10X

Do NJ hollow point restrictions apply to bullets, or only loaded ammunition?

I'm planning a move out of state later this year, and I know our idiotic restrictions on hollow point ammunition don't include a carve-out for moving.   BUT, every reference I've seen is to hollow point ammunition.   I reload.  Is there any restriction, real or imagined (by the state) on moving hollow point bullets?

NJ hollow point ammunition restrictions

Check the statute - it is the bullet that is prohibited, regardless of whether it is assembled into a whole round of ammunition:

2C:39-3 Prohibited weapons and devices.
    2C:39-3.   Prohibited Weapons and Devices.

f.   Dum-dum or armor piercing ammunition. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet, or (2) any person, other than a collector of firearms or ammunition as curios or relics as defined in Title 18, United States Code, section 921 (a) (13) and has in his possession a valid Collector of Curios and Relics License issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, who knowingly has in his possession any armor piercing ammunition, as defined in subsection gg. of N.J.S.2C:39-1, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree. For purposes of this section, a collector may possess not more than three examples of each distinctive variation of the ammunition described above. A distinctive variation includes a different head stamp, composition, design, or color.

• Thanks 1

Pick a gun range in the area that you are moving to.  Print out the directions and put them in your car. If/when you ever get stopped just say you are going to that range to shoot.  You are covered under the exemption if you are going to the range.  Do not say you are moving.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I believe you would be protected by FOPA when transporting interstate where the final destination is outside NJ.

I believe that, too.   I'm just worried about NJ's belief that Federal laws don't apply here.

20 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

Pick a gun range in the area that you are moving to.  Print out the directions and put them in your car. If/when you ever get stopped just say you are going to that range to shoot.  You are covered under the exemption if you are going to the range.  Do not say you are moving.

I thought of that, but the car will be packed to the roof with stuff the movers won't take, and the range in the area I'm moving to could be several days drive away.   Perhaps the safest approach would be to plan a pre-moving-day trip to EFGA, then stop at a post office once in PA.   I'll load and shoot or sell most of the bullets while I'm in NJ, but there are a few hundred in a caliber that is very difficult to find, and I don't want to give those up.

Lots to think about here, and great points brought up by all. Thanks to @Mr.Stu for the latest info!

Reloading components such as powder and primers are considered hazmat items and as such are exempted items for moving companies. Bullet heads that are hollow points are still evil (according to NJ). I know friends that have secured them in their original boxes in totes and stacked them in either the moving van or their personal vehicles. I also have friends that have shipped them to themselves at the new address since UPS doesn't care so long as no "machined parts" with serial numbers or finished ammo (the old ORM-D placard) are involved.

New Jersey has a sordid history of not observing FOPA. Just ask the out-of-state guy who was both dog-ass tired from driving and stupid enough to fall asleep in a bank's parking lot with --OMG! --unregistered long guns in cases in a hatchback that were visible with a mere flashlight! He is doing or did TIME in PRISON! Because he didn't cover the rifle cases with a blanket!

My advice is since movers charge BY THE POUND on their invoice after the truck is weighed, I'd just ship the heads to a friend or relative close to the new address OR consider shipping to a friendly FFL that you'll be glad to spend money with once you settle in. Heads in Free America aren't considered ANYTHING 'cept private property, so no transfer BS to worry about. If you never show-up to his / her place of bidness, he / she can sell them! It's a total win-win!

Some folks would make up the ammo and use it before moving.. Some folks would make up the ammo and barter among friends for stuff they needed prior to the move.. Some folks wouldn't ask any questions---they'd just STFU and do what they're gonna do...

Some folks think that black helicopters are already following them. Those people need to take some "Grow-A-Cet" , lol. 

One more thing: Remember Brian Aitken had to be pardoned by NJ Governor Chris Christy because although the mag charge "went away" since the cops never tested the 30-round mags to see if in fact they would fire round #16, THE HOLLOW POINT CHARGES STUCK! 

Rosey

growacet UCEM TTFU

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Find a range on the way that is out of NJ and print directions.  Since its a multi-day trip, you can say you are making the best of it and stopping at as many ranges along the way.  Only way they can prove you aren't going there is to follow you out of state.  ;)  

Or just obey all traffic laws to the letter until you are out of NJ.  

Also with that much stuff, pack it up so you can't tell what it is and put it at the bottom.  Don't give them a reason to search your car.  Then they'd have to get a hollow point sniffing dog to find it.  

I remember facing that ridiculous hp situation when moving to FL. Decided no way was I remotely going to chance life altering setback by that fucked up state over some bullets. Went to Cherry Ridge for the last time (still miss that place!) And shot all my hp's in a massive "function check". Said fuck NJ with each shot lol.

On 2/24/2023 at 11:30 AM, Scorpio64 said:

I believe you would be protected by FOPA when transporting interstate where the final destination is outside NJ.

That is incorrect. FOPA protects someone passing through a state. At the origin and destination state, you are bound by state laws. But if you are moving, you are in theory traveling from one residence to another residence. Which is exempted in NJ. Alternately, if you don't like that, pick a range near the new place and if you do manage to get pulled over in NJ, that's where you are going. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

FOPA protects someone passing through a state.

FOPA is a federal interstate act, while it does bring up point to point origin and destination, interstate is the operative word here.  If one has an FPID and possesses hollow point ammo at home, which is legal within the exemption, and is transporting it to a state  that is not retarded about hollow point ammo, I do not see a problem.  NJ residence to PA residence is legal, origin to endpoint, even without the FOPA protection, which NJ residents wouldn't need if Trenton wasn't run by dick heads.

2 hours ago, raz-0 said:

. But if you are moving, you are in theory traveling from one residence to another residence. Which is exempted in NJ.

Unless I'm missing something that's how I read things as well. If you're travelling to your residence you're good to go. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Unless I'm missing something that's how I read things as well. If you're travelling to your residence you're good to go. 

Brian Aiken got screwed because "Moving" is not part of the exemption for possessing hollow points. From a store to home,  from a home to the range,  I dont think much else will save you in this state.

• Agree 1

And prior to Aitken many of us would have believed that the moving exemption, which applies to many other gun transport laws, would also implicitly apply to HPs. Bad assumption and Brian Aitken found out the hard way.  I believe HP was the only one that wasn't overturned on appeal. Makes you wonder what other interpretations have we made that would not stand up in court.

Aitken wiki

16 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Nevermind 

ETA: I see that he is now charged with attempted murder, right?

Yes. he got himself in another mess.  

He had said something distressing his mother that convinced her to call police.  Looking for sympathy?  That was what started the mess that got him arrested along with several other bad decisions that day.

I appreciate everyone referring to Aitken, but it's not analogous in the scenario that OP provides.

If he's loading up a vehicle in NJ and heading out of state to his new home, I don't see how that's anything other than going from one exempt place to another.  How friggin long is it going to take OP to get out of the state?

Yes we tend to look for the boogeyman everywhere and say that "NJ prosecutors will crucify you for XXXX" but I don't see that in this case.

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not OP, but I'd just load the shit in an un-marked box and move.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I appreciate everyone referring to Aitken, but it's not analogous in the scenario that OP provides.

If he's loading up a vehicle in NJ and heading out of state to his new home, I don't see how that's anything other than going from one exempt place to another.  How friggin long is it going to take OP to get out of the state?

Yes we tend to look for the boogeyman everywhere and say that "NJ prosecutors will crucify you for XXXX" but I don't see that in this case.

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not OP, but I'd just load the shit in an un-marked box and move.

Agree.  If you read the Wiki, the judge purposely did not tell the jurors of the of the exemptions and Christie ended up commuting his sentence and eventually pardoning him.  That judge should have been disbarred.  

• Agree 1