Ray Ray

AR pics, lets see'um!

FINALLY got my hands on a Ruger AR556. Immediately put the magpul hand guard on it. Got a SIG optic coming for it, then I'll have to take some sexy pics. I got my eyes on a Troy next, just gritting my teeth spending more money right now. Can never have too many guns though, am I right?

20200617_203839.jpg

DSCN4174.JPG

33 minutes ago, Ryu said:

My first AR "other" build.  Anderson Upper with PSA lower.  

Does the MBUS need a lot of work zeroing?

What brace is that?  Also that barrel and rail seem really really long...  What length are they?

Zeroing an AR isn't too bad.  Adjusting the rear sight is easy.  Front sight uses a standard AR front sight adjustment tool but if you really need to, a pair of needle nosed pliers will work (wrap 'em with tape so they don't mar the finish).

I just finished an "other" as well.  Optic is being swapped out but it shot flawlessly.

image0.jpg

9 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

What brace is that?  Also that barrel and rail seem really really long...  What length are they?

Zeroing an AR isn't too bad.  Adjusting the rear sight is easy.  Front sight uses a standard AR front sight adjustment tool but if you really need to, a pair of needle nosed pliers will work (wrap 'em with tape so they don't mar the finish).

I just finished an "other" as well.  Optic is being swapped out but it shot flawlessly.

image0.jpg

You built that yourself? Very nice. I've been looking at possibly building for the first time but I am a little unclear about what happens when you buy a lower? Obviously that is the part that is registered but when you buy a lower do you have to state what the classification of the gun will be? Pistol, Rifle, or other firearm?

12 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

image0.jpg

Its a Strike Industries Pistol Brace that fits over a standard pistol buffer tube.  The barrel is a 16 inch 5.56, but I gather it still qualifies (for now) as an "other" with pistol brace and vfg and is way over 26" OAL.  

As far as zeroing, I'm gonna try to bench rest and zero close like 50 feet first then gradually increase the distance.  Beginner shooter don't think I can hit that far yet.  

That's a pretty dope build.  Did u have everything custom cerakoted?

2 minutes ago, Spawne32 said:

You built that yourself? Very nice. I've been looking at possibly building for the first time but I am a little unclear about what happens when you buy a lower? Obviously that is the part that is registered but when you buy a lower do you have to state what the classification of the gun will be? Pistol, Rifle, or other firearm?

If you purchase a stripped lower from a FFL, it is transferred to you on the ATF 4473 as "other".  

image.png.c59519bd9a30af8dc949b02679950e7d.png

6 minutes ago, Spawne32 said:

My FFL automatically put mine down as an "Other."  I suppose you might have to tell other FFLs to do the same.  

2 minutes ago, Ryu said:

Its a Strike Industries Pistol Brace that fits over a standard pistol buffer tube.  The barrel is a 16 inch 5.56, but I gather it still qualifies (for now) as an "other" with pistol brace and vfg and is way over 26" OAL.  

As far as zeroing, I'm gonna try to bench rest and zero close like 50 feet first then gradually increase the distance.  Beginner shooter don't think I can hit that far yet.  

That's a pretty dope build.  Did u have everything custom cerakoted?

Ah ok.  Note - with the new stuff going on with the ATF - a hard brace like that may not qualify as a "brace" anymore... That stuff just came out in the past couple of days.  You may need to swap it out for a soft brace like the SBA3 I have on mine, or a SBA4 - that type of brace.

For Zeroing an AR - you can zero at 25 yards or 50 yards.  That's the way it works with the ballistics - either a 25/300 yard zero, or a 50/200 yard zero.  This is from the height of the sights over the bore of the gun, and the 5.56 bullet ballistics.  I personally go for a 50/200.  Do a quick google of it to see how to zero at that distance.

All of that furniture is Timber Creek Outdoors furniture - they have several different colors - both anodized and cerakoted.  Mine is anodized Emerald Green (a distributor only color).

2 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Ah ok.  Note - with the new stuff going on with the ATF - a hard brace like that may not qualify as a "brace" anymore... That stuff just came out in the past couple of days.  You may need to swap it out for a soft brace like the SBA3 I have on mine, or a SBA4 - that type of brace.

For Zeroing an AR - you can zero at 25 yards or 50 yards.  That's the way it works with the ballistics - either a 25/300 yard zero, or a 50/200 yard zero.  This is from the height of the sights over the bore of the gun, and the 5.56 bullet ballistics.  I personally go for a 50/200.  Do a quick google of it to see how to zero at that distance.

All of that furniture is Timber Creek Outdoors furniture - they have several different colors - both anodized and cerakoted.  Mine is anodized Emerald Green (a distributor only color).

The brace is actually more like a shark fin.  Not quite easy to shoulder and is really more like a brace.  I thought the question is now towards the SBA/SBM type pistol braces that are substantial enough to be shoulder.  

Will give this a shot.  Gonna head to the range tomorrow and mess with it.

I’m almost done with an SPR build. I think I just need some offset MBUS sights and a nicer bolt catch, and I’m gtg. I had a spare SSA in there when I shot it a few weeks ago, but now I have an SSA-E in there instead. It was a bunch of fun to ring steel and hit pop up targets at 300 yards. :D If only my range went further. Ah well.

364059E9-0E06-43FE-BF97-F7BF65BC30FB.thumb.jpeg.939ea5ca6db0712e6f5dd36d6aff48fa.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Diddersen said:

Used my new lower to build a 9mm carbine. Waiting for the 3D printer to finish the mag well adapter. And have to get some sights. 

C145C5FE-212D-45F3-BBD9-84A1F9397D57.jpeg

nice.  is that the double star fixed stock?