Townhall90

Kel-Tec SUB2000?

14 minutes ago, gfl216 said:

I had one in 40 cal. a few years back. I would say spend the extra $100 and get a Ruger pc carbine. 

I would agree 100%.

I have owned the Beretta CX4, Marlin Camp 9, Sub2k and the Ruger PC.

I still own the Ruger.

In my opinion, the Sub2k is a no brainer as a $300 gun. The price has now jumped up to the $500+ range.

The Ruger for another $100 is a much better gun....better build quality, better sights, easier take down, threaded barrel (if no pistol grip).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dajonga said:

In my opinion, the Sub2k is a no brainer as a $300 gun. The price has now jumped up to the $500+ range.

The Ruger for another $100 is a much better gun....better build quality, better sights, easier take down, threaded barrel (if no pistol grip).

This is the issue. It's common to see them over  $600 in local shops. For what it is, it's pretty cool: a backpack gun that can compliment your 9mm handguns. It is also more accurate than I expected.

However:

• Out-of-the-box trigger is not good, but gets better on reset
  • Getting a good cheek weld with iron sights is awkward, could consider RDO which sits higher
  • It's all plastic. All Kel-Tec guns basically look like toys.
  • Kel-Tec customer service is pretty good but keep the original retail receipt.

Before I happened upon the SUB2000 in a shop I was pretty much set on the Ruger PCC. In general, Ruger makes good stuff.

I wouldn't say I regret buying it, but it's in my top 3 of guns I probably should have thought twice about. But it still goes bang, and the unfold and charging handle slap is satisfying in its own way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

This is the issue. It's common to see them over  $600 in local shops. For what it is, it's pretty cool: a backpack gun that can compliment your 9mm handguns. It is also more accurate than I expected.

However:

• Out-of-the-box trigger is not good, but gets better on reset
  • Getting a good cheek weld with iron sights is awkward, could consider RDO which sits higher
  • It's all plastic. All Kel-Tec guns basically look like toys.
  • Kel-Tec customer service is pretty good but keep the original retail receipt.

Before I happened upon the SUB2000 in a shop I was pretty much set on the Ruger PCC. In general, Ruger makes good stuff.

I wouldn't say I regret buying it, but it's in my top 3 of guns I probably should have thought twice about. But it still goes bang, and the unfold and charging handle slap is satisfying in its own way.

Agree.

I love my Sub2000, both for its backpack potential and that it's fun to shoot. 

But be aware that if you get one, it's probably going to need some upgrades.  M*Carbo makes a lot of nice add-ons.  You will likely need to purchase their rubber sleeve for the receiver to keep the bare metal from slamming against your cheek.  Also, you will probably want to add a red dot sight, as the cheek weld to use the iron sights is awkward, at best.  Then you will need a special mount for it that either swings out of the way, or is QD of some kind, so you can still fold your gun. 

All that said, I believe it's still worth it, but it's definitely a case of mo' money, mo' money.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Kel Tec has a $100 rebate going for SUB2000s. Go for it, unless you prefer S&W's folding 9mm more.

https://rapid-rebates.com/Keltec

You just beat me to it!  I have received emails from several sites this morning offering it for $329 after rebate.  If you're going to go for it, now is the time.

Edited to add:

Prepper Gun Shop has them for under $300 after the rebate.  Definitely a hot deal!

• Like 1

I pointed this one out to my FFL:

640832004854 - Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm SUB2K9GLK19BTANHC | gun.deals

Ignoring the fact that it comes with a 15-round mag, my FFL said this is an upgrade (or version 2) of the Sub-2000 and has a threaded barrel, which as the third evil feature makes it a no-no in NJ with a pistol grip and removable magazine.

Can anyone confirm it has threaded barrel? I can't find any specs at Kel Tec or any mention of that anywhere else. 

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I pointed this one out to my FFL:

640832004854 - Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm SUB2K9GLK19BTANHC | gun.deals

Ignoring the fact that it comes with a 15-round mag, my FFL said this is an upgrade (or version 2) of the Sub-2000 and has a threaded barrel, which as the third evil feature makes it a no-no in NJ with a pistol grip and removable magazine.

Can anyone confirm it has threaded barrel? I can't find any specs at Kel Tec or any mention of that anywhere else. 

I have a gen 2 with a threaded barrel. Not sure if they're all always threaded. But can't you just pin and weld into the thread protector? That's what I have.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:18 PM, Vzguy said:

I have one also no issues. 

FYI: Henry just released the Homesteader. Nice classic rifle designed carbine in 9mm.

It can take Glock or Sig mags with a magwell adaptor. Or Henry has their own, 5 or 10 rounders.

Shot it at SHOT Show - it's not bad.  Was having issues with the magwell though - the mag release button is stiff as hell.