Lawnmower2021

Should I explore new calibers?

So far, my collection represents common calibers well. 9mm, 45acp, .357 magnum, .380, 22LR...

I don't hunt, but would something new be worthwhile?

Considering 10mm; wouldn't mind having another 1911 at all! How does the experience compare to 45?

5.7? Not many options, but seems interesting. Would be more tempted if we could get a full size mag into a PS90.

Big bore handguns? Look fun, but don't want to spend $2+ a pop on ammo. Would entice better if it could handle common cartridges too. This gun is comically large but if it can be fitted to shoot 45ACP that would make it gather less dust: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-9mm-45-acp-revolvers/#h-4-ruger-redhawk

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

Edited by Lawnmower2021
Clarifying 357 magnum :)

Yes! everyone needs more calibers,

I like the 5.7 , I have a FiveSeven and ps90, factory ammo is expensive and reloading it is a pain, it ALWAYS needs trimming. 

There is also the 38 special/ 357 mag that carry over to rifles too and can even be loaded w/ black powder.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ferris said:

When I saw 357 I thought 357 sig, now I realize you probably meant 357 mag. So taking @Krdshrk suggesting you can pick up a 40 sw and get 357 sig w/ a barrel swap (in a lot of cases)

I did just that with a Sig P229 in .40 cal. Bought the .357 Sig conversion kit and it works like a champ. BTW the mags are interchangeable, as stamped on their bodies.

• Like 3

I would agree 100% that .40 is a caliber worth considering, especially now that people are dumping their 40s because they have read online that 40 is a dying fad.

Think back to 2-3 years ago during the "great panic". The shop I work at had short supplies of 9 and 45acp, with purchase limits on each. .380/.38/.357/.44 was nowhere to be found. Prices were climbing quickly due to the shortage.

The .40 S&W ammo shelf? Stacked deep and priced low...$19.99.. I wish I had bought more at that price. At that time, I picked up a used Glock 35 cheap and have not regretted it once. I do not shoot it often, but I have it and a couple thousand rounds. During the next shortage (don't think there won't be another shortage), I can shoot all I want of .40 and not think twice.

The S&W 10mm revolvers can also shoot .40 S&W.

The S&W Governor shoots 3 calibers... .410, 45 colt & 45 ACP.

If you are thinking about a big bore revolver, I would recommend something in .460 S&W. Those shoot 460, 454 Casull and 45 colt. Not a cheap gun to own or shoot, but I do like a 3fer.

• Informative 2

2 hours ago, dajonga said:

460 S&W. Those shoot 460, 454 Casull and 45 colt. Not a cheap gun to own or shoot, but I do like a 3fer.

You know your pistol is big when it has strap loops :D https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/performance-center-model-460xvr-hi-viz-fiber-optic-front-sight

Thanks everyone for the input! Especially helpful to learn of the multi-caliber options.

I'm honestly considering a ported Iver Johnson 1911 in 10mm. Anyone try those? Are there any disadvantages to porting?

The 10mm is an amazing cartridge and I would seriously consider that if you do not own one. If you reload then its even more versatile since you can make light loads for target practice that will feel like a 40Sw or juice them up to ++p velocity to take down a Grizzle bear in an emergency. Heavy duty loads are also available from Buffalo Bore and Underwood off the shelf. You can buy a 40SW barrel for it if you want to shoot that cartridge too. A 10mm in a 1911 has got a decent amount of muzzle flip to it but a Glock 20 somehow mitigates this factor dramatically.  You can also get a compensator fitted to a threaded barrel on a 10mm barrel if you so desire to help keep the sights on target.

If you dont have a 1911 in 9mm then consider that. They are a smooth ride and ammo is reasonably priced compared to 10mm. The 9mm magazines these days make for reliable feeding with ball ammo so that is no longer a problem.

I have a 460SW from the S&W perf center. It has a 12" comped barrel and a scope on it. Have to shoot it off a bipod. I probably have fired less then 100 rounds through it and 1/2 of those were 45 long colt and the other 1/2 were 454 cassul and 460SW. It has become a big dust collector in the safe since the initial novelty wore off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I'm honestly considering a ported Iver Johnson 1911 in 10mm. Anyone try those? Are there any disadvantages to porting?

The only disadvantage is for the bad guys because you'll be able to stay on target better.

I think you should buy it.

Also take some pictures and do a range report when you get it...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I like 10mm.... cause it's 10mm! Although it's pricey even now compared to 9mm...

I like my 10mm (old SW1066) but it throws all the brass thru the back window of the shoothouses at SJSC !

Get the 10mm. It's really just a .40SW Magnum!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

eaa_stock_ii_png_1.png

Nice pistol! I like the SS with that grip combination. What material are those grips?

I considered a 10mm in a 1911 format. Didn't get one... yet. For now it's a Glock 40 MOS.

7 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Nice pistol! I like the SS with that grip combination. What material are those grips?

I considered a 10mm in a 1911 format. Didn't get one... yet. For now it's a Glock 40 MOS.

Those grips are real wood as they came from the factory.  This finish is what is called "Hard Chrome"  and it is sweet.  The stock mags were 15rds.

9 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

Those grips are real wood as they came from the factory.  This finish is what is called "Hard Chrome"  and it is sweet.  The stock mags were 15rds.

Good deal. I was going to say wood grips, but the last time I said that about one of my revolvers I was corrected, and discovered they were synthetic. Looked like Rosewood. Since that was my first handgun bought in 1979, I wrote it off as optimistic memory.

And the hard chrome is tasty.

16 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

This is what I ended up with... well, it's something different. Hope to try it soon

Looks good. Good luck with it. Need some ammo? I just checked AmmoSeek and the lowest case price they show for new 180 gr. brass is still SG Ammo @ .42/round. Delivered with tax and insurance is around $451.

1000 Round Case - 10mm Auto 180 Grain FMJ Ammo By Sellier Bellot - SB10A | SGAmmo.com

Not 'cheap' by our standards, but it does go BOOM!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Looks good. Good luck with it. Need some ammo? I just checked AmmoSeek and the lowest case price they show for new 180 gr. brass is still SG Ammo @ .42/round. Delivered with tax and insurance is around $451.

1000 Round Case - 10mm Auto 180 Grain FMJ Ammo By Sellier Bellot - SB10A | SGAmmo.com

Not 'cheap' by our standards, but it does go BOOM!

Oh that's a good link, thank you! I previously got a few boxes of Federal from TargetSportsUSA to try out. A little more expensive @ .46/round, but I always have free shipping.

6 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Oh that's a good link, thank you! I previously got a few boxes of Federal from TargetSportsUSA to try out. A little more expensive @ .46/round, but I always have free shipping.

Right. TSUSA is typically the lowest, or next to lowest price for any given ammo in stock. Not in this case however.

I always check Ammo Seek before a significant purchase.

• Thanks 1

Because I have a boatload of primers at the old prices I can still reload ass kickers for about 24 cents each.  When the primers run out it is sure going to be a different story.  You are going to love 10mm.   Good luck with your new toy.

• Like 1