leo-польд

One in chamber and ten in mag?

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

My habits are the opposite. Once the gun is holstered up on my belt it stays there until I have to take it off (such as going to pick my kid up from school) or I go to bed.

The more a gun is handled, the greater the chance of a mishap. There is a reason police locker rooms have a loading/unloading station equipped with a bullet trap.

Original Slugmaster Clearing Station

When I do take my gun off, it stays loaded and goes directly into a quick access safe in my home.

Carrying with an empty chamber is not common. In a few jurisdictions it is required by law (e.g. Israel) but since Col. Jeff Cooper had a few ideas it is not the preferred practice. Equally, prior to WW2, standing sideways and extending your pistol one handed was the 'proper' way to engage your adversary - that is not a preferred practice any more, either. 

T5BXJ1p.gif

When I took the class for the UT/FL permits, the instructor recommended loading/unloading with the muzzle pointed squarely at a doorjamb (on the side opposite the light switch).   That puts several 2x4s downrange of the muzzle.

NOT as good a solution as the unloading station or bucket of sand already suggested here, but it's something.

Why all this loading and unloading?

At the end of the day, I take my holster off with the gun still in it and I stick it in the safe as a package.

Before I leave the house, I take the holstered gun out of the safe and stick it on my belt.

There is no administrative handling of the firearm at all.

If I do have to unload/load for some reason (usually for cleaning/maintenance or dry-fire), I use an inside corner where the walls meet the floor as my safe direction. Also, that round does not get reloaded. It goes to the “range” ammo can for my next shooting session and a fresh round of carry ammo is unboxed and loaded.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

No quality firearm will go off in your holster.

I'd stay away from Glocks with 3 lb triggers for a carry gun, 1911s with the grip safety pinned and a few other guns.  If you're carrying for SD you need a round in the chamber in a semiautomatic.  If you don't feel comfortable with that learn to shoot a revolver.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:44 AM, Mr.Stu said:

The more a gun is handled, the greater the chance of a mishap.

Something I was wondering, along the lines of this constant holster/unholster for the sensitive areas. What happens If you're carrying one in the pipe and 10 in the mag with a striker fired pistol. You have to rack it to load that +1 in the chamber, so the striker (or internal hammer) is cocked.

If by chance, doing the holstering/unhostering in your trunk, you accidentally drop the pistol, what's the chance that round in the chamber can fire with the impact, when it hits the ground?

45 minutes ago, BigGuns said:

If by chance, doing the holstering/unhostering in your trunk, you accidentally drop the pistol, what's the chance that round in the chamber can fire with the impact, when it hits the ground?

Impossible with a properly designed handgun.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BigGuns said:

When it hits the ground? Practically none. There was an issue with early Sig P320 pistols for which Sig has implemented a fix, but just about every reputable manufacturer includes safety features such as firing pin/striker safety blocks to prevent any discharges if the gun is dropped. Older designs, such as a pre series 80 1911 does not have a firing pin block, but does have a safety notch on the hammer in case the sear is tripped which will catch the hammer before it strikes the firing pin. Old style single action revolvers would be carried with an empty chamber under the lowered hammer so there was no round there to be fired if it was dropped on the hammer.

If you instinctively attempt to catch the falling pistol, you are much more likely to inadvertently activate the trigger and make it fire, than would be the case if it just hit the ground. Any reputable instructor will tell you to let the gun fall, clear the area in front of the muzzle as far as the situation allows, then pick it back up.

• Agree 2