Vdep217

Gun free businesses

2 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

Moorestown Mall, Burlington County.  There is a small sign at each mall entrance where, listed under "Prohibited" it is states no firearms.  I left the mall through Boscov's Department store.  In double checking all of the entrances/exits, Boscov's is NOT posted.

So you can shop at Boscov's but stay out of the mall if you're carrying.

Moved to the top post of this thread:  https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105615-list-of-nj-businesses-posting-no-guns-signs/

I'm trying to keep all of the gun-free zones listed in a single thread.

Only slightly off topic, my wife and I are down in south Florida, where I have entered a couple of stores which had "No Firearms" signs posted.  Unlike NJ, where ignoring them would be a felony, in Florida those signs have no force of law, according to what I have read (and I sure hope I got that right).  Of course, carrying well concealed, it was not even an issue.

4 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Only slightly off topic, my wife and I are down in south Florida, where I have entered a couple of stores which had "No Firearms" signs posted.  Unlike NJ, where ignoring them would be a felony, in Florida those signs have no force of law, according to what I have read (and I sure hope I got that right).  Of course, carrying well concealed, it was not even an issue.

Are you sure about what you said regarding NJ? My understanding from talking with Evan Nappen was that (at least for inadvertent violations of said signs) you could be asked to leave and if you didn't comply you could get trespassed. No felony. And there's no way they could prove you did it intentionally. Now, if you keep going back in violation of a trespass order then that's something different. Also, for the record, I am not talking about locations that are prohibited directly in the law.

There was some recent discussion here about the signs, saying in effect that they also don't carry the weight of law because the law doesn't specifically cover this. The law says you have to post a sign saying firearms are ok but that got put on hold, which is interesting but regardless I will still respect the no-go signs until there's more legal clarity.

Admittedly, I made some assumptions here. First was that I thought I had heard that No Firearms signs had the force of law in NJ. And second, my understanding (per Nappen) that every firearms offense in NJ is a felony. Perhaps others could chime in here.  I would be happy to hear I have this wrong.