Ray Ray

AR pics, lets see'um!

A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon**;
a bayonet mount;
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
a grenade launcher

**the vertical grip under the handguard is not below the action of the weapon

My rollin' 'round gat is complete

18cfmu.jpg

Mostly a spare parts build that travels with me. Not seen but on the other side is a 300 lumen TLR1 in a cantilever mount. I know it's a pistol light that's optimized for 50 yards but given my purposes, should I ever need to deploy a carbine, I don't see the need to engage a target further than 50 yards as that's going to be hard to argue as an immediate threat to my safety.

16" LMT barreled upper

PX NiB BCG

Noveske N4 lower

LMT two stage trigger

I think the rest of the build is pretty self explanatory.

New_Ar8_10_14.jpg

not the best pic in the world, but my new baby home after her first 100 rounds this morning - four different

loads of brass and steel, ran great no matter what was in the mag.  big thanks to Steve at Monmouth Arms

for the pin and weld job on the brake.

As I understand it there are currently no 37mm grenades. So its only a flare launcher.

Well, there's gas (not NFA surprisingly), and there is behive, baton, buckshot, rubber buckshot, and flechete. The last 5, and anything anti personnel whether lethal or non-lethal, requires the 37mm launcher to be NFA registered as a destructive device. Same as an M-203.

I didn't think destructive devices were permitted in NJ, so what would the point of this evil feature be?

But it sounds like you guys have figured out it doesn't count as an evil feature for whatever reason, and that was my question. Thanks.

Well, there's gas (not NFA surprisingly), and there is behive, baton, buckshot, rubber buckshot, and flechete. The last 5, and anything anti personnel whether lethal or non-lethal, requires the 37mm launcher to be NFA registered as a destructive device. Same as an M-203.

I didn't think destructive devices were permitted in NJ, so what would the point of this evil feature be?

But it sounds like you guys have figured out it doesn't count as an evil feature for whatever reason, and that was my question. Thanks.

Isn't the NFA stamp on the rounds and not the launcher?

Isn't the NFA stamp on the rounds and not the launcher?

Both.

No.

Anti-personnel rounds, including stun rounds, rubber rounds, other non-lethal rounds, or lethal rounds such as buckshot/beehive turn the launcher into a Destructive Device because it has a rifled bore larger than .50 inch and is no longer exempted as a flare gun because it is being used as a weapon (lethal or not).

Neither the lethal ammo nor the non-lethal ammo require any stamp, just like any rifle or pistol ammo requires no stamp. It's the same stuff.

If the projectile contains greater than 1/4 ounce of explosive (such as M406 High Explosive round) then the ammunition itself becomes an Explosive Destructive Device and then each round of ammo requires a stamp. Simply because of the explosive content. This would apply to an explosive projectile of less than 0.50 inch, even a normal rifle round, but I don't know of any round that size that holds that much explosive. The .50 caliber Raufoss MK211 Mod 0 High Explosive Armor Piercing Incendiary round is NOT an explosive destructive device, for example, and does not require a stamp. There are 20mm High Explosive Tracer (20mmx110mm Hispano) that have several grams of high explosive and are nor explosive destructive devices, although the autocannon itself has a bore larger than 0.50 inches and therefore is a destructive device.

No.

Anti-personnel rounds, including stun rounds, rubber rounds, other non-lethal rounds, or lethal rounds such as buckshot/beehive turn the launcher into a Destructive Device because it has a rifled bore larger than .50 inch and is no longer exempted as a flare gun because it is being used as a weapon (lethal or not).

Neither the lethal ammo nor the non-lethal ammo require any stamp, just like any rifle or pistol ammo requires no stamp. It's the same stuff.

If the projectile contains greater than 1/4 ounce of explosive (such as M406 High Explosive round) then the ammunition itself becomes an Explosive Destructive Device and then each round of ammo requires a stamp.

My bad. My head had only considered the case of 40mm HE rounds. I forgot about all the other fun things you can put through those launchers.

Ok so the launcher itself is just a hunk of steel, but when used in conjunction with another round is when it changes?

40 mm is a DD. It is intended as a military weapon, period. Always DD, because it is a weapon with a rifled barrel > 0.50 in.

37 mm is intended as a flare launcher. It must be registered as DD before using with anti-personnel ammo because it has a rifled barrel &> 0.50 inches.

Any projectile with > 1/4 oz of explosive must be registered as an Explosive Destructive Device.

I'll just give everyone a preview at what I just picked up for my next build.....

25eb3ef9-60b8-4434-82f4-f1ee686624b8_zps

PSA just released their AR-10, so I snagged the last one at the warehouse store.  Unfortunately, they did not have a LBK at the store so it will be a little while before I finish the build. 

Anywho, for those interested, its a DPMS pattern so you can use the SR25 mags.  Looks to be machined nicely but I've never seen a bad lower from PSA.  The price was a little steep, I paid about $173 OTD with tax(no NICS due to CWP) but I wanted to get a low SN.  For those looking I would give it a little time and get the "blem" lowers once those come out.

I'll just give everyone a preview at what I just picked up for my next build.....

25eb3ef9-60b8-4434-82f4-f1ee686624b8_zps

PSA just released their AR-10, so I snagged the last one at the warehouse store. Unfortunately, they did not have a LBK at the store so it will be a little while before I finish the build.

Anywho, for those interested, its a DPMS pattern so you can use the SR25 mags. Looks to be machined nicely but I've never seen a bad lower from PSA. The price was a little steep, I paid about $173 OTD with tax(no NICS due to CWP) but I wanted to get a low SN. For those looking I would give it a little time and get the "blem" lowers once those come out.

Keep us posted on this one. It has me quite intrigued