leo-польд

Carry any gun you own, any comments on this?

If you live in Ocean County and have handguns listed on an order or on your permit, "Judge Ryan is looking into this issue regarding your permit and permits obtained by others." I emailed his law clerk asking if he could rescind the court order from the original assignment judge in light of the bill the governor signed into law last December. This same judge has been rescinding the sensitive places order so he probably will do the right thing. Maybe if the court receives enough requests it may speed things up.

Jessica M. Layton, Esq.
Law Clerk to the Honorable Guy P. Ryan, P.J.Cr.
Superior Court of New Jersey, Ocean Vicinage
120 Hooper Avenue, Courtroom 12
Toms River, N.J. 08754
Tel: 732-504-0700, Ext. 64239
E-mail: [email protected]

• Informative 1

On 1/18/2023 at 10:22 AM, Mike77 said:

Im wrong? Fee free to educate me then? Show me where 2C:58-4 Permits to carry handguns, changed. Ill wait. 

If your permit is subject to a court order or restrictions and those restrictions say you are restricted to X, Y, and Z guns.  Those restrictions supersede the code. 

If you applied for your CCW with X, Y, and Z guns but your CCW permit does not have restrictions or court order limiting you to X, Y, and Z guns then any gun you own you can carry.  In this case, you probably would not get in trouble if you were pulled over with a different gun that you owned than the ones you qualified with, you probably wouldn't get in trouble. 

But if you use a different gun than you qualified with in a lethal force incident, you can bet the DA is going to use that against you.  

I submitted my application on August 2nd 2022 in Burlington County - if was finally approved January 10, 2023, so a little shy of 6 months.  I tried to follow up on the process the entire way with multiple phone calls to local PD, court, prosecuter, etc.

- was told my application was lost - finally found around day 63 after submission and multiple phone calls to court.

-  application was denied.  Local PD did not follow up on fingerprints, references.  I only found this out after talking to prosecuter's office.

- went to PD.  " sorry, we weren't sure what to do but will proceed with reference checks and fingerprints.  This conversation took place in early November, 2022.

Finally approve with permit on January 10 2023.  The actual court order granting the permit lists the make, model, caliber, and serial number of the gun I qualified with.  It says nothing about carrying other firearms I own.  It also states in the court order that I must have with me a copy of the court order and the permit itself when I am carrying said firearm.  This is a 3 page document which certainly won't fit in my wallet - maybe in my pants after after folding multiple times.

Nothing is easy or easily understood in this state.

On 1/25/2023 at 7:40 PM, ESB said:

If your permit is subject to a court order or restrictions and those restrictions say you are restricted to X, Y, and Z guns.  Those restrictions supersede the code. 

If you applied for your CCW with X, Y, and Z guns but your CCW permit does not have restrictions or court order limiting you to X, Y, and Z guns then any gun you own you can carry.  In this case, you probably would not get in trouble if you were pulled over with a different gun that you owned than the ones you qualified with, you probably wouldn't get in trouble. 

But if you use a different gun than you qualified with in a lethal force incident, you can bet the DA is going to use that against you.  

My permit has restrictions “none” checked and a list of handguns I qualified with. So the PO looking at the permit should think . . .

The original court order has the sensitive places which I had rescinded by a subsequent court order. However the original still has the handguns listed with some wording saying I can carry these. So a prosecutor looking at the permit and court order should think . . .

I know what I think but it’s anyones guess what PD, prosecutor or grand jury would think.