maintenanceguy

Your favorite "just hit the target" handgun

I own about a dozen handguns.  I've got some big and stupid ones like the Taurus Judge, some silly tiny ones like the NAA 22S.   I have several .22s - both revolvers and semi autos.  I have a couple of carry guns in .380 that I like.  I have a few others that serve different purposes.  What I don't own is a gun that's just really good at just hitting a target.    I qualified for my ccw (still waiting) with a subcompact .380, so I can hit a target with a gun that isn't an ideal target gun but I want a gun that's easy to shoot, gets me back on target quickly, and is a dedicated target gun.

I'm finally old enough that I don't feel any need to impress anyone with my superior fire power so .380 is enough for me but 9mm is fine too.

I want full size but not especially large. I have a Beretta 92FS.  I really love that gun but it's a bit too big for my hands.  If it came in a single stack to get the grip width down a little, it would be exactly the gun I'm looking for.

So...what's your favorite full size, easy to shoot, nothing fancy, always hits the target handgun?

• Like 1

If you want something for just slow fire precision, you could look at a target pistol in .22LR. I used to have a S&W model 41 that was a joy to shoot and very, very accurate.

Of the guns I have now, the easiest to shoot fast and accurately is a 1911 in 9mm. I installed an EGW ignition kit and the trigger is now great.

I'm getting into USPSA (having shot IDPA for over a decade) so my next gun will probably be dedicated to production division there. The top contenders are both from CZ - a Shadow 2 or if I get a bit more spendy, a TS2. The DWX also looks interesting.

If you want a revolver, the most accurate one I have is a S&W 625. It is chambered in 45ACP and is a tack driver.

I think too much is put into "a gun that fits my hand". I know a LE firearms instructor who's trained 1000s of new LEOs, most of which never shot a gun before.  He believed, as I do, you can learn to shoot a gun well that has a grip like a 2x4 if you work at it.

Keep in mind, many LEOs are required to carry what their agency says they can carry. For me it was a double stack 9mm for over 20 years.  The agency eventually came up with a single stack option.  When I retired there was exactly one agent out of a couple of hundred who opted for the single stack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

I think too much is put into "a gun that fits my hand". I know a LE firearms instructor who's trained 1000s of new LEOs, most of which never shot a gun before.  He believed, as I do, you can learn to shoot a gun well that has a grip like a 2x4 if you work at it.

Keep in mind, many LEOs are required to carry what their agency says they can carry. For me it was a double stack 9mm for over 20 years.  The agency eventually came up with a single stack option.  When I retired there was exactly one agent out of a couple of hundred who opted for the single stack.

I think you may be right, but there is a case to support getting the right gun for your hand size.

Can you adapt? Sure. Is it the best solution? Probably not.

I have a friend who has particularly small hands. They are so small that with a double stack Glock, she cannot get any part of her trigger finger on the trigger if the tang is properly positioned in the web of her thumb. She overcomes it by rotating the gun so the tang is supported by her thumb just short of the knuckle. She can shoot accurately like this, but it beats up her thumb and does her arthritis no good at all. She also has a 1911 with slim grips and a short trigger, and she still has to use this technique, albeit to a lesser degree. She loves her single stack Glock because she can hold it correctly and it doesn't beat her up. A gun that doesn't hurt you, gets used for practice more.

As with all things, there is a trade off. LEO are not limited to 10 rounds so capacity is not artificially limited. Who wouldn't want a gun with a higher capacity as a fighting tool?

I compete regularly and I have seen first hand how an ill fitting gun reduces a competitor's performance. Simple things more getting a consistent grip on the draw is easier with a well fitted gun. One guy shoots a Glock pretty well. He's been shooting one for years. Switching to a CZ P-10 improved his performance just by getting the gun in the right place in his hand more easily.

9 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

If you want something for just slow fire precision, you could look at a target pistol in .22LR. I used to have a S&W model 41 that was a joy to shoot and very, very accurate.

Of the guns I have now, the easiest to shoot fast and accurately is a 1911 in 9mm. I installed an EGW ignition kit and the trigger is now great.

I'm getting into USPSA (having shot IDPA for over a decade) so my next gun will probably be dedicated to production division there. The top contenders are both from CZ - a Shadow 2 or if I get a bit more spendy, a TS2. The DWX also looks interesting.

If you want a revolver, the most accurate one I have is a S&W 625. It is chambered in 45ACP and is a tack driver.

I don't think that DWX is approved for production division. It would be stuck in limited as the rules are now. I have one sitting at Monmouth Arms now, should pick it up tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

I want a gun that's easy to shoot, gets me back on target quickly, and is a dedicated target gun.

Is this going to be a concealed carry gun?

I'm not sure I know what a "dedicated target gun": would primarily be used for.

4 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Is this going to be a concealed carry gun?

I'm not sure I know what a "dedicated target gun": would primarily be used for.

A dedicated target gun is used for just that - target shooting. That means, no it won't be a carry gun.

As a result, there are different criteria for choosing the gun. Weight is going to tend towards heavier to mitigate recoil whereas a carry gun would tend towards lighter so it isn't such a burden to carry it around all day. Other things that would be considered differently could be the sights (fixed vs. adjustable vs. optics), accuracy (carry guns don't usually need to be able to shoot the whiskers off a gnat at 25 yards), physical size, caliber, magazine capacity, legality in different competition rules, etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

I want full size but not especially large. I have a Beretta 92FS.  I really love that gun but it's a bit too big for my hands.  If it came in a single stack to get the grip width down a little, it would be exactly the gun I'm looking for.

If you can, put your hands on a Browning HiPower and take a few shots. It's double stack 9mm but smaller in the grip than the 92.

CZ 75B in 9mm for semi-auto or my Ruger GP100 in 357 Magnum with 4 inch barrel.

The 357 is very well rounded.  You can shot very light recoiling 38s with it.  Teach newbies to shot with it.  And every now and then load it up with some powerful 357 rounds to have a little "extra" fun!

The CZ 75Bs are known of being tact drivers and having a good "hand feel" for many people.  

Neither are expensive (as guns go) nor are they anything "special" to look at.  They just work for me.  If I'm not hitting the target with those two, it's me and not the gun.  Either of the above should get you back on target pretty quickly.  The CZs have a lower bore axis due to the way their slide runs which helps mitigate muzzle rise.  Plenty of Youtuve videos expaine it better than I can.  The GP100 is nice and heavy and the barrel will hardly move shooting 38s through it.

One of my friends has a Buckmark 22 (the Hunter I think).  That thing was VERY accurate.  I cut a business card  in half after only like 5 shots with only the edges of the card facing me.  I still don't know why I haven't bought one of those!

If I am understanding the requirements correctly, it sounds like you're looking for something to bring to the range and shoot little tiny groups on paper. 

I'll second the Model 41 as arguably one of the most accurate handguns currently made.

For something in 9mm, take a look at a Sig P210. I don't have one, but they do have a cult-like following for accuracy and build quality.

Of course, those tiny groups would depend on your own skill in shooting iron sighted handguns. If end result is the only thing that matters, then just plop a red-dot on just about any single-action gun and you should be golden.