10X

List of NJ Businesses posting 'No Guns' signs

8 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

After a shooting in a Walmart store a while ago with a guy open carrying an AR15, , they made it corporate policy for concealed carry only in all of their stores. I don't hold that against them as they still allow and welcome concealed carry in their stores!

agreed/ i don't care if they tell me i gotta hide it as long as they're not tryin to tell me i can't bring it in.......

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 8:21 AM, 1LtCAP said:

agreed/ i don't care if they tell me i gotta hide it as long as they're not tryin to tell me i can't bring it in.......

Indeed.

IMO unless it's a location that has metal detectors at the entrance or that's specifically restricted by law, I'm not overly concerned with the signage. 

If they somehow see my concealed gun and ask me to leave I'll do so.

It isn't exactly the same as prohibiting carry in a store, but what does everyone think about ranges that require any handgun used there to be unloaded and cased upon entering the facility? I have found one recently that appears not to recognize the existence of real concealed carry in NJ, Range 129 near Absecon. A few others seem to not allow drawing a loaded weapon at te facility.  I suspect some of these rules predate the effect of Bruen on concealed carry here, but also I think the ranges need to catch up with the times.

1 hour ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

It isn't exactly the same as prohibiting carry in a store, but what does everyone think about ranges that require any handgun used there to be unloaded and cased upon entering the facility? I have found one recently that appears not to recognize the existence of real concealed carry in NJ, Range 129 near Absecon. A few others seem to not allow drawing a loaded weapon at te facility.  I suspect some of these rules predate the effect of Bruen on concealed carry here, but also I think the ranges need to catch up with the times.

I would avoid those like the plague. Any gun range or gun seller that can't respect our right to legally carry doesn't deserve your money. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

I would avoid those like the plague. Any gun range or gun seller that can't respect our right to legally carry doesn't deserve your money. 

These are typically commercial ranges and they don't want any Tom, Dick or (Dirty) Harry messing about with holsters. Pretty much all these ranges will offer some kind of holster draw class which will then allow you to use a holster on their range.

This policy does not conflict with concealed carry permits. They are happy for you to carry your gun, just don't draw it. I'm guessing even that rule would be waived if an urgent situation arose.

I can understand the policy. I have heard of plenty of qualification courses of fire that have been used to obtain a carry permit, but had no element of safe holster use included. Having a permit to carry in a holster does not equate to proof of any level of knowledge or ability on safe use of a holster.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

57 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

These are typically commercial ranges and they don't want any Tom, Dick or (Dirty) Harry messing about with holsters. Pretty much all these ranges will offer some kind of holster draw class which will then allow you to use a holster on their range.

This policy does not conflict with concealed carry permits. They are happy for you to carry your gun, just don't draw it. I'm guessing even that rule would be waived if an urgent situation arose.

I can understand the policy. I have heard of plenty of qualification courses of fire that have been used to obtain a carry permit, but had no element of safe holster use included. Having a permit to carry in a holster does not equate to proof of any level of knowledge or ability on safe use of a holster.

I just wanted to weigh in here, since this is where I took my PTC courses and quals. They do indeed have holster draw as part of their training. If you trained and passed there, you can carry as well as holster draw at their range. I can't respond to those who didn't train there.

47 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

I just wanted to weigh in here, since this is where I took my PTC courses and quals. They do indeed have holster draw as part of their training. If you trained and passed there, you can carry as well as holster draw at their range. I can't respond to those who didn't train there.

That was Range 129 in Absecon? Their policy doesn't say anything about that. In fact, their policy states that you cannot bring a firearm in unless unloaded and in a locked case. Maybe they don't enforce that, I will need to contact them to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

I don't see why a range should get a pass on that, when we would be castigating a store that prohibited carry for the same reason.

4 minutes ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

That was Range 129 in Absecon? Their policy doesn't say anything about that. In fact, their policy states that you cannot bring a firearm in unless unloaded and in a locked case. Maybe they don't enforce that, I will need to contact them to see.

I put a call into them, they are closed on Monday....

34 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Add Willowbrook Mall to the list with signage stating there are firearm sniffing K9s on the premises! That's a joke. Only time I saw a k9 in Willowbrook was at Christmas with Sheriff's officers!

So if they do have "gun" sniffing dogs lets all start bringing in a little powder and spent primers in and spreading it all over and maybe drip a little hoppes solvent around.      wait,  does anyone normal go to willowbrook anymore cept' for gang bangers and other low lifes?

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Add Willowbrook Mall to the list with signage stating there are firearm sniffing K9s on the premises! That's a joke. Only time I saw a k9 in Willowbrook was at Christmas with Sheriff's officers!

Is that true, no carry in Willowbrook Mall?

5 hours ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

I don't see why a range should get a pass on that, when we would be castigating a store that prohibited carry for the same reason.

Get a pass on what? Any other place, that is not a range, is not going to go along with you removing your loaded gun from your holster without a damn good reason - i.e. you are being attacked.

A mishap is far more likely to occur whilst handling a gun than when it is left to sit in its holster. If a particular establishment has no idea who you are, or what your safe handling abilities are, I think it is completely understandable for them to ask you not to draw from a holster until such time as they have established what your skill level is. Typically that would be through completing the range's holster draw class.

The private range where I am a member has similar rules, but the qualification on whether you are trusted to have holster skills is to be LEO or have an IDPA classification. Without either of those things, a member is not allowed to use a holster unsupervised.

11 hours ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

what does everyone think about ranges that require any handgun used there to be unloaded and cased upon entering the facility?

That has been a standard rule at every range I've been to over the past 35 years.  It is  SOP for ALL firearms to be cased and unloaded upon entering,  been that way for decades.  If CCW holders want an exemption from that standard rule, they need to work that out with the range.

• Agree 1

On 5/16/2023 at 12:11 AM, Scorpio64 said:

That has been a standard rule at every range I've been to over the past 35 years.  It is  SOP for ALL firearms to be cased and unloaded upon entering,  been that way for decades.  If CCW holders want an exemption from that standard rule, they need to work that out with the range.

I agree with that 100%. One reason for my posting this was to suggest to CCW holders that they might want to begin such a conversation.

**EDITED** to add - IIRC, Shooters has a sign on the inside door that says that loaded firearms may not be unholstered on the prermises, which is a bit different.

On 5/15/2023 at 11:11 PM, Mr.Stu said:

Get a pass on what? Any other place, that is not a range, is not going to go along with you removing your loaded gun from your holster without a damn good reason - i.e. you are being attacked.

A mishap is far more likely to occur whilst handling a gun than when it is left to sit in its holster. If a particular establishment has no idea who you are, or what your safe handling abilities are, I think it is completely understandable for them to ask you not to draw from a holster until such time as they have established what your skill level is. Typically that would be through completing the range's holster draw class.

The private range where I am a member has similar rules, but the qualification on whether you are trusted to have holster skills is to be LEO or have an IDPA classification. Without either of those things, a member is not allowed to use a holster unsupervised.

My point was that if ranges get a pass for this rule on the basis that CCW holders may not be adequately trained to draw safely, why couldn't a retail store justify barring carry on the very same risk basis? A carrier would need to draw the firearm from concealment to defend him or herself while in the store.  I suupose to be a pure analogy, the store would need to state that customers could carry, but never draw, but that is a moot distinction to me.

1 minute ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

My point was that if ranges get a pass for this rule on the basis that CCW holders may not be adequately trained to draw safely, why couldn't a retail store justify barring carry on the very same risk basis? A carrier would need to draw the firearm from concealment to defend him or herself while in the store.  I suupose to be a pure analogy, the store would need to state that customers could carry, but never draw, but that is a moot distinction to me.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said "without a damn good reason - i.e. you are being attacked"

You appear also to miss that a store (or range) can prohibit you from carrying on their property for any reason they like - or no reason at all. You may believe that a range prohibiting carry is a bit hypocritical, but that does not reduce their right to do it. The same is true for placing restrictions on what you do with your carry gun while on their property.

There is a huge difference between someone carrying for self defense needing to draw their gun which is very unlikely and someone repeatedly drawing for practice or whatever other reason. Each time the gun goes back into the holster there is another chance of something going wrong and the gun discharging. The risks accumulate.

Also note, drawing a gun from a holster is relatively risk free so long as you maintain your grip and keep your trigger finger straight. Putting the gun into the holster carries more risk as there is the potential for some obstruction to activate the trigger. If you take a class on holster use, you should find the instructor spends more time on safely getting the gun into the holster than they do talking about the safety issues with respect to getting the gun out.

1 minute ago, Mr.Stu said:

Perhaps you missed the part where I said "without a damn good reason - i.e. you are being attacked"

You appear also to miss that a store (or range) can prohibit you from carrying on their property for any reason they like - or no reason at all. You may believe that a range prohibiting carry is a bit hypocritical, but that does not reduce their right to do it. The same is true for placing restrictions on what you do with your carry gun while on their property.

There is a huge difference between someone carrying for self defense needing to draw their gun which is very unlikely and someone repeatedly drawing for practice or whatever other reason. Each time the gun goes back into the holster there is another chance of something going wrong and the gun discharging. The risks accumulate.

Also note, drawing a gun from a holster is relatively risk free so long as you maintain your grip and keep your trigger finger straight. Putting the gun into the holster carries more risk as there is the potential for some obstruction to activate the trigger. If you take a class on holster use, you should find the instructor spends more time on safely getting the gun into the holster than they do talking about the safety issues with respect to getting the gun out.

I concede your points have a lot of merit. However, I think that now that there are many NJ CCW holders, maybe ranges should consider revising policy to allow carry, while possibly still barring draw. That seems to be Shooters' policy, based on the sign they posted.

• Agree 1

I just updated the top post to include all Costco locations.  While I’ve never seen a ‘no guns’ sign at one, their website has a statement banning carry at all Costco stores.  That sucks, though I’d think lack of signage makes it a ‘leave if asked’ scenario. 

On 6/5/2023 at 4:35 PM, Grima Squeakersen said:

I concede your points have a lot of merit. However, I think that now that there are many NJ CCW holders, maybe ranges should consider revising policy to allow carry, while possibly still barring draw. That seems to be Shooters' policy, based on the sign they posted.

For Ranges, it's an insurance liability thing.  Some ranges allow you to holster draw if you prove proficiency.  

8 hours ago, Downtownv said:

I believe in New Jersey they have to post a sign at the entrance way. People are not responsible to read a company's website to know what their rules are.

For Government buildings it has to be a visible sign at each entryway.  There's no actual ruling on signage in NJ.

12 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Willowbrook Mall has signs stating they have firearm sniffing dogs on the premises. That's a good one!

I generally avoid Willowbrook, but now I may have to put a dab of Hoppes behind each ear and a drop of Remoil or CLP on each wrist and go check out the mall. 

• Haha 3

On 5/15/2023 at 6:26 PM, revenger said:

So if they do have "gun" sniffing dogs lets all start bringing in a little powder and spent primers in and spreading it all over and maybe drip a little hoppes solvent around.      wait,  does anyone normal go to willowbrook anymore cept' for gang bangers and other low lifes?

that would be hilarious

Have carried in Costco numerous times, haven't seen signs anywhere. Just checked the website and see nothing regarding firearms, unless it's buried someplace. Since it's not posted at entrances I'm not interested in knowing where it is noted on the website either. Went to QB Mall the other day and entered through Macy's, no signs there either. Am I expected to check every entrance to the mall to be sure? So stupid.

11 hours ago, bennj said:

Went to QB Mall the other day and entered through Macy's, no signs there either. Am I expected to check every entrance to the mall to be sure? So stupid.

East entrance (opposite Route 1) has the sign.  I can't comment on the other entrances as that's the one that I use on the rare occasion that I need to go there.