ESB

Court strikes down old law prevented domestic abusers from getting guns

"Federal appeals court struck down a decades-old gun law Thursday that blocked people under domestic violence protection orders from possessing firearms, saying the law is unconstitutional after a new precedent for gun laws was set in a landmark Supreme Court decision."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/federal-court-strikes-down-decades-old-gun-law-targeting-domestic-violence/ar-AA173Fbv

Not sure I like this one.  Next up will be allowing felons the ability to legally get guns.  Then allowing them to vote again.  :( 

If you're subject to a TRO or FRO, what felony have you been found guilty of?

It is a common tactic in NJ divorces for the soon-to-be ex-wife to file a TRO against the man, just as a leverage technique. Far too often it is used without any basis in fact and the woman gets away with it.

I'm not saying there are not valid reasons for restraining orders, but they are pretty useless in effect anyway. Ask Carol Bowne.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ESB said:

...Not sure I like this one.  Next up will be allowing felons the ability to legally get guns.  Then allowing them to vote again.  :( 

And the subject of this decision is NOT a good guy.

Long criminal history.

https://casetext.com/case/united-states-v-rahimi-11

• Informative 1

Innocent until proven guilty.  And...I think felons should get their rights back after they've completed there sentences.  But I'm okay if revocation of certain rights is part of that sentence.  But once they are free and clear of whatever sentence they receive, rights should be restored.

However, in my ideal world, if they can't be trusted to have their rights restored, they shouldn't be getting out until they can.