Ray Ray

AR pics, lets see'um!

Regrets on my first build:

1) the Mako grip color does not match better with Magpul FDE. I love the grip shape and feel but the color bothers me.

2) Wish I knew more about free float rail sizes and barrel nut nuances? I ordered a complete upper and wanted a "non-quad" rail, but I would have liked it more streamlined.. like the Midwest Industries says there is only 1.5 inches in diameter. that's way thinner than mine.

3) I will probably wind up lengthening the fixed stock.

4) back to free floats.. when I finally got mine I was sort of bummed how monolithic the size of them was vs how they looked in other pictures.. (or at least mine). I wanted something to break up the color.. right now I have ladder covers screwed directly onto the handguard, yes kind of retarded they are there with no pic rails, I like the look, but definitely not normal. I may paint the rails

still need a sling. I'm debating about where the attachment points should go.

+1 on the magpul rvg. Light, short, well designed. I put mine pretty far out on my middy hg's.

I'll echo what they said about the ladders and rear sight as well. My rear sight is on the last rail slot.

You can always just go with a black grip.

Are you going to be using QD sling attachments?

If so look at this

http://www.laruetactical.com/fortis-rail-attachment-point-rap

You can attach it to the top rail and not have to add extra sections. I used to use the integral socket on my str stock but in the STRONG side. Gives you a little more slack to perform transitions without strangling yourself.

What length barrel is that?

thanks for all the info.    1) I really don't mind the AFG, it feels right for me.   but yes, I need to play around with the length on it.. I had it way close to the receiver at first.. I want to slide it down another set of screws..   I only have 75 rounds down it so far.    2) I thought I had the rear sight back very far.. if I had it back farther I would worry about the CH getting interfered with. (however I have an extended latch and I'm practicing yanking the latch with single LEFT hand so really the sight should never be in the way.  3).  the ladder rails are just there for looks now, I'm not concerned they add bulk to what I had already said was a fat handguard to begin with.  As I'm practicing on it right now my hand never really comes off the AFG.   the ladders are really there for looks (for now at least, I know I sound girlie talking about the looks, but its new, ya know).

I have not run the red dot I just got it on the Black Friday.  I put it on and put the pictures up.

its 16" midlenghth, Spikes lower with color logo, its a delton barrel, the trigger is Stag Arms and feels amazing to me there is just one micro of a take-up "click" and then its just crisp BOOM on next pull.   I have a BCM charge handle.   The free float is a "guntec".   like I said I ordered the barrel with a free float and wasn't knowledgeable to be more specific on that.   The comp is a Levang and I love the sound of it.   (yes I know not tactical but this is just my first toy).

IMG_20131221_155416.jpg

IMG_20131221_155532.jpg

IMG_20131221_160311.jpg

Just finished my first build, which my buddy from the forum MarkWVU02 guided me through.  Thanks to all of you I was able to do my homework and had no surprises in putting this together.  I read, read some more, took my time and purchased tools/parts when they went on sale, Black Friday, etc.  The end result is the bottom rifle in the above pics (the top belongs to MarkWVU02)  As soon as the brake is pinned and welded , I’ll be hitting the range to put down as many rounds as I can before my finger falls off.

Big thanks to everyone here, I couldn’t have made the decisions or the balls to tackle this build without you.

Spike’s Stripped Blem(?) Lower

Spike’s Stripped Upper

Spike’s Standard Phosphate BCG

Spike’s Trigger Guard

Midwest PX LPT with ACT Trigger

Midwest 15rd Pinned Magpul FDE Magazine

KNS Trigger Pins

Magpul BAD Lever

Battle Arms Takedown Pins

Noveske QD End Plate

Spike’s Milspec Buffer Tube, Spring & T2 Buffer

BCM Standard 16” Mid Length Barrel, 1:7

BCM Gunfighter Mod4 Charging Handle

Yankee Hill Machine Picatinny Railed Gas Block

Magpul FDE Furniture

Midwest Industries ERS Flip Down FDE Iron Sights

PWS556 Muzzle Brake (not shown)

I mentioned these two guns in another thread. Here they are. The top gun is all BCM. The bottom gun is a BCM upper on a Spikes lower.

Top Photo:

BCM Upper w/ BCM BCG, 14.5" BFH barrel, LaRue handguard, pinned BattleComp 1.5, Aimpoint T1 and 3x magnifier, both in LaRue mounts. MagPul back up sights.

BCM Lower w/ Geissele SD3G trigger, Magpul MIAD grip and CTR stock (pinned). Tango Down sling mount. Battle Arms Development BAD-CASS-ST-SA ambi selector. Fifteen round mag from Midwest PX.

BCMI.jpg

Second Photo:

BCM Upper with BCM BCG, 14.5" Lightweight BFH barrel, PRI carbon fiber handguard, pinned BattleComp 1.5, Trijicon ACOG, MagPul back up sights. BCM stubby vertical grip, Surefire FURY in a Gear Sector mount.

Spikes lower w/ Geissele SD3G trigger, Magpul MIAD grip and CTR stock (pinned). Tango Down sling mount. Battle Arms Development BAD-CASS-ST-SA ambi selector. Fifteen round mag from Midwest PX.

BCMII.jpg

IMG_20131221_155416.jpg

IMG_20131221_155532.jpg

IMG_20131221_160311.jpg

Just finished my first build, which my buddy from the forum MarkWVU02 guided me through. Thanks to all of you I was able to do my homework and had no surprises in putting this together. I read, read some more, took my time and purchased tools/parts when they went on sale, Black Friday, etc. The end result is the bottom rifle in the above pics (the top belongs to MarkWVU02) As soon as the brake is pinned and welded , I’ll be hitting the range to put down as many rounds as I can before my finger falls off.

Big thanks to everyone here, I couldn’t have made the decisions or the balls to tackle this build without you.

Spike’s Stripped Blem(?) Lower

Spike’s Stripped Upper

Spike’s Standard Phosphate BCG

Spike’s Trigger Guard

Midwest PX LPT with ACT Trigger

Midwest 15rd Pinned Magpul FDE Magazine

KNS Trigger Pins

Magpul BAD Lever

Battle Arms Takedown Pins

Noveske QD End Plate

Spike’s Milspec Buffer Tube, Spring & T2 Buffer

BCM Standard 16” Mid Length Barrel, 1:7

BCM Gunfighter Mod4 Charging Handle

Yankee Hill Machine Picatinny Railed Gas Block

Magpul FDE Furniture

Midwest Industries ERS Flip Down FDE Iron Sights

PWS556 Muzzle Brake (not shown)

It came out great! Looking forward to hitting the range. It's always great bringing a new AR into the world haha

I have a few fenix lights.  I dont have that particular one, but the ones I do have always worked well.  I wouldnt suggest getting the ones that dont have a push button.  The ones that you have to turn the heads to turn on tend to wear out after while, but the ones with the rear button are great.

For HD instances I find it perfect. Light, simple to use, anf bright IMO...than again I don't have a ton of experience wwith weapon lights...I think 200 lumens and the simple design are great. A tight beam of light that'll do anywhere in my house.

I think the main reason I like it so much is the ergonomics....

I'm considering an additional light in my gear that is "brighter" on a quick detach mount because I can see the value in something obnoxious "just in case"... But on a daily basis I stand by the inforce unit especially considering how smooth it is...

you have the right light for indoors.  anything more than that is overkill for indoors.  outdoors, if more light is needed go with these

http://tnvc.com/shop/atpial-anpeq-15-advanced-target-pointerilluminator-aiming-laser/

http://tnvc.com/shop/anpvs-14-milspec-gen3-pinnacle-special-forces-kit/

you have the right light for indoors.  anything more than that is overkill for indoors.  outdoors, if more light is needed go with these

http://tnvc.com/shop/atpial-anpeq-15-advanced-target-pointerilluminator-aiming-laser/

http://tnvc.com/shop/anpvs-14-milspec-gen3-pinnacle-special-forces-kit/

Your joking right?

yes. Kinda. Although that would be a sweet setup no?

For a very specific set of circumstances sure. Bright white light is generally better though.

I have a PVS14 and access to a DBAL. The PVS14 is nice for navigating, surveillance, and target acquisition. I prefer to use bright white lights (200 lumen minimum, 500 or more preferred) to discriminate and engage from 0-100 yards.

The hard part about accessorizing an ar is that for most of us, there is no real world training. We won't ever serve a warrant on a drug dealer or take fire in some desert country. That isn't going to stop us from buying stuff like we are doing that every day but we aren't. I think that's why you always see "the seals use the p226 and hk416 so they must be the best". But we will never know. I appreciate actual military guys and swat guys that either post their opinions on stuff or offer training. Especially when they do so without being condescending and just generally want to help so thanks. I have a similar light to vlad. I may eventually reevaluate to see how things change. Maybe they will come out with a higher output version and I can upgrade to a similar feel.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program. Dug out the Nikon instead of using my crappy iphone.... Decided to experiment because haven't used the Nikon in awhile. Now that I took the effort to jar my slr memory, I screwed around with an old guillie suit I had for a back drop... Will be doing more when I get time for my weapon photo collection.

post-5135-138819516694_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Umm....light reflects off of objects. Let's say it's on a home defense gun that you will only use indoors, you probably don't want a bagillion lumens.

While I'm not quite at a bagillion, I have a 630 lumen flashlight mounted on my ppq. The only thing that would be a problem in my house is if I stand directly in front of a mirror, turn on the flashlight, and look right at it.

Umm....light reflects off of objects.  Let's say it's on a home defense gun that you will only use indoors, you probably don't want a bagillion lumens.

like Checko, I have yet to find a light that offers a "bajillion" lumens, but if I do find a light rated that high that I could put o my rifle, I would buy two. ;)

The idea that you will be blinded by your weapon light is propagated by folks that don't know how to use white light to properly search for threats and don't know what to do when they find one. I have made a lot of entries into structures looking for bad guys. I have looked for a lot of bad guys outdoors both in urban settings and woods/rural settings. I have never, ever said to myself - "gee, I wish I had less light". I use a 500 lumen SF Fury on my 2 social long guns (will be upgrading to P3X Fury - 1000 lumens - soon) and 500 lumen X300U on my work pistols - I have never "blinded" myself. I have found guys hiding in shadows, in buildings, under piles of leaves, in cars, in dumpsters, in tall grass, in closets, under beds, and in one case in a wall. Bright light helps me do that by throwing more light into dark spaces, removing shadows, and generally just letting me see.

Don't fear the light...

like Checko, I have yet to find a light that offers a "bajillion" lumens, but if I do find a light rated that high that I could put o my rifle, I would buy two. ;)

The idea that you will be blinded by your weapon light is propagated by folks that don't know how to use white light to properly search for threats and don't know what to do when they find one. I have made a lot of entries into structures looking for bad guys. I have looked for a lot of bad guys outdoors both in urban settings and woods/rural settings. I have never, ever said to myself - "gee, I wish I had less light". I use a 500 lumen SF Fury on my 2 social long guns (will be upgrading to P3X Fury - 1000 lumens - soon) and 500 lumen X300U on my work pistols - I have never "blinded" myself. I have found guys hiding in shadows, in buildings, under piles of leaves, in cars, in dumpsters, in tall grass, in closets, under beds, and in one case in a wall. Bright light helps me do that by throwing more light into dark spaces, removing shadows, and generally just letting me see.

Don't fear the light...

This

Umm....light reflects off of objects.  Let's say it's on a home defense gun that you will only use indoors, you probably don't want a bagillion lumens.

Yeah, you're right.

I'm taking my lights off my guns.

Wax candles and night lights all over the house are where it's at!

Oh ... and an oil lamp for checking around outside.

:banghead:

:suicide: