RegRasc1

Practice w/ what you plan to carry?

I apologize if this belongs in the Concealed Carry sub-forum, but I felt this was the more appropriate spot since its more about a purchase than anything.

I'm waiting on some P2P's, but I'm torn about what to get and looking for some input.  I'm fairly new to shooting but getting my CCW permit is my eventual goal.  I currently have a Ruger Sec 9 Compact, but was thinking of getting something along the lines of the Hellcat or Shield Plus as my carry weapon.  Where my confusion comes in is whether I would be better off supplementing my Sec 9 with a .22 like the TX22 to get more, and cheaper, trigger time to work on my fundamentals or get my ideal carry gun and build my skills with that?  Or, since the Sec 9 is close in size to the others, buy nothing and use the money towards lessons/training and more ammo?

The other benefit of the .22 is that I might be able to convince my wife to shoot that with me.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

I'm a big fan of having a .22 pistol around for the reasons you described.

When ammo, powder, and primers became scarce with COVID I shot MUCH more .22 than any other cartridge.

For a newer shooter a .22 is an essential training tool and it's great to have around for bringing wives, children, friends, etc to the range for the first time.

• Agree 2

I daily carry a Glock 19, and just started using a Glock 44 (.22 cal) to for cheap training. They are the same sized pistol, so the feel, except the weight, is the same. 

Personally, I think it’s a good idea to train like you fight, so a .22 version of your carry gun is a good idea as far as I’m concerned. 

• Informative 1

Why not both?

There are so many skills you can practice at home with your carry weapon as well. It's just as important to feel comfortable carrying, readying, loading, and making the weapon safe. Dry fire practice is free, and you should do that.

22s are great. In any case, shooting more is always good.

I'm a big fan of .22LR conversion kits... unfortunately they don't really make 'em for concealed carry size pistols.  

That being said - the Taurus TX22 is a wonderful .22LR pistol - there's a reason why it won the 2019 Guns & Ammo "Gun of the Year" award.  It's a great trainer for the fundamentals.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Why not both?

I certainly would if I had an unlimited budget, but as the saying goes...cheaper to keep her :).

That said, I see the value in both and that's what had me twisted.  I applied for 4 P2P's, so maybe my powers of persuasion will change her mind.  She does say she likes a revolver...