Displaced Texan

SCOTUS is fast tracking 5 gun bills…

Just stared watching this….

SCOTUS is holding 2nd Circuit’s feet to the fire and forcing them to expedite 5 cases related to NY anti carry laws. 

I really hope that Thomas and Alito wind up getting ahold of this..

• Like 3
  • Informative 3

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Just stared watching this….

SCOTUS is holding 2nd Circuit’s feet to the fire and forcing them to expedite 5 cases related to NY anti carry laws. 

I really hope that Thomas and Alito wind up getting ahold of this..

1 hour ago, Xtors said:

Just came here to post this! Good video.

same. watching it now.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this is going to be good news in the 2nd circuit. When you are willing to abuse the legal system to get away with as much as you can, you don't accept "you're screwed" and give up. You drag it out. You bundle things up like this to try something novel and shitty to see how much you can get away with before being told you can't do that again. I suspect they are also hoping that some of it wills tick because SCOTUS will make good on not wanting to review every single case of the lower courts.

But I could be wrong. 

41 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this is going to be good news in the 2nd circuit. When you are willing to abuse the legal system to get away with as much as you can, you don't accept "you're screwed" and give up. You drag it out. You bundle things up like this to try something novel and shitty to see how much you can get away with before being told you can't do that again. I suspect they are also hoping that some of it wills tick because SCOTUS will make good on not wanting to review every single case of the lower courts.

But I could be wrong. 

Maybe. Maybe not. I think Thomas and Alito would love for this to come to them. Based on Bruen, they would shred this, and add kill bullshit laws like this nationwide. 

3 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

I'm thinking that none of the "Anti" states are going to want to appeal to SCOTUS if things don't go their way in the circuits.  So if we get "Pro-2A" decisions in the circuit courts, that will likely be the end of the line for the anti states.

That’s what I’m thinking. For example, a favorable ruling for us in 2nd Circuit would at least stay in the 2nd Circuit’s district, it wouldn’t spread to others..

Kind of like the 5th circuits overturn of the bump stock ban. Due to that, bump stocks are not prohibited in Texas. 

10 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Maybe. Maybe not. I think Thomas and Alito would love for this to come to them. Based on Bruen, they would shred this, and add kill bullshit laws like this nationwide. 

Maybe, but outside of Thomas, I don't know that there's the will to review every gun related statute out there. 

8 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

I'm thinking that none of the "Anti" states are going to want to appeal to SCOTUS if things don't go their way in the circuits.  So if we get "Pro-2A" decisions in the circuit courts, that will likely be the end of the line for the anti states.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. At least for TROs and PIs, there's nothing to lose and fill up the docket and make angry noises about the shadow docket to gin up pretense for threatening them with court packing and such. 

For actual litigation though, they risk getting Bruen++ at worst, and nationwide binding precedent at a minimum. Which SOP is to ask the circuit states to fall on their sword and take one for the team. 

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

For actual litigation though, they risk getting Bruen++ at worst, and nationwide binding precedent at a minimum. Which SOP is to ask the circuit states to fall on their sword and take one for the team. 

I think NY will wind up falling upon its sword so that SCOTUS doesn’t give Bruen+++

40 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I think NY will wind up falling upon its sword so that SCOTUS doesn’t give Bruen+++

The problem with that is NY is the one who does the asking. Both historically and from NY's perspective of the national power dynamic. Fundamentally they believe it is all about the whims of CA and NY, period. NY being worse from a political and judicial perspective. That's why they are always trying to make an end run around FTC and SEC behavior. CA pushes media influence and EPA/FDA end runs. 

• Agree 1