silverado427

Auto mechanics Customer states ...

I will share one from yesterday, Lady calls up and said her car is leaking oil. We changed the oil 7 days ago. She noticed the leak 6 days after we changed the oil. " I KNOW YOU CAUSED IT TO LEAK"  now your taking up my whole day. She made it sound like she lived so far away. A whole 7 miles from the dealer. She comes down put car on lift. Bone dry, no leaks, not even a drop of spilled oil. She was so mad that nothing was wrong with her car. She was the pure deff of a Karen. God help the world is going to hell in a hand basket.  

• FacePalm 3

There are definitely Karens out there but there are a number of unscrupulous mechanics too that unfortuntely created the reputation.  I secretly marked my tires to ensure my tires were rotated and then the tech why I was charged  when the tires were not rotated.  He was not even the owner of the place and had no financial gain to avoid the rotation other than pure laziness/incompetence/deceitfulness…

Place was Rt 33 Nissan Hamilton Sq, NJ

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

@1LtCAP probably has a million of these stories.

worst one i ever had was a subaru that the belt skipped off. this was about 5 years ago.

lady said she started her car, heard a LOUD noise, then lost power steering. towed it in. we popped the hood to see what made the belt pop off. it was a cat. i had trouble calling her about that one....but when i got it out, she said......i WONDERED where he's been!!  i'm like yea......he was under your hood.

had a kid delivering pizza for dominos. in a vw cabriolet. brought the car in for brake pull. go it up in the air. driver side front brake rotor was gone. not ground down. removed. as was the caliper. he had a bolt stuck in the hose with a few hose clamps holding it. he declined that repair.

shop owner across the street had a chevy astro. opened the hood, and nearly had a heart attack. cat jumped out at him. then they found that cats kittens. they each adopted one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i forgot about the many "it only just started making noise this morning" tales. the ones where the rotor was so worn, and the caliper so far over-extended that the disc surface was seized between what was left of the pads, and had broken off of the hat portion of the rotor.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

Confession: when I was 17 no one ever taught me maintance on a car. Apparently my car was leaking oil. Engine seized about 2 months into having it. 

Now I check oil every 2 weeks at the gas station. 

Its not just oil leaks you have to worry about,  Some vehicles consume oil.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Confession: when I was 17 no one ever taught me maintance on a car. Apparently my car was leaking oil. Engine seized about 2 months into having it. 

Now I check oil every 2 weeks at the gas station. 

17 year old is kind of understandable.  You are brand new to driving and auto care.   These are mostly older people who should have some real world common sense and experience with auto care and maintenance.  

I get it.  Some people don't want to or can't turn a wrench.  But they should know obvious things.  Grinding metal on metal noises are not good!  You have to change the oil periodically.  I kid you not, I knew a guy who was PROUD that he had NEVER changed his oil on an old Toyota.  He just didn't care.  He got the car for dirt cheap.  Figured if if / when it seized up he would buy something else cheap.  Smoke shouldn't be coming under the hood (or anywhere else)!

There are SO many "how to vidoes" on Youtube now.  Even if you don't want to turn a wrench yourself, you can research that strange noise.  And if it's something that looks simple, invest in some tools and try giving it a go yourself.  Maybe find someone who is a car person who is willing to walk you throught things? 

There are some car people who LOVE sharing their knowledge.  A lot like gun owners.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:01 PM, Bellasdaddy said:

There are definitely Karens out there but there are a number of unscrupulous mechanics too that unfortuntely created the reputation.

This is true! I've always said there is a trifecta of trusted professionals that I like to have in my life - someone who knows the law, someone who knows medicine, and someone who knows cars! Fortunately for me, I have all three, including a WONDERFUL auto mechanic who is as honest as the day is long, reasonably priced, expert at diagnostics... and just a sweetheart of a guy. As good as he is, I realize I have to do MY part too... keeping an eye on the mileage, getting it in for regular oil changes, listening/reporting any new sounds, etc.  I was really terrible about car maintenance in my late teens/early 20's... I probably could have been in this video :icon_redface:... but you do get older and wiser!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/14/2023 at 7:22 PM, silverado427 said:

Its not just oil leaks you have to worry about,  Some vehicles consume oil.

most 4 cylinder turbos with anything over about 25k miles suck oil into the engine. too much car, too little engine.

gm tries to say that if driven hard, it's normal for their 5.3 liter to consume about 1 quart every 1k miles.........

6 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

most 4 cylinder turbos with anything over about 25k miles suck oil into the engine. too much car, too little engine.

gm tries to say that if driven hard, it's normal for their 5.3 liter to consume about 1 quart every 1k miles.........

1qt every 1000 miles of oil use is industry standard. Unless your subraru they say 1qt in 1100 miles

20 hours ago, H2oVento said:

1qt every 1000 miles of oil use is industry standard. Unless your subraru they say 1qt in 1100 miles

By that standard my wife's crv would be bone dry for many miles before an oil change.. but it has the "relatively" same amount when doing an oil change. Old oil goes into the oil containers so I know how much is lost. No much, maybe half a qt in 6k

47 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

By that standard my wife's crv would be bone dry for many miles before an oil change.. but it has the "relatively" same amount when doing an oil change. Old oil goes into the oil containers so I know how much is lost. No much, maybe half a qt in 6k

That is why it said in your owners manual to check oil every time you get gas. No one takes the time to read it 

just had a customer came in. haven't seen this guy since before the panic. he claims no one's worked on his car since i did the last time. this with me looking at someone elses oil change reminder decal on his windshield. and that decal showing him 2k over due.

wanted me to check oil(2 qts low), and tranny fluid. not even registering on the dipstick. i didn't top that for him cause i didn't have the right fluid.

then he lifts up the plastic that goes between the grille and radiator support to show me it's missing all of its pins, telling me that i left them out. when i haven't seen this car in about 3 years. he goes......you replaced the waterpump, remember? i pointed to the pump, and told him that this piece doesn't need to be removed. and if i did remove it, any pins in it went back. i suggest you check with the last place that worked on it. he weren't happy.

he leaves, then pulls back in 2 minutes later. points to his traction control light. says....that wasn't on when i pulled in. i told him that's fine, i can check it next week. he said he though i did something to bring it lit. i'm like...really? i poured oil into your engine. there is virtually no way i could've brough that light lit.

i don't like this guy. and didn't like him when he was coming in before the panic.

• FacePalm 1

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

just had a customer came in. haven't seen this guy since before the panic. he claims no one's worked on his car since i did the last time. this with me looking at someone elses oil change reminder decal on his windshield. and that decal showing him 2k over due.

wanted me to check oil(2 qts low), and tranny fluid. not even registering on the dipstick. i didn't top that for him cause i didn't have the right fluid.

then he lifts up the plastic that goes between the grille and radiator support to show me it's missing all of its pins, telling me that i left them out. when i haven't seen this car in about 3 years. he goes......you replaced the waterpump, remember? i pointed to the pump, and told him that this piece doesn't need to be removed. and if i did remove it, any pins in it went back. i suggest you check with the last place that worked on it. he weren't happy.

he leaves, then pulls back in 2 minutes later. points to his traction control light. says....that wasn't on when i pulled in. i told him that's fine, i can check it next week. he said he though i did something to bring it lit. i'm like...really? i poured oil into your engine. there is virtually no way i could've brough that light lit.

i don't like this guy. and didn't like him when he was coming in before the panic.

Welcome to the Ever Since club