DonM77

Question 24/26 on Application for firearms purchaser

Hello, I'm considering obtaining my firearms purchaser ID and after doing some research this question seems to be brought up regularly I see. Not looking for legal advice per se, just looking for those who have similar life experiences and how you handled these questions. 

In short back In 2012 I was going through divorce, just lost my mother to cancer. Wasn't handling this well at the time. I voluntarily signed myself Into a mental hospital realizing that wasn't what I needed and signed myself out two days later. I wasn't treated, prescribed any medication and went on with my life. 

It's clear to me I must answer "yes" to question 26. However in "my" interpretation to question 24 would be "no" as I wasn't committed or confined as I left on my own free will. Question 24 seems to be regarding involuntary hospitalizations but I'm not lawyer.

If answering yes to 26 will this be an automatic denial? I see it's reccomended to have a letter from a dr when submitting the application, however I have zero recollection of the facility I was at 11 years ago. Would an evaluation be needed or advised prior to submitting as I don't recall the facility or wait and see what Gloucester township police department says?

Thoughts or opinions?

Edited by DonM77

New Jersey puts in extra questions and criteria that other states do not have, but New Jersey also considers it a"privilege" to own firearms.

I know that involuntary commitments are on record in the county solicitor's office.  I do not know if that is the only place that is checked for records.

From a criteria standpoint, it may depend on what "wasn't handling this well at the time" means, as far as inpatient care being recommended as opposed to outpatient care.

Let's  have others chime in...

I recommend consulting with a firearms attorney and see what they recommend. They will almost for sure say, get a letter from a doctor saying that you're OK to handle firearms. This will cost a bunch of money, both the attorney and the doctor, but I think it's better than having the cops discover your visit to the hospital and asking you, "Hey, how come you didn't tell us about this?"

1 hour ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

Actually, I think it might be worse than we are saying. I suggest going to gun.lawyer and listening to podcast #115. It talks about this very issue.

https://gun.lawyer/episode-115-thousands-turned-into-felons-fpics-void/

Wow, this actually makes me want to leave the state. Any ideas on what an expungment would cost? This is getting ridiculous. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

Actually, I think it might be worse than we are saying. I suggest going to gun.lawyer and listening to podcast #115. It talks about this very issue.

https://gun.lawyer/episode-115-thousands-turned-into-felons-fpics-void/

Thanks for sharing that.

Crazy.

There are probably a LOT of people who have no idea they were supposed to surrender their FID card within 5 days of Murphy signing his legislation so they're walking around as felony-level criminals...

11 hours ago, DonM77 said:

Wow, this actually makes me want to leave the state. Any ideas on what an expungment would cost? This is getting ridiculous. 

I suspect it's not cheap.

Call Nappan's office.  His website says it's a fixed-fee job, so they should be able to tell you:

https://www.evannappen.com/expungements/

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I suspect it's not cheap.

Call Nappan's office.  His website says it's a fixed-fee job, so they should be able to tell you:

https://www.evannappen.com/expungements/

He's in North Jersey and I'm in deptford area. Do you think he'd be able to help even though he's located almost almost 2 hours away?

22 minutes ago, DonM77 said:

He's in North Jersey and I'm in deptford area. Do you think he'd be able to help even though he's located almost almost 2 hours away?

Probably a question you should ask him?