124gr9mm

Anyone know where to get Scrapple in North Jersey?

Going to Michigan to see in-laws and they asked us to bring them some Scrapple.  They used to live in South Jersey and evidently it was available there.

Anyone know of a place up here where I can grab some???

6 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Shop Rite and Lidl carry it

Thanks.

My wife said she asked at the Shop Rite in Wayne and they said 'no', but maybe the teenagers there didn't know what she was talking about.

11 hours ago, bennj said:

Search Shoprites in Wayne. Wayne Hills Mall Shoprite shows it, may be others in your area. I don't know how good Parks beef scrapple is though.

I stopped in there yesterday but they wouldn't sell me their last 3 packages.

The expiration dates were over a year old, so the guy said he had to toss them.

I tried to explain that frozen scrapple was probably 'good' for a few decades, but he didn't want to lose his job...

Dietrich's in Krumsville, PA, Exit 40 off Rt. 78. Made IN THE STORE!

https://dietrichsmeats.com/

Here's the scrapple pic:

https://dietrichsmeats.com/smokedmeats4.html

Dixon's Muzzleloading shop and Pinnacle Ridge Winery at the same exit, and just 11 miles due east of Cabela's, Cigars International. Russel Stover, etc., etc.!

Rosey

5 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Never had scrapple, is it like spam.

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name Pannhaas ("pan tenderloin" in English),[1][2] is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is primarily eaten in the southern Mid-Atlantic region of the United States (Delaware, Maryland, South Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.).

Scrapple and panhaas are commonly considered an ethnic food of the Pennsylvania Dutch, including the Mennonites and Amish. Scrapple is found in supermarkets throughout the region in both fresh and frozen refrigerated cases.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.QLO9gVjO6Dvb5GnvlgGKxgHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=9050a1f230db8b01f07b064ee3818c75a940972320a3dc036a241c49453b4eb2&ipo=imagesHow To Cook Scrapple Crispy And Not Soggy
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Pannhaas ("pan tenderloin" in English

Ehhh, maybe this "tenderloin" and the "ham" do have something in common.  As sure as "TH" is not ham, Scrapple sure as hell ain't tenderloin.  lol, tenderloin.  I guess the Amish do have a sense of humor.

38 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Never had scrapple, is it like spam.

Not really.  Scrapple, if it's done right, is crispy on the outside and a little squishy on the inside. It's typically dredged in flour and pan fried in butter.  Ketchup is a popular condiment.

I was buying sausage at Marshall's Farm Market on Route 46 not far from the PA border a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I saw a sign for scrapple too.

The sausage is delicious. Might be worth giving them a call.

http://www.marshallsfarmmarket.com/