Tackleberry 03

Training for Carry classes

Need a little input or maybe pointing in the right direction. I tried shooting the carry class at my range. And was unable to pass the class. I am having issues shooting past 20 yards keeping enough rounds on target. I am shooting with a  red dot. But not sure if I have too much finger in the trigger or anticipating recoil. I am from south Jersey anyone have someone that’s a good trainer? 

Dry fire pays dividends. Buy some snap caps and practice keeping a proper sight picture while pulling the trigger to the rear of the gun. 

I always read trigger placement isn't as important as it's preached. Depending on the size of your hand, fingers etc it all changes. Your goal is to pull the trigger to the rear while keeping proper sight picture. 

A common mistake is shooting low left if you're a righty.  That has to do more with tightening your hand rather then where your trigger finger is. A solid grip from your support hand can help. 

I'm sure someone will chime in with places in south jersey for classes, I'm just not familiar with it. 

1 minute ago, Cheflife15 said:

Dry fire pays dividends. Buy some snap caps and practice keeping a proper sight picture while pulling the trigger to the rear of the gun. 

I always read trigger placement isn't as important as it's preached. Depending on the size of your hand, fingers etc it all changes. Your goal is to pull the trigger to the rear while keeping proper sight picture. 

A common mistake is shooting low left if you're a righty.  That has to do more with tightening your hand rather then where your trigger finger is. A solid grip from your support hand can help. 

I'm sure someone will chime in with places in south jersey for classes, I'm just not familiar with it. 

I am right handed. And I am shooting low and left . 

35 minutes ago, Tackleberry 03 said:

Need a little input or maybe pointing in the right direction. I tried shooting the carry class at my range. And was unable to pass the class. I am having issues shooting past 20 yards keeping enough rounds on target. I am shooting with a  red dot. But not sure if I have too much finger in the trigger or anticipating recoil. I am from south Jersey anyone have someone that’s a good trainer? 

I doubt the amount of finger on the trigger is the root cause of not keeping shots on paper at 20 yards, but unfortunately it will be VERY difficult for someone online to effectively diagnose your issues and provide meaningful guidance without actually watching you shoot.

Generally speaking if you have a strong support hand grip and you're focusing on your front sight through the entire shot you should be able to keep things on paper, but there are too many variables to tell you what to work on.

ANY reputable range should offer beginner classes or even privates for you.  If you've been shooting on your own for a few years already (and if you're teachable) then one or two lessons should be all you need.

1 minute ago, 124gr9mm said:

I doubt the amount of finger on the trigger is the root cause of not keeping shots on paper at 20 yards, but unfortunately it will be VERY difficult for someone online to effectively diagnose your issues and provide meaningful guidance without actually watching you shoot.

Generally speaking if you have a strong support hand grip and you're focusing on your front sight through the entire shot you should be able to keep things on paper, but there are too many variables to tell you what to work on.

ANY reputable range should offer beginner classes or even privates for you.  If you've been shooting on your own for a few years already (and if you're teachable) then one or two lessons should be all you need.

I get that about helping me online. I was just looking for some help with a range or person that can help me out in person 

57 minutes ago, Tackleberry 03 said:

19 minutes ago, Tackleberry 03 said:

low....you're possibly antici                                                          pating(sorry...couldn't resist) the recoil, and (again, possibly) tightening your grip with your support hand. ooorrrr.......and i know others have said that finger placement isn't as important as most think.....but i think it is. when i first started shooting, i was putting my finger too deep into the trigger. you want the middle of your fingerprint(i think they call it the pad?) on the trigger.

concentrate on 7 to 15 yards first for now. get those down pat, and the longer distances will follow. a seemingly tiny irrelevant mistake at 7 yards turns into a much larger mistake at 25 yards.

back to support hand. when i'm shooting with both hands, my left hand(i shoot left handed) is holding the gun, and pressing the trigger. my right hand is gripping the front of the grip, and pressing it back into my left hand. it always feels to me as if my support hand is doing more work than my strong hand. but it works.

you said you're using a red dot......it is zero'd, correct?  even with it zero'd, you're gonna see that dot moving. kind like the pin sight on a bow. that's normal. you just gotta relax, let it go, and breathe.

where in south jersey? bobs little sport shop has some good instructors(one of them worked wonders with my mother back around 2015). also, freedom ammunition(the old hagues) down near deptford. i've never trained there, but i've bought there, and i really like the guys there too.

almost forgot. stance. how are you standing? are you in a good  stance? i personally am normally somewhere between Isosceles  and weaver stances.

https://www.police1.com/police-products/firearms/training/articles/the-3-shooting-stances-which-ones-right-for-you-LA3iowVFZFC9hE24/#Weaver Stance

lastly, i can try to put you in touch with a couple trainers i've been taking advanced training with too if you like.

i wish i could offer more/better advice. out of everything above, i think the most important is to get to the point that you're drilling a single hole in the target at 7 yards, then move it out gradually.

10 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

low....you're possibly antici                                                          pating(sorry...couldn't resist) the recoil, and (again, possibly) tightening your grip with your support hand. ooorrrr.......and i know others have said that finger placement isn't as important as most think.....but i think it is. when i first started shooting, i was putting my finger too deep into the trigger. you want the middle of your fingerprint(i think they call it the pad?) on the trigger.

concentrate on 7 to 15 yards first for now. get those down pat, and the longer distances will follow. a seemingly tiny irrelevant mistake at 7 yards turns into a much larger mistake at 25 yards.

back to support hand. when i'm shooting with both hands, my left hand(i shoot left handed) is holding the gun, and pressing the trigger. my right hand is gripping the front of the grip, and pressing it back into my left hand. it always feels to me as if my support hand is doing more work than my strong hand. but it works.

you said you're using a red dot......it is zero'd, correct?  even with it zero'd, you're gonna see that dot moving. kind like the pin sight on a bow. that's normal. you just gotta relax, let it go, and breathe.

where in south jersey? bobs little sport shop has some good instructors(one of them worked wonders with my mother back around 2015). also, freedom ammunition(the old hagues) down near deptford. i've never trained there, but i've bought there, and i really like the guys there too.

almost forgot. stance. how are you standing? are you in a good  stance? i personally am normally somewhere between Isosceles  and weaver stances.

https://www.police1.com/police-products/firearms/training/articles/the-3-shooting-stances-which-ones-right-for-you-LA3iowVFZFC9hE24/#Weaver Stance

lastly, i can try to put you in touch with a couple trainers i've been taking advanced training with too if you like.

i wish i could offer more/better advice. out of everything above, i think the most important is to get to the point that you're drilling a single hole in the target at 7 yards, then move it out gradually.

I feel like an unfolded lawn chair. With the different ways I am standing and holding. I am tried a few private lessons but I feel they just rushed me for a money grab. I am just looking for someone to say hey try this or that. 

10 hours ago, Tackleberry 03 said:

I have the same problem, 25 years shooting and still have it come back if I don't shoot for a wile. You're most likely anticipating the recoil. if you load several mags with a couple dummy rounds/ snap caps. you will see your flinch when you pull the trigger. It's an instinct reaction you will not have dry firing

On 1/16/2023 at 9:38 PM, Tackleberry 03 said:

On 1/16/2023 at 9:45 PM, BigGuns said:

Might be a simple question, is the Red Dot sighted in?

On 1/16/2023 at 9:47 PM, Tackleberry 03 said:

Yes spot on 

This doesn’t compute…. If you are spot on, you wouldn’t be hitting low/left.

How are you confirming you are spot on?

How did you zero your dot and at what distance?

Are you shooting low/left with iron sights as well?

Low/left is the standard “miss” for right handed shooters.

I suggest you take a beginner level class with a reputable instructor. It is impossible to diagnose shooting issues like this via the internet. 

• Agree 2

It took me a while to figure out how to shoot straight. I was shooting for about a year before I did. It was actually @Mr.Stu and @Zeke that I shot with that helped.

Find experienced shooters and take their advice. Shooting low left is the standard anticipating recoil and tightening your grip before pulling the trigger. 

Unload the gun, dry fire, and watch your red dot. It will give you feed back right before it is fired.