SgtToadette

For Those That Have Applied for Handgun Purchase Permits

This is a question for anybody that has applied for a handgun purchase permit since December 22, 2022 – the day that Murphy signed the “Carry-Killer” bill into law. Part of that bill raised the price of purchase permits from $2 to $25 – the question is: How many of you have been charged the new $25 price by their police departments? I guess the corollary to that would be how many are still only paying $2? In both instances, please name the police department.

While ANJRPC’s injunctive relief was granted for parts of the bill, as I understand it, fees was not one of them. An informal survey of local PD’s here in my area shows one still only charging $2, others are charging the new fee of $25.

The fee increase for everything is technically in effect. Some towns are not collecting the fees until everything ports to FARS and the state isn’t pushing it.

The only fee that is mandatory for the municipality to collect right now is the $50 money order to the State for the CCW permit ($200 total, $150 to municipality, $50 to State). Other than that, the state is telling the towns “It’s your money. If you don’t want it, we don’t care.”

There are laws that govern how cash is handled and there is a timeline that describes what you have to do with money that is collected. It’s kind of a pain in the ass. Some towns are not set up to handle the extra cash flow, so they are keeping things status-quo until the fees can be paid online and they no longer have to collect cash or MOs.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SgtToadette said:

An informal survey of local PD’s here in my area shows one still only charging $2, others are charging the new fee of $25.

I think you will find that departments led by a pro 2A CPD will continue to charge $2.00  while those with anti 2A CPD's will jump at the chance to raise the rates.