ESB

How do you CC with a tucked in button down shirt?

Some IWB holster use specifically designed j-hooks to wear a shirt over them. Crossbreed is one of those, and it works "just OK", but is completely dependent on your build and the fitment of your clothes.

H.E.'s recommendation is better.

I do know of several LEOs that swear by ankle holster for BUG sized guns, but I just can't...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, RichP said:

Some IWB holster use specifically designed j-hooks to wear a shirt over them. Crossbreed is one of those, and it works "just OK", but is completely dependent on your build and the fitment of your clothes.

H.E.'s recommendation is better.

I do know of several LEOs that swear by ankle holster for BUG sized guns, but I just can't...

I’ll ankle carry my Kahr PM9 or J frame if I have to. But I do not prefer it.

Pocket carry can also be an option here.

But I find it best to wear the jacket, even knowing I can’t take it off.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mike77 said:

Get a Tuckable IWB Holster

They sound great until you actually try and use one. Clothes get all bunched, they print, you get hot spots from the tucked in shirt, they never fit the way you want, and after an hour you look like a bag of wrenches in your fucked up, wrinkled, tucked in shirt.

• Like 1

Spoke to VERTX at Sig Premier Media day in Vegas.  They have a new line of Concealed Carry button down shirts that I think are excellent.  The top buttons are standard buttons, but the bottom ones are actually snaps.  Paired with an underlayer you're not going to print or bunch up and it's much better for draw.  

https://vertx.com/guardian-stretch-ls

I hope to get a couple soon to test out.

dsc00359.jpg?quality=85&bg-color=255,255

vtx1442_lsguardianstretchshirt_midnightp

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Spoke to VERTX at Sig Premier Media day in Vegas.  They have a new line of Concealed Carry button down shirts that I think are excellent.  The top buttons are standard buttons, but the bottom ones are actually snaps.  Paired with an underlayer you're not going to print or bunch up and it's much better for draw.  

https://vertx.com/guardian-stretch-ls

I hope to get a couple soon to test out.

dsc00359.jpg?quality=85&bg-color=255,255

vtx1442_lsguardianstretchshirt_midnightp

Really interesting idea.  I think I'd prefer magnets instead though.  I can tear open magnets easier than snaps. 

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

Really interesting idea.  I think I'd prefer magnets instead though.  I can tear open magnets easier than snaps. 

The problem with magnets is that if your shirt bunches up or shifts improperly you'll get magnets sticking to each other and causing weird ride ups or possible issues.  Also they could stick to the gun as well (a much more likely case).  

If you want to see how fast someone can draw with a shirt covering their pistol watch the short You Tube video,

https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=miami+vice+jim+zubiena

BTW, the followup video about Zubiena is good to watch.  He went from hands up, draw, and fire 3 rds in 1.3 seconds although he admits is was with blanks.

I grant you his shirt was unbuttoned on the bottom.  However, I don't think most people could react as fast as he drew and shot.  At best they would have shot.one another.

Zubiena was an IPSC competitor and firearms consultant for "Miami Vice".  They used him for the role of the hit man in this episode.  When asked by the director why he cleared the pistol and locked the slide back before he placed it on the guy's chest. Zubiena responded,  "I never put down a weapon unless it's unloaded and clear".  That was good enough for the director.

Several other considerations if you use an ankle holster.  The only place to wear it is inside your weak side ankle.  You need to wear pants that allow you to easily pull the cuff up with your weak hand.  No tapered legs.  I've tried other guns but anything bigger than a J frame, biggest a G26 is cumbersome.  The only way to draw from an ankle holster, taking cover is the first thing you should do with any holster, is go into a kneeling position on your strong side,  pull up your pants leg with your weak hand and draw starting your shooting from the kneeling position if required.  If you don't have to shoot yet get to your feet.

I've seen people do all kinds of dancing around trying to draw from an ankle holster.  The method I described is the safest and most efficient IMO.

I used to make agents who wore an ankle holster use them during qualifications.  A few couldn't do it because and complained.  I told them don't wear an ankle holster.

Ankle holsters have their place.  Very convenient to draw from sitting in a car.  Not a place for your main battery unless that's your only choice.

• Informative 1