Lawnmower2021

ATF finalizes rules for Stabilizing Braces

34 minutes ago, tuktuk said:

How much time do we have left ? 
and do we have a consensus on what to do with “other” ? 

I believe we have until May 31st (Jan 31 + 120 days).

At this point, there is no other option than to become compliant. Even if this gets struck down, it will likely take longer than the time we have left.

For an AR-style "other", your quickest option is to just take off the brace and run a bare buffer tube. You may see some products and schemes in this thread to have something shoulder-able that is still compliant, but I personally am not willing to be the guinea pig.

Otherwise, you can always convert it to a full rifle with a compliant barrel and stock. But once a rifle, always a rifle. I'm just going to take off my brace for now.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

.... once a rifle, always a rifle....

Nope. It can go back to the previous classification.

The proper term is "first a rifle, always a rifle".

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ESB said:

I read that the foam tips that are popular on the end of the AR pistol buffer tubes are legal.  Anyone know where you can get them or the correct term for them so I can search for them?  

Nobody really makes any for Carbine buffer tubes.  The ones you see are usually for pistol buffer tubes.

Well, I'd be amazed if it was free, so in any event what was legally purchased now is not. They use to grandfather things, no more, $20 magazines were bad enough, now it's $1400 rifles. Retroactive laws, not for safety, but to penalize gun owners.

• Agree 1

On 4/11/2023 at 12:40 AM, Krdshrk said:

Nobody really makes any for Carbine buffer tubes.  The foam tips you see are usually for pistol buffer tubes.

If they are foam they should be able to be made to work with carbine tubes.  Any idea where to get pistol tube foam tips?  Or what search terms I should use?  

23 minutes ago, ESB said:

If they are foam they should be able to be made to work with carbine tubes.  Any idea where to get pistol tube foam tips?  Or what search terms I should use?  

https://phase5wsi.com/ar15-6-inch-foam-pad-cover.html

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

21 hours ago, ESB said:

Probably not, foam of this nature could maybe stretch over the adjustment rails, but my guess is it will probably tear with use. 

On 4/18/2023 at 8:45 PM, Krdshrk said:

Will that work over a 5-7 position receiver extension tube? That's what firearms come with. It only fits up to 1.25" diameter. If not a pistol receiver extension will be needed. 

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Will that work over a 5-7 position receiver extension tube? That's what firearms come with. It only fits up to 1.25" diameter. If not a pistol receiver extension will be needed. 

I don't think so.  let's let @ESB be the guinea pig :)

46 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

So, honest question. Is this an SBR?

antique-german-broomhandle-pistol-made-2

Yes except for the fact it is specifically exempted by name if it is in fact an 1895 mauser. I mean heck, the beretta neos carbine kit included a letter from the ATF explaining how to not make it an SBR. And that took years of legal back and forth to make happen. 

• Informative 1

i still don't understand how the atf....or the epa in regards to pollution control.......has any authority to make rules(laws in disguise apparently). i thought that anything that was gonna have the power of law had to go through congress(or did i miss that part while sleeping in class?).

if this is the case, then any/all  laws rules made by them(or any of these alphabet agencies) are illegal, and need to be rescinded(is that the right word?) immediately.