Vdep217

Gun free businesses

1 hour ago, Vdep217 said:

Thought I'd start this to see what businesses are posting no fire arm signs since the ag is publicly pushing bars and restaurants that they can restrict guns

I haven't seen any, but I swore, i thought I heard/read somewhere, that signs aren't laws, and you can still carry, but if someone asks you to leave, you have to.

3 hours ago, Vdep217 said:

The only one I seen is wall mart asking not to openly carry

Resized_20230115_202911_195940382641500.jpeg

that's not gun free though. they're not asking anyone not to bring a gun in...just keep it outta sight. which of course i will, as i am sure everyone here will do too......

2 hours ago, Ficus said:

So far the only place I’ve seen with a sign was Sam Ashe music in cherry hill. 

Ok or not ok to carry? Not that I'd ever want to step foot in a Sam Ash again! :) 

I was at Bridgewater Mall the other day and looked for a sign but there was nothing obvious. So then I noticed a small posting of conduct rules on the side of the vestibule with very small font that said no firearms. Seems like there needs to be a "conspicuous" aspect to these notices, which I believe is the case in many other states.

Also, I was at Quakerbridge Mall last weekend and entered through JCP and didn't see a sign there or at the border to actual mall entrance. Haven't gone through a non-anchor entrance in a while but I have seen on other malls where anchor stores don't post and the main mall does, which begs the question about plausible deniability.

33 minutes ago, Xtors said:

Seems like there needs to be a "conspicuous" aspect to these notices, which I believe is the case in many other states.

Our ‘no carry’ signs have to be of a certain size and verbiage , or they are not legal to prohibit carry.

Letters must be block, at least 1”, posted conspicuously, and particular verbiage must be used. If it doesn’t meet the criteria, the signs don’t matter, and prohibition is invalid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xtors said:

Ok or not ok to carry? Not that I'd ever want to step foot in a Sam Ash again! :) 

I was at Bridgewater Mall the other day and looked for a sign but there was nothing obvious. So then I noticed a small posting of conduct rules on the side of the vestibule with very small font that said no firearms. Seems like there needs to be a "conspicuous" aspect to these notices, which I believe is the case in many other states.

Also, I was at Quakerbridge Mall last weekend and entered through JCP and didn't see a sign there or at the border to actual mall entrance. Haven't gone through a non-anchor entrance in a while but I have seen on other malls where anchor stores don't post and the main mall does, which begs the question about plausible deniability.

big question is whether or not these signs will carry weight of law?

57 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

big question is whether or not these signs will carry weight of law?

Im trying to find what i read months ago, that stated store signs are suggestions, not law....that you can still carry, but if asked to leave, you have to.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:21 AM, Xtors said:

The East side entrance by the Auntie Anne's on the first floor has no gun signs.

1 minute ago, CMJeepster said:

The East side entrance by the Auntie Anne's on the first floor has no gun signs.

This is exactly what I mean. Inconsistent and in my mind, questionably enforceable.

6 minutes ago, Xtors said:

This is exactly what I mean. Inconsistent and in my mind, questionably enforceable.

If the security cams have you entering through a door with no signage it would certainly be harder to bring a successful enforcement action. 

4 hours ago, Alpha Kilo said:

Americas Best (eye glasses store) in Millville has a "Firearms Prohibited" sign on their door right by the handle to open the door.

When I go by that way, I will make it a point to stop by and tell them I was going to buy a pair of glasses today, but due to that sign....Oh well!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

When I go by that way, I will make it a point to stop by and tell them I was going to buy a pair of glasses today, but due to that sign....Oh well!

We should do that EVERYWHERE there's an anti-store. 

Remind them of THEIR LOSS.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Alpha Kilo said:

Americas Best (eye glasses store) in Millville has a "Firearms Prohibited" sign on their door right by the handle to open the door.

Thanks for calling this out.   I'm tracking all gun-free businesses (other than those already prohibited by statute) in the top post of this thread:  https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105615-list-of-nj-businesses-posting-no-guns-signs/

Best to keep all of these postings in that thread, and I'll move them all to the top post there for easy access.  I've listed this there, though I suppose it's arguable if America's Best is already covered by the prohibition against carrying in health care or diagnostic centers.

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

i've got cards. stop by the shop when ya can. i'll give ya a few.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Alpha Kilo said:

I think you could easily argue you that you could not see the sign. After all, you were going into an eyeglasses store to get glasses because you don't see too good. So how could you be expected to be able to read that sign?

• Haha 3

Moorestown Mall, Burlington County.  There is a small sign at each mall entrance where, listed under "Prohibited" it is states no firearms.  I left the mall through Boscov's Department store.  In double checking all of the entrances/exits, Boscov's is NOT posted.

So you can shop at Boscov's but stay out of the mall if you're carrying.