Mike77

Texas: Robber carrying fake gun.....

4 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Stupid criminal tricks. 

The CCW’r saved the taxpayers of Texas a lot of money. 

Apparently, after shooting, he took the money he took, gave back to the ppl, and left......cops still looking for him, to ask for his report on what happened.

42 minutes ago, Mike77 said:

Apparently, after shooting, he took the money he took, gave back to the ppl, and left......cops still looking for him, to ask for his report on what happened.

Yeah I heard that. I don’t think they’ve found him yet.

13 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

If you watch the full video it seems like the ccw holder could've had a few chances to stop it earlier but was messing with his holster.  

Kinda weird he just left after in my opinion.  

It looked to me like he was rummaging in his bag which was on the seat to his left for the gun, not a holster.

Maybe he left because he doesn't have US Law Shield, or an equivalent, and does not want to deal with the legal aftermath (and associated costs) of saving people from harm.

Just now, Mr.Stu said:

It looked to me like he was rummaging in his bag which was on the seat to his left for the gun, not a holster.

Maybe he left because he doesn't have US Law Shield, or an equivalent, and does not want to deal with the legal aftermath (and associated costs) of saving people from harm.

I wouldn't suggest leaving the scene after shooting someone. There's cameras everywhere nowadays. 

It's Texas, you think he'll even catch a charge? 

7 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

I wouldn't suggest leaving the scene after shooting someone. There's cameras everywhere nowadays. 

I don't suggest it either - just guessing as to why he may have decided that way.

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

It’s quite possible he will get charged. If for nothing else, leaving the scene. 

I wonder if he has prior legal trouble and fled because of that. 

Not sure the final shots were required when the robber was already down, but I wasn’t there…

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

I did find it kind of weird how nonchalant he was.  Guy took a life,  grabbed his stuff,  and left.  

I guess just shock and adrenaline?

Or like it wasn’t his first time 

The description of the whole incident with sound (but not video) is that after the citizen shot the robber, as he was apparently leaving, in the back (once, twice, maybe even three times) after he hit the floor he continued to shoot him, for a total of nine shots.

I think the citizen is going to have a problem. Even in Texas.

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

I did find it kind of weird how nonchalant he was.  Guy took a life,  grabbed his stuff,  and left.  

I guess just shock and adrenaline?

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Or like it wasn’t his first time 

Probably not shock and adrenaline.

Whilst most of us on this forum have no experience with this (thank God)  one needs to understand there are plenty of good people who can kill a bad guy then go home to play with their kids.

I've been trained by a few of them.  I'm not a Sniper, special operator or anything like that.  I've only had the benefit of being trained by the best men of my time.  In the military and as a LEO.  They might seem nonchalant about having to kill someone.  That's not the case.  They were good guys who had to kill bad guys.  Then they could home play with their kids, have dinner with their families, make love to their wife and it doesn't bother them they killed a bad guy a few hours before.

These guys who are true gunfighters are not nuts.  They knew what had to be done and did it for the benefit of our society.

All of them said it was more a matter.of mindset than shooting skills when they trained snipers.

These are the people Winston Churchill was talking about when he said,

"We sleep safely at night because rough men are ready to visit violence on those that would harm us".

Not sure if this guy fits in that category.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

The description of the whole incident with sound (but not video) is that after the citizen shot the robber, as he was apparently leaving, in the back (once, twice, maybe even three times) after he hit the floor he continued to shoot him, for a total of nine shots.

Now I can't tell from the video (but it looks bad for the shooter) but I always taught to shoot until the threat is neutralized.  Just because a bad guy is down doesn't mean he still isn't a threat.

I have questions about those last few shots.  No problem shooting him in the back when he did.

Someone mentioned the shooter didn't give him a "drop the gun" command.  In what was in the video the shooter may have been dead if he did this.  Shooting a bad guy in the back is not universally the wrong thing to do.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Now I can't tell from the video (but it looks bad for the shooter) but I always taught to shoot until the threat is neutralized.  Just because a bad guy is down doesn't mean he still isn't a threat.

I have questions about those last few shots.  No problem shooting him in the back when he did.

Someone mentioned the shooter didn't give him a "drop the gun" command.  In what was in the video the shooter may have been dead if he did this.  Shooting a bad guy in the back is not universally the wrong thing to do.

Right. I agree with your sentiment. Even on the way out the door, a shooter could decide to turn and deliver a few parting shots. So IMO when the shooter is on his feet and mobile, he's a threat; take him out.

If the entire video later shows the shooter immobile on the floor (with or without the 'gun' in his hand?) and the citizen puts some more rounds into him, I think that will be the legal problem for him.

So as you suggested, shooting until the threat is neutralized is justified. After the threat is neutralized more shooting is no longer justified. I suppose a jury may eventually decide that question.

Note: Here's an update.

Good guy with a gun shoots robber as he holds up customers in Houston restaurant – HotAir

Edited by 45Doll
Note added.
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, 45Doll said:

The full video is out there. 

He shoots him while he is down, which is fine as he was still holding the fake gun and was still potentially a hazard to life and limb. The problem is that when the defender picked up the fake gun, he shot the perp again. To me he looks kind of startled when that happens. I'm guessing he kept his finger on the trigger and jacked up on adrenalin and panic, when he was executing fine motor skills to pick up the perps fake gun, he squeezed the trigger and blammo. 

At that point he could be fucked and likely knows it. Hence the rapid departure. 

15 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

Good thing they pixelated the firearms in the video, it's just way too scary to see that.  :facepalm:

There's a bunch of new youtube bullshit going on with monitization, so the youtubers are being very cautious. 

In this video it shows him taking a drink at the end and dumping it on the guy at the end too. 

Even more bizarre behavior in my opinion.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox26houston.com/news/houston-robbery-suspect-shot-to-death-by-customer-taqueria-gessner.amp

@raz-0 Thanks for that link.

IMO the 'customer' is going to have a problem. I count at least five shots after the shooter is down and obviously out (IMO). Especially the last one, which I agree looks like a ND, and the previous three at close range apparently to the head.

26 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

@raz-0 Thanks for that link.

IMO the 'customer' is going to have a problem. I count at least five shots after the shooter is down and obviously out (IMO). Especially the last one, which I agree looks like a ND, and the previous three at close range apparently to the head.

I don't totally disagree with you, but from a defensible standpoint, one could argue he didn't see the gun go flying and thought he was still a threat. But you can't argue the shot/nd as he had the fake gun in hand at that point. 

21 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Not saying I disagree, but you don't say that in court. 

I found a source where I got to see most of the video, including all the shots, no pixelation.  I'd like to see the entire video, starting with the criminal entering the taco place and the return of money.

In my opinion, about the only thing the self defense guy is on the hook for is abuse of a corpse.  Criminal dude was not in any position to be buying green bananas.

I also read a few libtard posts on Twitter.  People were saying he murdered the guy because he shot criminal dude in the back.  He was on his way out, just there for the money, etc etc...  Bull shit.  As far as everyone knew, criminal dude was carrying a hot gat, and as long as that condition exists, ANYTHING could happen.

Criminal dude was a threat right up to the very end, even if his back was turned.  Nobody can say with any certainty if he was actually leaving.

• Agree 1