Mike77

Where are the overweight guys at?

Carrying concealed is tailored to what is best for you. Everybody seems to preach IWB, as if that was the only way....everyone obsessed with Appendix carry. As a bigger guy, I've tried to IWB, but I do a lot of driving and sitting, and it's uncomfortable as hell, and to be honest, with my extra baggage, would be struggling to unholster. So I been using a Tolster OWB with my SW MP Shield 9plus. Almost like Im not even wearing it, but now I think I need longer shirts. I wear underarmor active tshirts a lot for work, because I break a sweat easily, and need to stay cool. Summer is worse. Im even thinking of shoulder holster for when Im in car a lot. But of course, there are so many "you cant conceal carry OWB....you NEED a IWB" people out there.....

Checking what the other big guys lean towards. As reference, Im 6'1, 285.

I'm not quite as big but I do have a paunch.  If you're going IWB you will need at least a size bigger pants.  I've gone a size up on my last pants purchases to prep for IWB.

Been wearing my G48 in a PHLSter Enigma Express holster AIWB.  I'm able to shift it up and down safely if it's digging in anywhere or uncomfortable in any way.

5’11” and 210, I carry a G19 AIWB easily. 

I was once told by a pretty smart guy on here to ‘dress around the gun’. 
If that means going up a size in pants, or wearing longer, looser shirts, so be it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

5’11” and 210, I carry a G19 AIWB easily. 

I was once told by a pretty smart guy on here to ‘dress around the gun’. 
If that means going up a size in pants, or wearing longer, looser shirts, so be it. 

Dressing around is one thing, how does one carry comfortable? Last time i tried carrying IWB with a crossbreed and xd9 4", i was so uncomfortable, sitting, etc. I drive all day and spend hrs in the car. You think a shield plus is easier? I have no issues with the clothing. Its the jabbing in my side. 

Holster recommendation? 

5 hours ago, Mike77 said:

Dressing around is one thing, how does one carry comfortable? Last time i tried carrying IWB with a crossbreed and xd9 4", i was so uncomfortable, sitting, etc. I drive all day and spend hrs in the car. You think a shield plus is easier? I have no issues with the clothing. Its the jabbing in my side. 

Holster recommendation? 

What position are you carrying at?

Try a J-Frame .38 in your pants pocket.

Uncle Mike's sells inexpensive pocket holsters that make it a breeze.

This article covers Mika's pocket holsters with a S&W Model 642:

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/mikas-pocket-holster-joy-in-your-pocket/

Carrying a gun is a system. Appropriate gear combined with appropriate clothing that complement each other. 

Gear: 

It’s starts with a quality belt designed to carry a gun.

My recommended belts are:
• Nylon - Ares Gear Aegis
• Leather - Mean Gene Aegis or Bladetech Ultimate Carry Belt

Then a quality holster in the style you intend to carry (OWB, AIWB, IWB) - $15 Amazon holsters with don’t cut it.

My recommended holsters:
• AIWB - Tenicor
• IWB - JM Custom Kydex, Comp Tac
• OWB - Safariland, JM Custom Kydex, Blade Tech

The attachment of the holster to the belt is also important. I like Discrete Carry Concept Clips whenever possible. They are strong spring steel that pull the holster and gun in tight. I do not like plastic clips at all. 

Clothing:

You have to dress around your carry style and the particular firearm you are going to carry. The clothes should be “gray” as well as weather and situation appropriate. They need to be able to conceal what you are carrying and should be easy to move to get to your gun.

Size pants accordingly if IWB or AIWB - I wear size 36 waist but buy 38 because I carry AIWB daily.

Size your tops accordingly to they hang over, but are loose enough to pull up and get to the gun on the drawstroke. 

I also like to wear a black Underarmor type shirt as a base layer. It keeps the gun off my body and has no wrinkles that would create hot spots. It also makes my black gun less noticeable than it would be against my skin or a light colored undershirt. 

This approach took me many years to get to but it works. No matter what you do, it will sometimes be uncomfortable, it will sometimes be difficult, but this method minimizes those times for me.

• Like 2

I have been carrying AIWB every day for years. There is no one single AIWB location that works for everyone. My weight fluctuates and when I am heavier I tend to shift the gun closer to the outer edge in line with the thigh/pelvic bone. I shift the holster to my hip for driving and sitting at a desk and shift the gun to AIWB when walking around. I carry everything from a P365, G19, P30SK, G26, 1911, 92X Compact, EDC X9S, etc. I also wear clothes that are one size larger like others have discussed. The only times I OWB in warmer weather are when hiking, hunting, and other outside activities. 

I do OWB in the winter quire a bit but I have found that printing is still an issue. OWB make is feel like I am wearing a brick on my side.

• Like 1