TuscanRaider

Defense Ammo for CCW

If you want to carry hollow point type ammo then the hollow cavity needs to be filled, like Hornady Critical Duty/Defense

hor91296_4.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f08d6025e2

Otherwise use ball ammo of some kind with good shot placement and being aware of what's behind your target.

3 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

If you want to carry hollow point type ammo then the hollow cavity needs to be filled, like Hornady Critical Duty/Defense

hor91296_4.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f08d6025e2

Otherwise use ball ammo of some kind with good shot placement and being aware of what's behind your target.

Thanks....this is exactly what i was looking for!

For my two EDC options this is what I carry:

S&W M&P 40c loaded with Hornady critical defense 40 S&W 165 grains, 1 in the chamber 10 in the mag and a spare 10 round magazine in my left back pocket with Neo Mag mag holder.

S&W 642 cylinder loaded with Underwood 38 special 150 grain wadcutters, reloads are hornady critical defense 110 grain standard pressure, neo mag speed strip holder in my back left pocket and and a HKS speed loader in a pocket. 

On 2/7/2023 at 1:12 PM, always_an_eagle said:

For my two EDC options this is what I carry:

S&W M&P 40c loaded with Hornady critical defense 40 S&W 165 grains, 1 in the chamber 10 in the mag and a spare 10 round magazine in my left back pocket with Neo Mag mag holder.

S&W 642 cylinder loaded with Underwood 38 special 150 grain wadcutters, reloads are hornady critical defense 110 grain standard pressure, neo mag speed strip holder in my back left pocket and and a HKS speed loader in a pocket. 

Just curious as to where you purchase the 110 grain Critical Defense projectiles for reloading....

3 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'm not sure i'd want to be carrying reloads of any kind in my carry gun. 'specially in this state.

Yeah, for carry I'm just going with factory as well.

Everything else in the house (except shotgun) is pretty much reloads, but it's easy enough to keep some magazines loaded with factory stuff for the pistols I'll carry...just in case.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:21 AM, TuscanRaider said:

So what is everyone using or what are we "allowed" to use for carry ammo?  Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Gold Dot?  Is there anything we're specifically not allowed to use?

I think Speer Gold Dot is Hollow Point for handgun ammo which is illegal in NJ.  Speer Gold Dot rifle rounds are soft point.  Not sure if they make soft point hand gun rounds.  

Anyway, pretty much the only option to us in NJ is Hornady.  For 9mm, 115gr Critical Defense, 100gr Critical Defense Lite, or 124gr Critical Duty.  I use 115gr Critical Defense.  

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, RichP said:

You could also use:

Gold Dot G2

Nosler Tipped Bonded

Winchester Ready Defense

Most folks go with Hornady because they are easy to find, listed by NJSP by name and is a proven, quality ammo.

Thanks for sharing.  it's good to know that there are others out there (I picked Hornady for the reasons you mentioned).

I'll add them to my list and grab a few boxes if i ever run into them.

I just ordered and received an order of six boxes of 9mm Critical Defense from MidwayUSA.   After I qualify next week, I plan to run 50 rounds each thru my G19 and G26 carry guns to validate proper function and reliability.  (Btw, placed the order on 2/03, received it yesterday 2/07. Great service.)

• Informative 1

Factory wadcutters in a j frame are my preferred carry ammo over hollowpoints.

Reasons?  I've listed these before but will do it again.

1.  The load is easy on your revolver and you.  Low recoil and muzzle blast.  Greater control for followup shots.

2.  The bullet starts out in an efficient shape.  A hollowpoint has to expand a bit to get the way a wadcutter comes out of the barrel.

3.  Adequate penetration.  A 2" 38 spl shooting a 148 gr hbwc will give about 16" of penetration in ballistic gel (as will a 32 acp or 32 long but that's another topic).  The reason is the hollow base keeps the bullet punching straight through because the weight is all forward. RNL, SWC, and JHP will all tend to tumble in the target because all the weight is in the rear of the bullet.

Reloads? I'll carry 158 SWC as it reloads easier Easier and gives similar terminal ballistics at the cost of a bit more recoil.

357s in a j frame are a waste IMO.  Penetration is about the same as comparable 38 spl loads.  You do get greater expansion at the cost of heavier recoil and muzzle blast.  My favorite load in a j frame 357 is Federal 147 gr 38 +p+.  Recoil is manageable, muzzle flash isn't bad, and I've chronoed it as just shy of 1000 fps from a 2".  Similar ballistics as a 147 gr 9mm. It's over 1000 fps or more in a 4" or longer 357 and much more controllable.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

The hollow base is makes the wadcutter work so well.  If you roll your own ammo don't try to jack up velocity.  Driven  fast enough you can blow out the base and leave a ring of lead in the barrel giving you disastrous results.  Keep to target load velocities.

You will find people who reverse the bullet, loading it backwards so you have a huge hollowpoint.  When they work, they work well.  However, what happens often is the skirt of the hollow often breaks off and there is little, if any expansion.  I conducted my own tests long ago and was not impressed with the results.  Terminal ballistic performance is erratic.

I recently found out about Lehigh Defense/ Extreme Defense rounds. Bill Wilson bought the company.  Underwood has been offering the bullets in their loaded ammo for years. Since its not a "hollow point" is it NJ ok to carry? its a 90 gr moving fast.... any thoughts or knowledge out there ? thanks 

3 minutes ago, NJ2AMBR said:

I recently found out about Lehigh Defense/ Extreme Defense rounds. Bill Wilson bought the company.  Underwood has been offering the bullets in their loaded ammo for years. Since its not a "hollow point" is it NJ ok to carry? its a 90 gr moving fast.... any thoughts or knowledge out there ? thanks 

Yes, we can carry Xtreme Defense type ammunition. We're only restricted from hollow point ammunition.