Lawnmower2021

ATF finalizes rules for Stabilizing Braces

23 minutes ago, PK90 said:

I'm not sure about optics. I would say that that doesn't matter, because you can still cheek weld the extension.

ATF "suggests" changing the CAR extension to a pistol extension.

Yeah, they mention optics in the Shot Show ATF panel (IIRC), saying you couldn't use it without shouldering the weapon. And they brought up changing to a pistol extension-is that because the pistol ext will not accept a stock or brace?

12 minutes ago, ESB said:

Only optics that have eye relief would get you in trouble.  Ie magnified optics (even an LVPO).  Red  Dot type optics should be OK.  

Oh okay, makes sense. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, leahcim said:

Yeah, they mention optics in the Shot Show ATF panel (IIRC), saying you couldn't use it without shouldering the weapon. And they brought changing to a pistol extension-is that because the pistol ext will not accept a stock or brace?

Oh okay, makes sense. Thanks!

Actual, it does. The original Sig braces, the Gearheads, and the SR Tactical SOB or Mini all slide on the round extension.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ESB said:

Anything on the end that has as surface area could make it into an SBR.  For now, just remove the brace and don't put anything on it.  

120 days means - not for now. Don't rush or jump on anything yet, others are not pistols nor rifles. I am sure it will be some judge stopping this shit before that time is tomorrow.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, leo-польд said:

120 days means - not for now. Don't rush or jump on anything yet, others are not pistols nor rifles. I am sure it will be some judge stopping this shit before that time is tomorrow.

Only issue with not removing the brace before the rule gets published is that your Other then technically becomes a rifle permanently because it has a stock on it.  Ie. your "brace" has just transformed into a "stock" when the rule gets published.  An Other can never have had a "stock" on it to still be considered an Other.    I'm generalizing but you get the idea.  

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, ESB said:

Only issue with not removing the brace before the rule gets published is that your Other then technically becomes a rifle permanently because it has a stock on it.  Ie. your "brace" has just transformed into a "stock" when the rule gets published.  An Other can never have had a "stock" on it to still be considered an Other.    I'm generalizing but you get the idea.  

What if you just swap out the short barrel on an other to a 16" - common sense would be that as long as the stock & muzzle device are pinned it's now a rifle subject to the same qualifying criteria to be legal as a regular AR would, although "common sense" never really applies when the ATF is involved.

3 hours ago, Redipski said:

What if you just swap out the short barrel on an other to a 16" - common sense would be that as long as the stock & muzzle device are pinned it's now a rifle subject to the same qualifying criteria to be legal as a regular AR would, although "common sense" never really applies when the ATF is involved.

Don't forget to pin the brace-that-is-magically-a-stock and any muzzle device if you turn it into a non-SBR rifle in NJ.

24 minutes ago, FunGun said:

Let’s say this becomes law.  About how much  will it cost to have a longer barrel and whatever else it would take to make it compliant?  I’m new to the gun world so I have no idea.  I just know I spent about $1400 on this gun…

Depends on what you want. I am figuring on about $500-$600 all in (BBL, gas block, gas tube, muzzle brake/comp, hand guard, stock).

• Agree 1

At the very least, wait until this thing is "published in the federal register." No need to rush yet.

I, too, spent about that much on my other. I'm not looking forward to paying $300-600 just to make the ATF happy, but it is what it is. I wish I shot it more.

• Agree 1

Also having a Troy, I just got a 16" barrel from Windham Weaponry on sale for under $100 shipped (muzzle device included, is 9mm/blowback, so no need for gas block/tube & already have a stock I can use) Yes, spending more $$ on an already pricey gun sucks, but whats the alternative? $200 registration? Don't think so. Turning in a $1400 firearm with no compensation? No way that's happening. On difference is now I'll have a PCC, no big deal.

• Informative 1

8 hours ago, Redipski said:

Also having a Troy, I just got a 16" barrel from Windham Weaponry on sale for under $100 shipped (muzzle device included, is 9mm/blowback, so no need for gas block/tube & already have a stock I can use) Yes, spending more $$ on an already pricey gun sucks, but whats the alternative? $200 registration? Don't think so. Turning in a $1400 firearm with no compensation? No way that's happening. On difference is now I'll have a PCC, no big deal.

ATF says they're waiving the $200 fee on this, one time deal.  I think the bigger problem is NJ probably doesn't allow it as an SBR.

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, leahcim said:

ATF says they're waiving the $200 fee on this, one time deal.  I think the bigger problem is NJ probably doesn't allow it as an SBR.

This will be the issue for NJ ‘other’ owners..the reclassification of your ‘other’ as an SBR. The state does not currently allow NFA stuff. 

By the end of the week my "other" will be legal 16" AR15. I can't deal with this bullshit. Every other day these A-holes are coming up with ways to screw over the law abiding gun owner while the "mutts" are running around committing crimes with illegal guns. What was the last gun law that prevented gun violence?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ficus said:

You forgot the obvious one. Don’t do a damn thing. Screw the AFT

which is all well and fine till ya have a "karen" shooting in the next lane, notices your brace, and makes a phone call......

1 hour ago, FDHog said:

By the end of the week my "other" will be legal 16" AR15. I can't deal with this bullshit. Every other day these A-holes are coming up with ways to screw over the law abiding gun owner while the "mutts" are running around committing crimes with illegal guns. What was the last gun law that prevented gun violence?

i'll take none for 100 alex.......

2 hours ago, leahcim said:

i think you're right.

but there's been several videos of reputable gun channels talking about the trap that's in this bill if one goes to register them.......

2 hours ago, leahcim said:

Even if they did, the assault weapons ban would still apply as if it were a full-length rifle, right?

So that adjustable "brace" and flash hider are suddenly a big problem.

14 hours ago, leahcim said:

It's not about the $200, it more about being pushed into registering with a tyrannical agency. Same as being forced to take a untested vaccine because someone with an agenda says you should. F that.

13 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

This will be the issue for NJ ‘other’ owners..the reclassification of your ‘other’ as an SBR. The state does not currently allow NFA stuff. 

ever wonder why no one fought this?

States have no problem over riding federal laws (ie: recreational marijuana), too bad this state is shit

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

which is all well and fine till ya have a "karen" shooting in the next lane, notices your brace, and makes a phone call......

i'll take none for 100 alex.......

i think you're right.

but there's been several videos of reputable gun channels talking about the trap that's in this bill if one goes to register them.......

Yeah, I watched one of the videos about this as an ATF trap-something about your application not approved within 88 days, then it is automatically denied.  Then you become a felon, you've provided written and signed evidence, and they know where you live.

And OBTW, don't expect one ATF agent to show up with a friendly knock on your door, that door is coming down with a battering ram and a team of agents surrounding your home.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, leahcim said:

Yeah, I watched one of the videos about this as an ATF trap-something about your application not approved within 88 days, then it is automatically denied.  Then you become a felon, you've provided written and signed evidence, and they know where you live.

This is absolutely the first thing that came to mind for me. It already takes time as is to approve NFA items. There's nothing preventing them from sitting on it until you're out of compliance.

This is also happening with yet another resurrection of the federal AWB. What's an assault weapon this time? Preview: the Monterey Park shooter used an "assault pistol."