45Doll

"Gun Owner USA" Email $$ Scam on ATF Ruling

OK, I've received two emails from "Gun Owners Foundation", and their email address is "goa@gunownerusa.com".

The email content is formatted exactly like Gun Owners of America's. You know... GOA? Except this is not Gun Owners of America, and there's no website at 'gunownerusa.com'. The subject is "RE: Our lawsuit to STOP the ATF’s pistol ban ".

I think this is a scam/fishing setup leveraging off the ATF ruling to grab some fast money. If you don't pay attention to the details you might easily think it's GOA calling and click on Contribute. Especially if you're used to GOA email formats. It was caught in my commercial SPAM filter.

If someone has information to the contrary please post. Otherwise watch out.

• Like 1

OK. So the "Gun Owners Foundation" website is here:

https://www.gunowners.com/

and on this website if you 'Contribute' you do NOT go to Anedot.com. It has a contributions page set up. They also refer to themselves as 'GOF'. Does anyone know about this website, the organization, and if they're legit?

So, the email I received is from a different domain, the 'user' is GOA, not GOF. I still think it's a hoax.

@njJoniGuy : Where did you get the anedot link from? I never released this email from my SPAM filter, and did not click on a contribution link out of caution.

29 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

@njJoniGuy : Where did you get the anedot link from? I never released this email from my SPAM filter, and did not click on a contribution link out of caution.

In the email I got, when I clicked DONATE in response, the anedot link page opened.

Needless to say, I closed the window and deleted the original email.

• Informative 1

40 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

In the email I got, when I clicked DONATE in response, the anedot link page opened.

Needless to say, I closed the window and deleted the original email.

OK, thanks. I think I'll email the real GOA about this and see what they say. Depending on what they say I'll also ask the 'Gun Owners Foundation'.

• Like 1