Ray Ray

AR pics, lets see'um!

Yeah I really like the thorntail mounts nice and tight against the upper

This. Vlad turned me on to the Thorntail mount a couple years ago and it's been awesome. Before that I thought about adding a remote switch for my lights but these mounts places the switch right where my thumb naturally lays. No need for additional cables or switches that could fail.

Very nice. Whats the red dot on the psa build.

Yup, Vortex Sparc. I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of Vortex optics, very economical. Have a Strikefire and a Crossfire scope and both have been very solid.

b5294ffea4cf2b879f5aacf43a09ce66_zpsd652

Planning on running both of these ARs through a couple of classes from MDTS this summer. Can't wait!

xWrOskrl.jpg

My first budget build. In total, cost me about $500 (not including transfer) to make. Sorry for the grainy pic.

PSA Blem Lower - $40 (bought on sale at PSA)

Blackhawk PTac build kit - $400 (bought on sale at PSA)

YHM 5M1 Aggressive Comp - $30

Leapers Fixed Rear Sight - $30

**As always, that's a PINNED NJ legal magazine

I feel like I can finally participate.

20140328_194428_zpstvcp6he3.jpg

Spikes stripped lower

Daniel Defense LPK

ALG ACT trigger

Midwest PX buffer tube and buffer

Magpul CTR stock

Magpul MIAD grip

Daniel Defense M4 V5 Lightweight upper

Magpul MBUS front and rear

Aimpoint PRO

Midwest PX 15/20 Pmags

Still haven't sighted it in, as I'm stationed in NY right now (rifle is back home in NJ, it wouldn't be legal here).  What's left to do is figure out a sling, already have the quick detaches for it.  I also need to figure out which light to use.  I could use my TLR-1, or I have a Magpul mount for either of my Surefire lights.  One of the Surefire lights that I have is the dual output.  I'd like to use something like that, but does anyone know how that works with a remote switch?

Spikes stripped lower

Daniel Defense LPK

ALG ACT trigger

Magpul CTR stock

Magpul MIAD grip

Aimpoint PRO

Midwest PX 15/20 Pmags

Still haven't sighted it in, as I'm stationed in NY right now (rifle is back home in NJ, it wouldn't be legal here).  What's left to do is figure out a sling, already have the quick detaches for it.  I also need to figure out which light to use.  I could use my TLR-1, or I have a Magpul mount for either of my Surefire lights.  One of the Surefire lights that I have is the dual output.  I'd like to use something like that, but does anyone know how that works with a remote switch?

remote switches suck... look to the thorntail mounts.. 

gun looks good.. 

Spikes stripped lower

Daniel Defense LPK

ALG ACT trigger

Magpul CTR stock

Magpul MIAD grip

Aimpoint PRO

Midwest PX 15/20 Pmags

Looks good but a few quick things:

Bring your BUIS back all the way.

Avoid tape switches whenever possible, they are a weak link and complicate your "switchology".

Avoid multi-mode/multi output lights on rifles. Simple is better - bright light on/bright light off - that is about all your brain will be able to process under stress anyway. If you feel the need for a dim light to accomplish admin tasks, use a handheld light.

The Thorntail is nice, and useful on short handguards, but with that long rail you don't need it. Buy a VTAC mount for ~$20 and you will be all set.

Looks good but a few quick things:

Bring your BUIS back all the way.

Avoid tape switches whenever possible, they are a weak link and complicate your "switchology".

Avoid multi-mode/multi output lights on rifles. Simple is better - bright light on/bright light off - that is about all your brain will be able to process under stress anyway. If you feel the need for a dim light to accomplish admin tasks, use a handheld light.

The Thorntail is nice, and useful on short handguards, but with that long rail you don't need it. Buy a VTAC mount for ~$20 and you will be all set.

Okay.  One of my Surefire lights is single output, however it's not a constant on.  That's also the handheld that I like to use with my pistol.  So I might just stick with the TLR-1.

Right, but IMO a pistol light, especially the TLR1 is generally suboptimal on a rifle.

If that was what I was going to use, I would back the front BUIS up a bit (or use the new Tangodown Light Sight - https://tangodown.com/shop/tangodown-front-sight-flashlight-adapter/) and place the TLR1/X300U at 12 o'clock on the rail, makeing sure I had a true lower 1/3 co-witness on the optic.

I know it's not optimal, but I think it would be more temporary.  Right now I'm in NY, and I don't know where I'll be sent in a couple months, so I don't know if I'll be able to take it with me.  That means I have time to take a look around and decide what I want to end up using permanently.  Maybe I'll pick up one of those Inforce WML's.  I keep seeing people say good things about them, especially Anthony :lol:

I know it's not optimal, but I think it would be more temporary.  Right now I'm in NY, and I don't know where I'll be sent in a couple months, so I don't know if I'll be able to take it with me.  That means I have time to take a look around and decide what I want to end up using permanently.  Maybe I'll pick up one of those Inforce WML's.  I keep seeing people say good things about them, especially Anthony :lol:

If the WMLs were brighter that'd be cool. Would consider running one. I'd still prefer to run a two cell light with a bigger and deeper reflector and emitter.

It's not necessarily the brightness, It's more about the throw and beam shape. Being a pistol light it is designed to be more effective at typical pistol engagement distances.

For example at 500 lumens the X300U on my Glock is just as "bright" as the P2X Fury I have on my AR but at 50 yards it is not as effective.

Hey Vic nice stick. How is training going? When do you finish up? Hopefully you will get stationed someplace in America! My youngest deployed about two months ago and told us after the second week we wouldn't hear from him for 60 days or so. Good luck to you when you get to your duty station.

If the WMLs were brighter that'd be cool. Would consider running one. I'd still prefer to run a two cell light with a bigger and deeper reflector and emitter.

there is a new brighter version in the works... 

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2014/02/24/inforce-wmlx-500-lumens/