergency bag in my truck. warm socks, couple bandannas, pants, couple shirts, boony hat, foldup shovel, kabar, booboo kit, and a couple other things. even at that, the thing weighs around 18 pounds.......

I'm like you brother!  I don't have a bugout bag because I don't see a bugout option for me!  My guns, ammo and food stores needed for survival are impossible for me to move to another location!  My house has a cellar that is mostly underground and is totally defensible!  God knows I don't want to live down there...but I could if I had to!

Needless to say, my kids and grand kids would be there as well.  They hate guns and think I'm a fool for owning more than 1 or 2 guns but in that scenario, they will have to learn to shoot back!

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I'm like you brother!  I don't have a bugout bag because I don't see a bugout option for me!  My guns, ammo and food stores needed for survival are impossible for me to move to another location!  My house has a cellar that is mostly underground and is totally defensible!  God knows I don't want to live down there...but I could if I had to!

Needless to say, my kids and grand kids would be there as well.  They hate guns and think I'm a fool for owning more than 1 or 2 guns but in that scenario, they will have to learn to shoot back!

or reload

4 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I don't trust ANYONE to reload a round that I will eventually fire! I am WAY too anal about safety when it comes to my reloads!:)

i get where yer comin from....but if it's...uuummm......busy........you ain't gonna have the time to reload yer mags......

22 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i don't really have a bugout bag set up. probably should, but i don't see bugging out being a viable option.

Buging-in is only a viable strategy for as long as the location is safe.  You have to acknowledge that hunkering down may not be an option from the get go, or becomes unsustainable as time passes.  Obviously the nature and severity of the event informs your decision, but at some point you may have no choice.

There's bugging out, and then there's heading for the hills.  Bug out is more of a short term plan.  Your chances of surviving a disaster, calamity or riot go up exponentially if you can sustain yourself for 72 hours. Your BOB is just a little insurance that you hope you never have to use.

I guess they will have to learn quick!  Either that, or you and I will have have to join forces in SHTF!

If the shit really hits the fan, none of us are likely to survive alone! We need to come together and combine our resources and talents.  I don't have any like minded neighbors I can trust to team up with!  I just have lots of people who say "I know where I'm going if the SHTF" Yeah right! Think twice before you come to my house!

19 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I guess they will have to learn quick!  Either that, or you and I will have have to join forces in SHTF!

If the shit really hits the fan, none of us are likely to survive alone! We need to come together and combine our resources and talents.  I don't have any like minded neighbors I can trust to team up with!  I just have lots of people who say "I know where I'm going if the SHTF" Yeah right! Think twice before you come to my house!

oddly i am in that same situation with neighbors.

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

We may have to join forces!

might be something to talk about.......

39 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

With my family my bug-out bag would have to be an RV.  With kids/dogs it would be impossible to fit enough food/water/etc for more than a day or so in the SUV.  

remember doomsday preppers? there was an episode where the guy did indeed have a small trailer set up for bugging out with his family. if i recall, he's also the guy that shot himself in the hand or something like that.

• FacePalm 1

On 1/5/2023 at 9:12 AM, CMJeepster said:

Too much stuff that won't fit into your "regular sized backpack, IMHO.  While I'm no expert, I have spent a good deal of time in the outdoors and have many hiking miles under my belt.  To me, the greatest tool is knowledge.  You can do more with that than you can with paracord or bandanas.

So I am almost done with it.  Its a normal sized backpack with 3 zipped main compartments, large, medium and small.  Was able to get almost everything to fit.  Won't be able to fit sneakers/boots.  Total weight of the bag is 18lbs.   Most of the stuff is small, just a lot of it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ESB said:

Really like this video, goes into what you need, why you need it, and where/how you should store or organize it.  

He seems to have a solid plan, but I think it can be improved.  Most of the time there is only one person in a car, but like this guy has, there should be a contingency for family, or multiple passengers.  .  He stuffed enough gear in one bag for four people.  Well, if there is going to be at least one other person if you need additional supplies, then why not do two bags.

The first bag is the drivers bag.  It will have all of the necessities for one person, and with all the bags space for one person, he can put in more, or perhaps better options in the bag.  For instance, if he wasn't carrying 5 of everything, he could get a better bivvy and vacuum pack it.  He could have better meal options,. Instead of a tiny pepper spray, a larger can of bear spray (or both), extra socks, better FAK.  You get the idea.

Second bag would have the extras.  Extra food, water shelter, ponchos, protection,, etc.  All the stuff from his setup that he was humping for other people.

Why should everything for everyone be stuffed in one bag, no reason for it, It's guaranteed that if bag 2 is needed, there will be at least one other person there to carry bag number two.

I did like his idea about the water key.  It does not take up much space and it expands options for the most critical of supplies, water.  Then I got to thinking, if he has the multi-tool with pliers, does he really need the water key.  Still good outside the box thinking.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about getting one of these for BOB.  It holds a substantial charge.  The reviews I read say it takes about two days to fully charge from flat dead on solar, but if it's fully charged , the battery won't likely be depleted from daily use.  Solar can usually top off daily usage.  It's only thirty bucks.

615hVE5rvsL._AC_SL1350_.jpg

• Informative 1